Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

NEW SWEDISH ALF ARTICLE INCLUDING A PIC OF MICHU!!

Discuss anything regarding ALF on the Internet here. If you have a favorite ALF site you want to share, or even an ALF YouTube video this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

NEW SWEDISH ALF ARTICLE INCLUDING A PIC OF MICHU!!

Post by ALFicionado »

A Swedish paper published an article today in our countries' biggest paper called Aftonbladet. It is mostly about the very anonimous Mihaly ”Michu” Meszaros. I will translate it for you below:

What are you doing nowaday, ALF?
Read what happened to our favorite alien ALF

He came from the planet Melmac and loved cats - as food. But what really happened to the main star in one of the 1980's most popular sitcoms? The answer is spelled "Circus", horrormovie & Blossom.

ALF crashed straight into the Tanners garage & in to the hearts of TV-viewers on September 22nd 1986. 82 episodes (horrible fact check-up) and 4 years later the sitcom with the furry alien had become one of the most popular sitcoms on TV.
Here is the story of what happened later with the hairy favorite from Melmac, Gordon "ALF" Shumway.
It was, of course, not a real alien that became a guest unvoluntarely at the Tanner family (Willie the father, Kate the mother & the kids Lynn and Brian)

Circusartist

The little furrball was played by 2 persons. The now 55 year old Paul Fusco, the shows creator was the voice of ALF and managed the puppet that was used when the alien was shown half-figured. But when ALF was to be shown in full figure on the screen, the circus-artist & actor Mihaly ”Michu” Meszaros was called in.
The shortgrown Hungarian, born in Budapest, was in 8 ALF episodes (not sure if this is correct) when the alien was going to walk and run around. But the puppet was used most often since the ALF suit was extremely uncomfortable & warm to work inside of during long hours in the strong studio-lamps shine.

Horror-comedy

After making a name of himself as a hairy alien "Michu" got a couple of small parts in movies at the end of the 80's in the family comedy ”Big Top Pee-wee” with Kris Kristofferson and in the horror-comedy "Waxwork". He also made stunts in the success-comedy "Look Who's Talking" from 1989.
Meszaros latest appearance on the big-screen was in 1993 in the movies "Warlock: The Armageddon" and as a mutated human in the cult horror movie "Freaked". Nowadays "Michu" lives in Beverly Hills in California, is a member of Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus and according to a report likes nothing better than drinking Scotch Whisky and smoking a cigar.
The ALF puppet & Paul Fusco has also been back in the spotlight after the show ended. The son of Melmac has been on different shows dring the 90's, among them being "Love Boat: The Second" Wave and "Blossom"

Here's the picture of "Michu", which must be VERY rare!!

R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: NEW SWEDISH ALF ARTICLE INCLUDING A PIC OF MICHU!!

Post by Admin »

He's allllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Thanks for sharing, and for translating! It's great to hear some news!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Yes, it is!! That's good news!!!
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

That's excellent! I've never seen Michu in anything besides ALF, but it's great to finally see another picture of him!
And thanks for translating! :D
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

As translated, Swedish newspaper mentions inconveniences of playing ALF in costume, but does not reveal any details as to why "full figure" ALF was totally discontinued.

At the time way back when, Hollywood Trade Newspapers reported that Meszaros was demanding that he be listed in cast credits as ALF. This demand being totallly unacceptable from Meszarous, or any subsequent replacements, Trade Parers reported was cause for termination of Meszaros, and decsion to go forward with exclusive use of only the ALF puppet.

Mike
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

Hmm, interesting. My theory would be that it was just too uncomfortable, and ALF simply didn't look like himself in full figure (and it was a little bit awkward for him not talking (let alone anyone) at all during those sequences), and that's why they discontinued it. But I guess since your theory is backed up by evidence, you get the points. :D
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

ALF,

I did not offer any personal therory on the demise of "full figure" ALF. I simply supplied information from articles that appeared in Hollywood Trade newspapers from that era.

Had i offered any theory, it most certainly would not have been based on the "inconvenience of costume", since I am factually aware of the tremendous toll actors are forced to endure when specific makeup and/or costume are integral to the storyline of any TV or movie production.

Mike
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

I know, I was just giving my theory (I didn't necessarily mean you had one) and expressing that it might have made sense if it were true. But obviously the evidence goes against it, so it can be scratched out. I didn't mean anything personal. :)
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Well, its grat that michu is fine.