Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Greetings from Russia

Are you new here? Post a thread about here so we can get to know you a little better!

Moderator: Administration Team

Alien1992
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: late 90s

Greetings from Russia

Post by Alien1992 »

Hi everyone,
I've had warm feelings for ALF since my childhood, my gosh, I can't even remember how old I was then I first saw ALF on TV, maybe I was 5, maybe 6 (it took place in the late 90s).

It was so hilarious and heartwarming that I immediately fell in love with it. So did my parents and my older brother. We were watching the show together, and sometimes I feel sad about impossibility of returning those happy momemts. Such bright and encouraging thing as ALF shows us that you can live happily and without bitterness, if there are love, understanding and supporting in your family. Perhaps, it's the main message of the show. For me it really is. By the way, this show gained a great popularity in Russia in 90s.

After that I went to shool, and I watched ALF a couple more times in 00s. Now, when I can somehow speak English (it's far from perfect, but I'm trying) I've decided to watch ALF with the original voice acting. For now I've discovered several jokes (new ones for me), that have been ruined by translation into Russian :lol: But in favor of the translators I can say that most of these jokes are very difficult (or even impossible) to translate without loss of meaning. It could be a pun (as it turned out for me ALF has plenty of puns) or a joke that requies some specific knowledges about American pop-culture. And it's always interesting to learn some new idioms or slang in foreign language. So ALF brings me poitive emotions even now, when I'm 26!

'But we are separated by history, ideology, economic philosophy' - Kate said these words in the episod 11, season 2. Kate Tanner is, of course, kind, intelligent and beautiful woman, but I think if we start to speak such words less, these distinctions might vanish some day, or at least lose their importance.
PS Peace and prosperity to all of you.
PPS Special thanks to the selfless ones who have had enough patience for reading my (maybe tedious and pathetic) discourse till its end.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: Greetings from Russia

Post by Admin »

Welcome!!! Great to have you hear.

You speak very good English!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com