Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Season 4 Missing Episode?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

UmbertoRobina
Asteroid Polisher

Season 4 Missing Episode?

Post by UmbertoRobina »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board. I just wanted to ask everyone if they noticed that Season 4 is missing an episode?

I looked on epguides I think is the name of the site, and the episode missing called HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER.

It's the first appearance of Willie's brother Neal. In the episode you find out that he was overweight for years, and recently lost all the weight.

Anyway, the only episode featured on the set is the one after Neal left, after staying for a few days. The episode after is featured, and is called THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE, which is where Alf Meets Neal for the first time.

So for them to call this season 4 is kind of a ripoff considering it's missing an episode.

Does anyone know why this episode was left out?
"THERE'S SO MUCH TO DO...AND ME WITHOUT CLOTHES!"
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

UmbertoRobina,

Welome to the Forum. In answer to your question, no episodes that aired during Season 4 of the original ALF TV series are missing from the "ALF Season Four" DVD set. There were 24 episodes in Season 4 of the original ALF TV series , and all 24 episodes are also on the DVD set, including the episode "HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER" which is the 1st episode on Disc Two of the DVD set.

Without going back to review my old VHS tapes of the "uncut" episodes from the original TV series, I do not recall if there was mention of Neil having been overweight in the "uncut" episode "HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER". Possibly, this could be reason for your confusion because I just watched the "syndicated" (cut) episode on the DVD set and there is no mention of Neil having been overweight.

Mike
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

It's the first appearance of Willie's brother Neal. In the episode you find out that he was overweight for years, and recently lost all the weight.
I believe you might be thinking of Neal's ex-wife Margaret. She was overweight for years, divorced Neal, then lost the weight.

BTW: Welcome to the forum!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

After a long draught im back!!!!

I just want to let everyone know that UmbertoRobina is not dreaming. I myself have found out that my Season 4 DVD set is missing that same episode. It seems some of you have it and some of you don't lol. If this is the case then Im gonna send mine back to the company and get it fixed because when I bought Season 4, I was expecting to get every episode. All I can say is that I better get that missing episode.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
UmbertoRobina
Asteroid Polisher

Post by UmbertoRobina »

Yeah, I checked every disc thoroughly. and the episode is just not there!

I wonder if there's some way to get my hands on that episode.

It sucks that I wasted 30 bucks on this set, and they have duplicate episodes in the same set, but couldn't get that episode on there.

The reason I know the episode ain't there is cuz the first episode of disc 2 is THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE.

Disc 2 consists of this.
THE FIRST TIME EVER I SAW YOUR FACE
LIVE AND LET DIE
BREAK UP TO MAKE UP
HAPPY TOGETHER
MAKE EM LAUGH
IT'S MY PARTY

So anyone buying the season 4 set, beware of this before buying.
I can't see there being 2 different sets, but if by chance there was?
wouldn't they have recalled the product?

Lions Gate should give people replacements if this is the case.
And I can't find a single place to file a complaint on their site.
I signed up for their message board and everything.

but anyway, thanks for welcoming me to the board.
I guess maybe I just got a bad copy of season 4?
so just to verify, you all have the episode I'm missing on your set?
do you have the duplicate episodes too?

just curious

Here's what discs 3 and 4 consist of on mine.

Disc 3
Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
Love On The Rocks
True Colors
Gimme That Old Time Religion
I Gotta Be Me
When I'm Sixty-Four

Disc 4
When I'm Sixty-Four
Mr. Sandman
Stayin' Alive
Hungry Like A Wolf
I Gotta Be Me
Consider Me Gone
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Disc 3
Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades
Love On The Rocks
True Colors
Gimme That Old Time Religion
I Gotta Be Me
When I'm Sixty-Four

Disc 4
When I'm Sixty-Four
Mr. Sandman
Stayin' Alive
Hungry Like A Wolf
I Gotta Be Me
Consider Me Gone
Those are in a different order than mine (and my disc 3 has the episode "Make 'em Laugh" on it). You also have the episode "I Gotta Be Me" listed on both discs. Are you sure that you have the Lions Gate issued DVD set?
I looked on epguides I think is the name of the site, and the episode missing called HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER.
That is on disc 2 of the season 4 DVD set (just like ALFanatic's). You should NOT be missing it!

I currently own all of the ALF sitcom DVDs (season 1-4) as well as the original airings (from 1986-1990) and I can guarantee you that the DVD sets are NOT missing any episodes. However, I do recall two episodes from the season 4 DVD set that are actually on the season 3 DVD set (because the episodes are in production order, not air date order).

Season 1 DVD - 26 episodes (the set lists 25 but the episode "Try to Remember is a 2-part episode)
Season 2 DVD - 26 episodes (the set lists 25 but the episode "ALF's Special Christmas is a 2-part episode)
Season 3 DVD - 28 episode (the set lists 27 but the episode "Tonight, Tonight" is a 2-part episode)
Season 4 DVD - 22 episodes (two of them, "Fever" and "Mind Games" are also included on the Season 3 DVD set because they are in production order)

Grand total of all the DVDs - 102 episodes
Number of ALF episodes aired in the series - 102 episodes
Yeah, I checked every disc thoroughly. and the episode is just not there!
Two possibilities here:

1) Lions Gate changed the DVD set after its release (not sure why they would do that) - unlikely...
2) You have pirated DVDs that someone made and sold to you (and they missed an episode) and you have neglected to mention that these are not original DVDs). If they made illegal copies and sold them to you (and you thought they were original legally issued DVDs) they may be part of some criminal act here and you should look into it. Or something to that effect.

Any other possibilities I missed anyone?

Can you tell us where you bought your season 4 DVD set? We'd love to help you figure this one out.

Is there any way you can scan the insert (the list of all the episodes on each disc) and post it here for us to see?
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

UmbertoRobina & melmacian56,

While I do not doubt the accuracy of information in your posts, it is hard to believe "LIONSGATE" could have made such a stupid mistake as to distribute two different "ALF - Season Four" DVD sets. Unfortunately, nothing is impossible when it comes to stupidity, but I am inclined to agree with Admin that the probability is higher you may have somehow obtained/purchased "pirated" DVD sets.

Questions which may help to determine if you may have "pirated" DVD set, of have suffered from the extreme stupidity of a "LIONSGATE" error:

* As asked by Admin, source from where you obtained/purchased you DVD set?

* Did you obtain/purchase new or used DVD set?

* Enclosed in storage holder with DVD discs, was there a professionally printed "Episode Index"? If, so does the printed "Episode Index" agree in order and title with the episodes as they appear on DVD discs?

* Are ALF register mark and LIONSGATE trademark printed on disc label of each of the four DVD discs?

* Did you receive the storage holder (containing 4 discs) professionally printed both front and bacK, and on back side does LIONSGATE Proof of Purchase appear in upper right corner with LIONSGATE trademark appearing in lower right corner?

* Did you receive disc storage holder inside an outter protective sleeve with identical professional printing front and back as on storage holder, except back upper right corner of sleeve has cutout to show LIONSGATE Proof of Purchase from disc storage holder inside?

If, with any reasonable degree of certainty, it can be determined you did indeed receive legitimate Season Four DVD sets produced and distributed in error by LIONSGATE, then a possible next step may be to communicate with the head guru at "TvShowsOnDVD.com" website who from past information releases seems to have contact with LIONSGATE.

Believe me, I feel your pain and would also be most upset, if I were on your side of this issue.

Mike
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

Wow Fanatic, that was really detailed.
But anyway, im kind of confused with your question. Because I didn't feel like an episode was missing. I'd certainly like to see more episodes lol. But really im just more concerned on why they put the episodes on the dvds out of order. But i had that question answered in another thread even though im not thrilled with the answer.

anywayt,Why would they call the episode HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER if it was his ex that was heavy? thats strange...
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

anywayt,Why would they call the episode HE AIN'T HEAVY, HE'S WILLIE'S BROTHER if it was his ex that was heavy? thats strange...
All ALF sitcom episodes are named after songs (sometimes there are one or two words changed). The episode "He Ain't Heavy, He's Willie's Brother" is named after the song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" (one could assume) and that is an example of words being changed. The word heavy could mean many different things to different people. For me, it could mean that Neal puts a lot of "weight" on Willie when he's around. For you it may be different.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I think I may have an answer to the problems,

UmbertoRobina,
Do you reside in Canada? I am a Canadian citizen and purchased mine here and therefore that makes my set different from US Residents because a company called "Maple" releases the sets in Canada but they are still made by Lionsgate. I just e-mailed Maple about the missing episode and am waiting a response. I better get that missing episode! hahaha

I'd like to fill everybody in on some interesting trivia facts about the ALF DVD's in Canada:
1) All of our season sets have the discs packaged in that same annoying fashion as Season 1.
2) Our sets DO NOT include inserts that have the episode listings for each disc.
3)The cover art label on the side of the case for the Season 2 set has the picture of ALF on the bottom. I don't mean the jacket over the case. Im talking about the case itself.
Yes it is a bummer for us Canadians but it doesn't really bother me. I'm just glad we get ALF on DVD.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmacian56,

It's possible you may be onto something, but it still doesn't seem logical that "LIONSGATE" would have spent time and money to make two separate production runs ( U.S. & Canadian) of the discs for the Season Four DVD set, since we are both Region 1 format.

Please let us know, if you receive any response from your Canadian distributor.

Mike
UmbertoRobina
Asteroid Polisher

Post by UmbertoRobina »

ok, I will say this one more time, I'm not lying as to the listing of the episodes. I, much like you, find it really weird also.
There's no inner sleeve with episode listing, which I think sucks about the packaging. I always liked when they list the episodes in the packaging, much like my Miami Vice,A-Team,Airwolf dvd's and pretty much every other dvd I own.

I did contact Gord Lacey probably a week before I signed up for this board, and he was really no help. He never offered to get me in contact with Lionsgate or anything, because I doubt he could.

I'm gonna check my ALF dvd's right now though.
About the Heavy episode, it may be a song, but it usually has something to do with the episode in some way. I think it was mentioned somewhere back on the original episodes somewhere that Neal used to be fat, and lost all the weight, but I haven't seen the episode in years, so my memory is a bit fuzzy. I don't think I'm mistaken on this. But I could be wrong. But I'll believe it isn't true when I can see the episode for myself.

ok just checked out the dvds, and yes it's distributed by Maple in canada. I ordered it from a store up here called cdplus, which has a website called http://www.cdplus.com. No inserts of any kind, and it lists Lionsgate, and under it lists Maple on it. These are legit dvds! not bootlegs. I wouldn't buy bootlegs even if i had the opportunity, unless they were good quality, and were rare, which these aren't. Why buy bootlegs when ya can buy the real thing in a store?

but anyway, if you hear anything from the distributor Maple, or whatever, please let me know! I wanna get what i paid for with these, so they better offer some kind of replacement or something.

thanks everyone for the help.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

Well now we know what the answer to the problem is. I know CD Plus still carries ALF DVD's because I seen them there when I visited the store last night and they are all manufactured by Maple. I still havn't got word from Maple yet. I did try contacting Lionsgate but their tech. support address is incorrect and it sent my message back to me.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Just had two thoughts.

1) I would try posting on the Lions Gate Forums - I think there is still an ALF section (unless it has recently been removed).

2) Next week I'm going to write to Paul Fusco regarding this. If anyone can/will fix it it'll be him. If we can get some action I can post something on the website (a place people can contact/write to get their problem fixed).
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

While your writing him maybe you could ask him about giving us unedited episodes lol
UmbertoRobina
Asteroid Polisher

Post by UmbertoRobina »

any help would be greatly appreciated. I was all happy that I had the entire series on dvd finally, and now finding out that it's not the case, is just disappointing to say the least. I mean sure it's only one episode, but I don't know, it still feels like I don't have the whole thing.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate it.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

UmbertoRobina & memlmacian56,

Should you individually determine that considerable time and effort spent attempting to get satisfactory resolution from "MAPLE" will be unsuccessful, you may wish to consider this suggestion. Writeoff your loss from original purchase, and reorder tha ALF - Season Four DVD set from a U.S. source that offers shipment to Canada.

If interested, here is link to reputable online U.S. source to checkout:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct ... Id=5751344

Note: Free shipping offer only available in U.S. Shipping Instructions state Canadian shipment only to street address (no PO Box) and would be via USPS at standard charge of $5.95. Estimated delivery time is 7 to 10 business days. Total payment for order and shipping in U.S. funds only!

Good Luck,

Mike
UmbertoRobina
Asteroid Polisher

Post by UmbertoRobina »

yeah I thought of that.

If I don't figure out a way to get a replacement, that's what I might do.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

Well I really shouldn't have to order a new set because of "someones" shortcomings. If I don't get an e-mail back soon they will be getting a phone call from me.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmacian56,

I totally agree you are due satisfaction or, at the very least, refund of your purchase price; however, based upon personal experience, there are times when no amount of time and effort spent result in satisfaction.

My sugggestion was ony offered as an alternative, should "you" eventually conclude that the probability of satisfaction is so low as to not warrant ongoing, additional expenditure of time and effort.

Mike