Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Is this edited?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Is this edited?

Post by Lucky-ftw »

Being in Australia and not having the dvds released here, I was considering buying them from overseas and was just trying to figue out if the episodes I have been watching on cable are the syndicated prints found on the dvds.
The episode "Can I Get A Witness?" was on today, and I timed it at 24 minutes 33 seconds (including the opening and closing credits sequences). So would anyone know if this is an edited version or an original print?
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Re: Is this edited?

Post by ALFanatic »

Lucky-ftw,

G'day mate, and welcome to the Forum. How are things in the "Land Down Under"?

Based on the run time you stated, it appears you were likely viewing an "uncut/original" episode of the "ALF TV Series". If so, consider yourself very lucky (just as in your name - HA!). Here in the U.S., all aired reruns of the "ALF TV Series" are "syndicated" (edited/cut) episodes.

Mike
Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Post by Lucky-ftw »

ALFanatic wrote:Lucky-ftw,

G'day mate, and welcome to the Forum. How are things in the "Land Down Under"?

Based on the run time you stated, it appears you were likely viewing an "uncut/original" episode of the "ALF TV Series". If so, consider yourself very lucky (just as in your name - HA!). Here in the U.S., all aired reruns of the "ALF TV Series" are "syndicated" (edited/cut) episodes.

Mike
Ah, thankyou. My main concern was whether or not to include the credits in the episode time. The pitcure quality I have seen in my few weeks now watching the show is fine, so the reasons for edited dvds that have been given are very misleading.
Don't know whether to bother purchasing the dvd sets now...but I don't see a region 4 dvd set forthcoming. A shame really.

Thanks for the response.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Lucky-ftw,

Although there are few, if any, ALF fans not upset about the ALF DVD Sets containing the "syndicated" (edited) episodes of the "ALF TV Series", there still remains the following reason to consider purchase of the ALF DVD Sets:

The DVD sets contain "new" scenes of ALF hosting and introducing the DVD's that cannot be viewed elsewhere.

Mike
twangle

Post by twangle »

also interviews
Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Post by Lucky-ftw »

ALFanatic wrote:Lucky-ftw,

Although there are few, if any, ALF fans not upset about the ALF DVD Sets containing the "syndicated" (edited) episodes of the "ALF TV Series", there still remains the following reason to consider purchase of the ALF DVD Sets:

The DVD sets contain "new" scenes of ALF hosting and introducing the DVD's that cannot be viewed elsewhere.

Mike
Yeah, you're probably right. I'll look into buying Season 1 from overseas for the unaired pilot episode as well.

Now just to find a region free dvd player...
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Lucky-ftw,

Information that may be of help. Not 100% certain, but I have been told by several "computer experts" that DVD drives on most computers are "region free" DVD players.

Mike
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I have never had my problem playing the ALF DVDs on my computers (my wife and I have two laptops and two desktops...no problems playing on any of them...the DVDs were also fine on my old laptop that I recently sold).
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by ALFan »

I have not tried playing my set on my computer until I read this.It worked good for me too.
-ALFan-
twangle

Post by twangle »

same here although im going to buy another set soon.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

CLARIFICATION:

My reply to "Lucky-ftw" was meant to advise him that he may be able to play a Region 1 DVD (intended only for North American distribution) on his computer DVD drive, although the DVD will not play on "region specific" DVD players that are sold in Australia.

Mike
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by ALFan »

Oh,OK.
-ALFan-
Lucky-ftw
Cat Wrangler

Post by Lucky-ftw »

Thanks guys, will definetly look into buying them now. I've only been watching the show for a few weeks, and I'm already getting the dvds - that's how good the show is.

I also take it that's its pretty rare to find uncut episodes in syndication?
twangle

Post by twangle »

hey, stay in contact more. ok?
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Lucky-ftw,

FYI, the use of any variation of the word "syndication" in the TV industry almost always implies content has been edited to allow for addition comercial time. In answer to your question, today it is extremely rare to discover that "uncut" episodes of ALF are still being aired.

Mike
twangle

Post by twangle »

ok
twangle

Post by twangle »

my words were cut of , as i was going to say his right in only the episodes that took more than 20 minutes. i should know!
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by ALFan »

Where could you find them?
-ALFan-
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I just wanted to post this. As being one of the few Canadian residents on the forum, I wanted to bring to everyones attention that when ALF aired on the Family Channel here in Canada, the majority of the episodes where the original, unedited versions so we were pretty lucky. I did notice that some had removed content as by seeing scenes in the ending credits that did not appear throughout the episode.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by ALFan »

You Canadians are lucky.
-ALFan-