Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Weird Science

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Amy

Weird Science

Post by Amy »

We´ve been wondering what the names of the planets were which Alf made Brian add to his planet model. We can´t remember and it begins to really drive us nuts...
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

The two extra planets (beyond Pluto) were called "Dave" and "Alvin"

Wow, that was one great episode! I love the part where ALF almost kills Willie with the TV.
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Re: Weird Science

Post by jantje »

Hi everybody,

I have all the episodes on DVD (it's not the official release) and I'm just wondering if there's a chance that certain episodes have been cut. Weird Science, for example. I remember very well that right after the intro there was a scene where Alf was standing at the counter asking Kate why she rinsed the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. Right after that he walked up to Lynn asking her what she was studying. However, on my DVD (and also in the video on youtube) the dishwasher-scene is missing, Alf walks immediately up to Lynn after the intro.

I've found other clues which make me think that the episodes are cut: after each episode during the outro music they show scenes from the episode, some of which are not included.

I'm really puzzled. Could somebody explain this to me? Thanks!
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

jantje,

Unfortunately, unless you have DVD's which were produced by transfer from VHS tapes of epispdes in the "original " ALF TV Series, you have the "syndicated" episodes of the ALF TV series where scenes have been edited from the episodes to allow for additonal commercial time in reruns. Even the "official" Seasons One - Four of ALF released on DVD contain the "syndicated" (edited) episodes which is a definte BUMMER!!!!!

Mike
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Post by jantje »

Thanks a lot, Mike! I can't believe the official DVD releases contain shortened episodes. Are they crazy?

Have you got an idea how I could get the original, full length episodes?
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Have you got an idea how I could get the original, full length episodes?
You would have to find someone who has the original airings on tape.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

jantje,

Adding to information posted by Admin, hopefully, you would have the good fortune to find someone who had the foresight to transfer the VHS tapes of "original" ALF episodes to DVD, for VHS tapes definitely subject to degradation over the many years since ALF TV Series originally aired 1986 - 1990. Also, if you were to find source with the "original" ALF episodes on DVD's currently in good condition, be advised that non-commercially produced DVD's deteriorate with the passing years. To insure continued quality, "old" non-commercial DVD's should be transferred to "new" DVD discs every 3 - 5 years.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

If I were you, I'd get the official DVD's anyway, they're still cool since ALF hosts them and all.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/