Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF Season One on DVD Extras

Just buy a new pair of ALF underwear? Brag about your collectibles and merchandise here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

ALF Season One on DVD Extras

Post by ALFsince86 »

I had heard some less-than-enthusiastic opinions of the bonus material on Season One, so I decided to hit those first and make up my own mind.

First, I went to the Gag Reel. I usually am not a fan of gag reels and for the first couple of minutes didn't think I this would be any different, however, as I continued to watch I found them very funny and it renewed my old belief that ALF is not a puppet but a real alien, puppet's don't ad-lib.

Another surprise in the gag reel was that Max Wright seemed to be having fun. I had heard and/or read that Wright didn't enjoy his time on the series because of all the "bright lights", this apparently wasn't as true as the information I had heard.

Next, I watched the Unaired Pilot. I actually enjoyed the early scenes without ALF, because it established what the family was like. Most notably, Brian was, prior to ALF, a little wisecracker himself, so, although ALF influenced and encouraged him, Brian already had a penchent to joke, etc. (not uncommon for last born children).

Then there was the trivia. I agree that most of it is something life-long fans will already know, or bits of info you could pick up by watching first season episodes, but still, I thought they were OK and there were a lot of them, because I quit before they were done.

Overall, I would say the extras on Season One are good. For me, most of the time, they're aren't enough extras on DVDs. For example, most shows from the 1950's to about the early 1990's would wish viewers a "Merry Christmas" on Christmas Day, or the night of their Christmas episode, you remember: "From all of us to all of you, etc. etc." Well, I wish DVDs would include those. I also think ALF DVDs should have ALF's intros and exits to commercials included in the extras, remember: "Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I've got your cat!" And who could forget: "I'm coming back sooner or later, so stay right there, you couch potater!"
pacman23
Cat Wrangler

Post by pacman23 »

i remember when he says htat sutff to go to commercial lol i have the original eps on vhs son on dvd so i can save them but yeah thos were funny lol

remember: "Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I've got your cat!" And who could forget: "I'm coming back sooner or later, so stay right there, you couch potater!
" nevermind the curtains put me out !! "
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I like the extras on season 1, an unaired pilot + gag-reel and a trivia is pretty darn good. And it sure beats having no extras at all like season 3 & 4.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

I didn't realize there weren't any extras on Seasons 3 & 4, I figured they would have put on more animated episodes.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

That wouldn't have been good extras if you ask me, not more animated episodes, they should get a separated release.

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

My idea of good extras would be what I mentioned before (Christmas greetings, intros and exits) and interviews with ALF, ALF on Hollywood Squares, etc.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

I gree, those would be very cool to have, especially since they are so rare!