Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Uncut DVDs

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: Uncut DVDs

Post by ALFicionado »

Thanks for the pics & info Mark. Can't wait 'til I get mine!
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

Fantastic news about the default being English. Thanks for the screenshots!
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

Wow! I'm really surprised that the menus are in english for that release. Makes it more user friendly for most of us haha
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
Jacky
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Jacky »

Good news, my set has also just arrived from Germany.

I guess you all know about the menus and the default language being English already. But here's some other technical details, the system is PAL. And the region-coding is 2 (Europre),4 (Central, S. America, Oceania) and 5 (Africa etc). The box has the globe logo with a 2 on it, meaning region 2, but on examination of the disc, I found it could accept regions 4 and 5 as well. I had read somewhere that the discs would have no region-code (playable in all countries) but apparently they do. That's a bit disappointing as it means our US friends now have TWO technical hurdles to overcome in order to watch the discs.

At the bottom of the box is a large circle with the following text in German:

FSK
ab
freigegeben

Anyone knows what this means?
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Well, I can't pretend to know German in the least, but I spoke with C-3PO (Google Translator) and this is what I got (see below) the only one I would bet any money on is the "released" translation, although the rest do make at least some sense. Could the "0" be the region code? I saw in at least one post that folks who have this are saying that it is region coded, so a "0" code (meaning region free) doesn't make any sense. maybe this means "Certificate as of 0 release" which I suppose could mean loosely translated as: "certified region 0 release" maybe? I don't know. Just a shot in the dark. Anyone else have any ideas?

FSK = Certificate
ab = off, away, from, as of
freigegeben = released (adjective= floating, open)
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
MichaS
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1988

Post by MichaS »

"FSK ab 0 freigegeben" is "For people from 0 years."
NiceIce
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1988

Post by NiceIce »

Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Just found my VHS of For Your Eyes Only I will have to find the Chipmunk song now!

"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

Yeah those UK VHS are totally uncut, there were four or five released.
ted
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: September 22 1986

Post by ted »

I've been watching the German release too. I've noticed a few other changes. I have all but 2 or 3 original broadcast episodes on VHS some of which my father made, I've watched them all many times and remember a lot about various scenes.

Here are the changes from the original broadcast episodes for the German season 1 release

Some episodes even have stuff added!

Pilot

When ALF gets off of the coffee table after waking up and walks in the the kitchen the like "She trusts me about as far as she can throw me" is added.

In the scene when Willie and ALF are in the bathroom 5 seconds are cut This is the dialogue removed. (I can't remember the exact quote but this is at least 95% verbatim

ALF: What's this about this guy Lash you don't like?
Willie: Lash? Who said anything about Lash?
ALF Well, Lynn and I got to gabbing last night and she sort of feels, (puts on Willie's glasses) gee, you're blind as a bat aren't you?

When Kate is telling Brian about ALF's mischief ALF's belch is removed from the scene when he slides the beer can across the TV

For Your Eyes Only

The scene when ALF and Jody are listening to the Chipmunks tape is removed.

Jump

Willie's dream sequence is longer

The scene when Willie is aboard the plane has extended dialogue with the instructor and another jumper

Unknown episode (either "Jump" or "Don't it make my brown eyes blue")
The post storyline sequence where ALF talks to the audience and says that NBC has renewed the show for the full season is removed. I have this sequence on tape and am wondering if NBC would mind if I posted it on Youtube. (I think it would be compliant with copyright law under the fair use doctrine as it is only about 90 seconds long)

Try to remember

the cause of ALF's amnesia is changed from an electric shock to a bump on the head. Two scenes are edited or removed. The scene with officer Griswold has a line cut when he mentions noticing an electric mixer in the bathtub and warns about the danger of appliances being wet. The scene after the show when ALF warns about the dangers of electricity is cut completely

I will add further details when I finish watching the set.
Last edited by ted on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

Thanks for this! Very useful information!
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Interesting! I think you can go ahead and upload it, several NBC clips are up and have ben up for a long time without any trouble.

Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

ted wrote:I
Pilot

When ALF gets off of the coffee table after waking up and walks in the the kitchen the like "She trusts me about as far as she can throw me" is added.

Try to remember

the cause of ALF's amnesia is changed from an electric shock to a bump on the head. Two scenes are edited or removed. The scene with officer Griswold has a line cut when he mentions noticing an electric mixer in the bathtub and warns about the danger of appliances being wet. The scene after the show when ALF warns about the dangers of electricity is cut completely

This episode was released uncut on DVD in Canada about 9 years ago.
Two points on this - The "she trusts me" line was in the original broadcast episode. Secondly the Canadian DVD version of this episode was the changed one where ALF has banged his head, not the original version with the electric mixer.

Both the post credits scene where ALF warns about the dangers of electricity and the scene were ALF talks about the shows renewal are both quite rare. It'd be great if you could Youtube them.

Thanks, some most interesting observations!

It would be great to see both the original ALF
WitlessWriter
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1995

Post by WitlessWriter »

Newbie here but been an ALF fan since it was syndicated where I lived. I really want to by the DVDs and now I am aware that the US ones have super-syndicated episodes (some at around 19 minutes!) but I was reading somewhere, that the European releases have the complete unsyndicated episodes, so I was just wondering whether this extended to the DVD released in the UK because generally when they refer to European releases, they are talking about mainland Europe. Any help with this would be much appreciated!
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

First of all: Welcome to the forum!

The DVD's have not reached the UK as far as I know, but that shouldn't stop you from ordering your copy from Ebay.de and get the German DVD who has the episodes uncut.

WitlessWriter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by WitlessWriter »

AxelFoley wrote:First of all: Welcome to the forum!

The DVD's have not reached the UK as far as I know, but that shouldn't stop you from ordering your copy from Ebay.de and get the German DVD who has the episodes uncut.
Thanks for the welcome. It's not just the German ones but I think the Czech ones too -- unfortunately I don't understand a word of German, thought I've been told it's even funnier than the original. I am still going to get the syndicated versions -- I just really want the unsyndicated ones because that's half the fun. So I've signed that petition but only 153 people have signed it. Maybe there needs to be more publicity for it -- clearly, it's popular. This message board is testimony to that.
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

The unsyndicated German DVDs are not German only, they also feature an English soundtrack (as well as French and Spanish) so you should have no problem with them. I believe there are no English subtitles though, which is a shame. The only thing in German is the box :wink:

It might also be noteworthy to mention that amazon.de has a smallish discount (23%) on the season 1, going for 23euros at the moment.
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

WitlessWriter wrote:

Thanks for the welcome. It's not just the German ones but I think the Czech ones too -- unfortunately I don't understand a word of German, thought I've been told it's even funnier than the original. I am still going to get the syndicated versions -- I just really want the unsyndicated ones because that's half the fun. So I've signed that petition but only 153 people have signed it. Maybe there needs to be more publicity for it -- clearly, it's popular. This message board is testimony to that.
Like the previous poster stated, it has English audio, so no need to worry about that. You've been told the German version is even funnier than the original? Well, I'm sure a German told you that, they say that about every dubbed show there is, basically, because they are not used to the English audio. Growing up with German audio on every show and then hearing the original English audio many years later, naturally they'll feel that way.

Which petition are you referring to? Not the ridiculous one where those who signs vows to pay 100 dollars each to get the complete series uncut?

WitlessWriter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by WitlessWriter »

AxelFoley wrote:
WitlessWriter wrote:

Like the previous poster stated, it has English audio, so no need to worry about that. You've been told the German version is even funnier than the original? Well, I'm sure a German told you that, they say that about every dubbed show there is, basically, because they are not used to the English audio. Growing up with German audio on every show and then hearing the original English audio many years later, naturally they'll feel that way.

Which petition are you referring to? Not the ridiculous one where those who signs vows to pay 100 dollars each to get the complete series uncut?
That's great news! So it's just the episodes with dubbing? Nothing out of sync -- this is the best news I've heard in a long time! Thank you!

The petition I signed was linked at the beginning of this thread but I am guessing that's not the main one?! If not, do you have a link to one -- because I think it's time they released it properly. The fact this board is active is evidence enough, coupled with the fansites and that a YouTube user uploaded all the episodes and he got so many hits that he was picked up by the Powers that Be and they shut his account down and got rid of most of the episodes.

I am not sure if it was someone German but it was a poster on one of the forums I frequent and I think s/he saw the English audio first, then the German one but in any case, I am getting the German DVDs -- thanks for the link.

I just find it absurd that they won't release the DVDs in America or in the UK -- if there's English Audio for the German DVDs for the unsyndicated episodes, no reason why they can't transfer it to American and UK DVDs. That 'Bull-oney' excuse about the original reels being too delicate to work with just doesn't work any more -- how many shows/films pre-dating that have been transferred to DVD? Countless.

But I am not ruining my happy mood because the people at Lionsgate are so short-sighted! Thank you again for this!
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

WitlessWriter wrote:I just find it absurd that they won't release the DVDs in America or in the UK -- if there's English Audio for the German DVDs for the unsyndicated episodes, no reason why they can't transfer it to American and UK DVDs. That 'Bull-oney' excuse about the original reels being too delicate to work with just doesn't work any more -- how many shows/films pre-dating that have been transferred to DVD? Countless.
Well regarding this I actually found something interesting yesterday. On amazon.fr there appear to be 2 versions of the uncut ALF season 1, the German editions we all saw before and what seems to be a new edition with a slightly different cover, French box text and a release date that says 10 Feb 2010 (where the German edition was released in 2009.). The new French version also seems to have English subtitles.

Basically this could mean that the uncut dvds are gonna be release in under countries as well. Does anyone have more info on this? Can we expect to see an English edition soon as well?
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...