Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Update from QueenofMelmac

Post anything you want here. This is the place where you get away from it all. In short, this is a forum for "chit-chat" and things of that sort.

Moderator: Administration Team

QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Update from QueenofMelmac

Post by QueenofMelmac »

I just wanted to update you all. I haven't been around in a few days..And i probably wont be around as much as I'd like to anymore. I got fired friday...for the stupidest reasons and i need to find a job asap...which is gonig to be difficult because I'm not motivated at all..lol

Plus, my computer at home is givign me issues..like everytime i try and click on a topic here or any other site, it freezes forever. So that also prevents me from coming on here.

I am not having a good past week. I wish alf himself were here to give me a hug. Anyway, I have to start the job serarching process. This is not going to be fun.

~Samantha
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Sorry to hear about your job - I'm sure you'll find another soon (hang in there).

As for your computer troubles...maybe I can help you? I'm currently in the process of writing an article about "Computer Maintenance" (I'm a freak about that stuff)...if my computer isn't working just right I start going insane! Maybe when I finish it (hopefully in a month) you may be interested in looking at it?

A few programs I recommend (I'm assuming you have a PC here):

1) Search for the program Ad-Aware (install program, install the updates, and run it)

2) Search for the program Spybot Search and Destroy (install program, install the updates, and run it)

3) Search for the program Free Window Registry Repair (I think you can get it at downloads.com) - I think this would really help you out! I would guess you have a lot of registry errors, which is one of the main reasons computers run slow. If your computer is working well after using the first two programs I mentioned you probably WON'T want to run this one. If you run this program when your computer is working well you could (not very often, but I've seen it done) cause some problems (i.e. CD-Burner stops working and you have to reinstall the software). In short, why try to fix something that ain't broke?

2nd Worst Cases Scenario: Your computer just needs a fresh reinstall of Windows.

Worst Case Scenario: You have some hardware going bye-bye (I wouldn't worry about this though...unless you hear "clicking" noises or something coming from your computer)

Also, are you performing regular maintenance on your computer? Like Scandisk, Defragmenter, and do you have a GOOD anti-virus program? I recommend AVG Free Edition for anti-virus programs when people ask me.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

QueenofMelmac,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Since Mr. FixIt (Admin) appears to be assisting you with computer advice about which I know very little, I will just pass on some sage words of wisdom from "The Old ALFer" who has also had experience with unemployment.

"Stay optimistic, don't take things too seriously, laugh, and be sure to list me as a reference. Things have a way of turning out OK."

Good Luck with the job search, and stay in touch to let us know how you are doing.

Mike
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

Yeah, I'm really sorry about your job too. All you need is a little motivation and optimism (like ALFanatic said) and you'll be on your way.

Good luck!
ALF
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job. And it's a shame you can't be here as often, it's been nice having another regular on this board.

Best of luck to you.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

Thank you all for your optomistic words. I appreciate it a lot. I will take your computer advice admin. I have Norton Antivirus and Bigfix...but those came along with the computer. My computer recently crashed a few months ago..dont know why and i reinstalled windows. I lost everything! now my internet access is slacking...And i get logged off aol because it freezes. I treid going online to look for jobs and i couldnt because of it lol I just got on the alf forum out of pure luck!

Anyhoo, i will search for those programs. And i will keep you updated with my boring news lol. Thanks everyone <3
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Are you getting tons of pop-ups on your computer? Or are toolbars showing up in your Internet browser mysteriously? I'm guessing that you are. It may be from downloading music or free games and things of that sort (if you do it).

It sounds like spyware has invaded your machine.

I would make sure you run Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy once a week (or at least once every two weeks) and I'm guessing that would help prevent these problems again.

Can you keep us updated on how your machine works after you clear the spyware off it?

If you want any further help feel free to e-mail me (or I can give you my number and I would be glad to help you over the phone if you would like me too).
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com