Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Recent Spam Attack

If you have any questions or comments regarding this forum or website you can post them here. Questions will be responded to promptly by one of the Administrators. Any important news, such as updates and down times, will be posted here as well.

Moderator: Administration Team

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Recent Spam Attack

Post by Admin »

As some of you may have noticed, spammers targeted this forum last night and made over 1000 spam posts. I have removed them all, but unfortunately the trivia contest post was lost in the process - I have a backup on my computer and am in the process of restoring it.

In the meantime I have taken a few precautions/measures to insure that this will not happen again. I have turned off all guest posting (which will most likely be permanent), and I have enabled account activation for all new members - people can register, but they must wait until I activate their account manually before they are able to post (not sure if this will be permanent or not).

If anyone has any alternate suggestions that I may not have considered please let me know - I am very open to any ideas at this point to make the forum a safer environment for all of us, thanks!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Admin,

If possible, any way of adding prominent "GUEST NOTICE" explaining that recent spam attacks have necessitated termination of "Guest" posts in order to protect overall security of the Forum.

Explanation may help sooth what may otherwise be some upset feelings.

Mike
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I wasn't able to confirm it, but I have a strong hunch that the people who attacked the forum are the same people who were spamming the guestbook (some of the website URL's were the same or similar). I redirected the guestbook traffic to the index page, so looks like they came here next - this website must be a very good target, or a very easy one...probably the latter. I'll keep you all posted on any progress I make in terms of forum security.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com