Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Can we get this forum going again!

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

Steven
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1986 (was it that long?)

Can we get this forum going again!

Post by Steven »

Is this the oldest ALF forum on the net? It seems like it might be.

I'm really happy ALFTV.com is still around and that people still post here. It would be good to see the forum revived, with daily visitors and an active community. Are there any regular visitors / readers / lurkers?

Post below and let us know you're still around!
Alfcollector
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Can we get this forum going again!

Post by Alfcollector »

Still here. Still collecting Alf!

ALFectionately yours,

ALFCOLLECTOR
Cheechochic
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1987

Post by Cheechochic »

Yes!! I love the fact this site exists. I check now & then for new signs of life, but since I'm not an O.G. I don't want to just kinda take over.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

This website hit the 18-year mark a few days ago! I have a re-design on the bucket list, and just need to pull the trigger on it. The current website design is from 2010, and the forum software is semi-current (phpBB3.2...an update to 3.3 would also be appropriate).

Would LOVE to see this place get more active again! Unfortunately, other forms of social media have turned forums/message boards into "dinosaurs." :(
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Cheechochic wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:11 am Yes!! I love the fact this site exists. I check now & then for new signs of life, but since I'm not an O.G. I don't want to just kinda take over.
Absolutely nothing wrong with new members brining life to a forum. Take over and post as much as you'd like!
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

I'm all for breathing life into the forum again. When I joined way back in 2006 (when the show wasn't even 20 years old yet), the forum was super active and bustling with daily activity. I got lucky (the adjective, not the cat) that this username was somehow available, and I had a great time talking about ALF-related stuff for a good while. As social media took off, I spent less time here... but not because I was getting my ALF fix from social media. In fact, the only place I have ever discussed ALF online (apart from the now-dead IMDb message boards) was on this forum.

My love for ALF has never gone away, but I think it's normal for certain interests to take a front seat in your life for a while and then move a little further back. I was 14 when I joined, and the types of things you're into at that age sometimes stick around and sometimes don't. I still love ALF, and I still get giddy every time I see him somewhere I don't expect to see him (in a commercial, in a sketch on SNL, on a shirt, in a meme, or pretty much anywhere else). I still proudly wear my ALF t-shirt and fondly remember a lot of the show's episodes. But as I've grown into adulthood, I've found other interests too, so I don't think about him every single day.

Still, I have popped back onto this forum every once in a while just to see what was going on. When I was 14, the majority of my time online was spent on MySpace, Facebook, and the ALF TV Fan Forum. Let's just say that even though the latter isn't as active as it once was, it has aged much better than the first two.

ALFicionado said it best:
ALFicionado wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:36 amAbsolutely nothing wrong with new members brining life to a forum. Take over and post as much as you'd like!
The future of this forum is in your hands. New fans shouldn't hesitate to jump in and start talking! The only way fanbases like this can live on is by transcending generations. That's why it's so important for the show to get onto streaming platforms in order to be widely accessible to newer audiences, and why it's so important for those newer audiences to come together and celebrate their collective passion for the show and for the character. This forum is one of the best places you can do that.

Post away! :D
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

It'd be great if the forum got active again. When I joined in 2007, it was really active and with lots of discussions which was really cool to see even 17 years after ALF ended.

I'm just speculating, but I think since then, forums in general aren't as active. I'm sure there are quite a few that are still going strong but I think social media and reddit took over. Whatever anyone wants to discuss there's either a Facebook group for it or on Reddit. Twitter aswell and hashtags. Someone thinks of ALF and types, "Anyone remember #ALF?" and then the talk goes there.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

So true, with the explosion of social media over the last decade these phpBB forums have become "dinosaurs." I'll be honest in that I have not done a stellar job of engaging the membership. Even something as simple as sending out an email newsletter once or twice a year to members here would help them remember this place still exists.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Cheechochic
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1987

Post by Cheechochic »

Absolutely nothing wrong with new members brining life to a forum. Take over and post as much as you'd like!
[/quote]

Made my way back after half a year later..thanks for the invitation! :D
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I think most of it was the lack of ALF news and activity. There was a really long gap without any merchandise or any activity from ALF himself. With Shout Factory's recent acquisition of ALF distribution I hope to be here on the forum more.

By the way, hello everyone! It has been a while!
"Oops, I made a boo boo".