Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Why I Can't Get Enough of the Old ALFer

Are you new here? Post a thread about here so we can get to know you a little better!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Why I Can't Get Enough of the Old ALFer

Post by ALFsince86 »

As I am sure everyone here is aware, ALF premiered in September 1986. What you don't know is, I started sixth grade that year. That was back in the day when you stayed in elementary school for sixth grade, so I didn't have the challenge of going to Middle School and being a little fish in a big pond, but things were changing nonetheless.

None of my friends were in my homeroom class; which was a first for me! That made things seem strange. Then, in October, I found out we were moving to Virginia; my Dad worked in the Pentagon. My Mom didn't like the idea of the move, so that made it difficult, too.

To make a long story short; I think my attachment to ALF is psychological. We had a lot of similarities in those days: He was from another planet; I felt like I was from another planet (DC was much more fast paced then Beavercreek OH), he was difficult looking; with puberty and putting on a little weight, so was I.

The difference between ALF and I was that he didn't seem to let any of that get him down. Oh, there were the occasional references to Melmac and feeling lonely, but for the most part he was a forward-thinking alien and he didn't let anyone rain on his parade.

This might sound really stupid; but that's what I admire about ALF. He doesn't let anyone take him down. I think that's the same feeling I have for Jerry Lewis, too.

Anyway, I realize I already introduced myself, but I wanted to introduced where my fandom for ALF began and hoped all of you would share your ALF stories.

THANKS!
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Thanks for sharing your story.

You got me thinking about why I like ALF so much. When I was a kid we always watched ALF together as a family, and my father taped the episodes. As I was growing up my twin brother and I would watch ALF episodes over and over...and over...and over...and well, I still watch them over...and over...and over...(okay, I'm done now).

Thank you for bringing back so many fond childhood memories :)
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Having both played the game and won/lost significant amounts of money betting on the game, football is right up there at the top of my list of passions with ALF.

After only a few episodes in the first season of ALF, I was faced with the agoninzing dilemma of attending Monday Night Football parties, or staying home to watch ALF in real time while also taping the show, which resulted in missing a half-hour of Monday Night football, in addition to no attendance at the weekly parties.

Before the end of ALF's first season, I had come up with an acceptable solution. No Monday night parties, but two TV's side-by-side. One to watch Monday Night Football whle on the other, hooked up to my VCR, I was simultaneously watching and taping ALF.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

Admin wrote: I still watch them over...and over...and over...(okay, I'm done now).

Thank you for bringing back so many fond childhood memories :)
I totally agree with you. Alf is the best my best childhood memory too. My dad & I watched it together and thats when we really bonded.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

ALF was a family affair with me as well (for the most part, my sister didn't like him, but 21 years later she's coming around). I remember introducing my Aunt Lois to ALF. I was about 13 and we were watching and ALF came on the screen and my Aunt Lois said "WHAT is THAT!?" I replied, "That's ALF", with the firm belief that everyone would know that ALF stands for Alien Life Form and he is living with an American family. I mean, it was typical, right?