Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF The Movie

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

ALF The Movie

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Wow! Hopefully you will have read the ALF 25th anniversary newsletter and discovered the news about ALF The Movie! :D

What is everyone expecting from the film? :D

"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: ALF The Movie

Post by Admin »

I'm just hoping that that the film uses the actual ALF puppet...and RALF!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Me too. Although maybe they could use CGI to remove the puppeteers arms so we could finally see ALFs elbows!

samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

True - CGI has improved by leaps and bounds. While I would love to see the original puppet in the movie, CGI could also allow ALF do certain things that he has never been able to do before because of the limitations of the puppet.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

CGI would probably have the benefit of attracting the young audience as well. Still want the "real" ALF though :)
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Yep Im quite curious about seeing a CGI ALF and think it could be a big hit.

Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 cost $75 million to make and made $447 million worldwide, so I think a CGI ALF film could do similar business if they got it right. Think of all the merchandise too!

Seems like the right time to make it too, lots of parents wanting to take their kids!

I wonder if it will retell the story of ALF crashing to earth, they may even recast the Tanners! Wonder who would play Willie?

melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I have to be honest. If ALF was completely computer animated for a feature film, it may ruin it for me. I wouldn't mind it if they used CGI effects to help ALF do required "Stunts" in the movie. They have to use the puppet. It just wouldn't feel the same if they didn't use the puppet.

The possible announcement of this movie has completely changed the landscape of the ALF fan base for me. There really hasn't been much to talk about in the world of ALF the last few years but this possible movie announcement has changed that. I am really excited about this news and I never seen it coming at all! Here's to hoping things go great and this movie gets to production sometime within the next few years! If Get Smart and The A-Team can make a return to pop culture, so can ALF! I'd be the first person in line to get my ticket along with my bowl of popcorn....and cat in arm...HA!!
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

I agree with melmacian, I'd be very sceptical about having a completely CGI Alf... I think the puppet still looks great. Not just that, it feels right. I mean it's the Alf that we've known for a quarter of a century. Change it all to CGI and it might not be good old Alfer anymore.

But then Caesar was amazing in the last Planet of the Apes. Hopefully if they go that route they'll have Weta do the animation.

Not sure about the plot... it would be great to get some of the Tanners back. Start the movie with Alf returning to Earth to see Willie and Kate once again and to share a tale of some grand adventure he's had in the meantime over dinner.
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I've been a little hesitant to share the following information (as I do not want to give up the hopes of ALF fans here at the forum), but feel it is necessary to contribute.

In August, I was contacted by Waterman Entertainment (http://www.watermanent.com/) - they wanted to get in contact with Paul Fusco regarding business. Needless to say I forwarded their request to Paul Fusco.

Waterman Entertainment did the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie (Stewart Little as well, forget what else), so by putting two and two together I think it is safe to assume that any new movie WILL by CGI. Waterman Ent. made the first move, and of course Paul Fusco is interested (as we read in the newsletter)...I think it is safe to say this movie is happening!

This was just in August, so it will be quite some time before we see a movie...
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I'll always have a dislike for CGI and what it has done to some of my favorite genres, but when it comes to an ALF movie in CGI or no movie at all, the choice is clear. I think a CGI ALF has potential, it gives him more freedom and all that. I think it'll be a mix between a remake and a prequel. They'll show ALF and the planet Melmac and then how he gets here, and his time on this planet with the Tanners.

Maybe some cameos will become available with some of the cast? That would be awesome.

Just thinking of all the potential merchandise this could create makes my mouth water. What a HUGE comeback this could be for ALF!
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

The more I think about it the more I dislike the idea of a CGI Alf. I just can't see how it would work... The new Muppets movie was filmed with puppets. Imagine a CGI Kermit. :?
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Sounds like they have a great company working on it, they made Casper too. I can see an ALF film having a budget of about $80 million, imagine that?!

Be nice if they used the puppet but enhanced it with CGI so we see more ALF full body shots and it would mean he could do more like he does in the comics. I expect the production company and Paul Fusco will be taking a close look at the new Muppets movie to see what can be done.

Maybe it's just me but I'm not that excited about a full ALF on Melmac film I would like to see the first twenty minutes or so set on Melmac then the rest on earth with some great ALF and human interaction!

Whatever happens it will be exciting stuff, just walking into Burger King and seeing new ALF toys gets me a bit giddy! :D

Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I was checking through some old emails today, and it is also possible that Paul Fusco could be in contact with Broken Road Productions (they did Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Sorcerer's Apprentice, etc.) - almost deleted the email and decided to re-read it. Forgot about that one when I posted a few weeks ago.

So looks like Waterman Entertainment and Broken Road Productions are the two real possibilities that I know of.
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Anyone seen latest The Muppet movie yet?

I watched it at the weekend and really enjoyed it.
Think it proves that an ALF movie could be done and they could use the puppet ALF and just use CGI to enhance certain shots, I had my doubts about this with the Muppets but it worked really well and I forgot all about any CGI being used.

Even the story of the film about an old show being forgotten and fans holding on for a comeback reminded me of all of us on here :)

samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Yes, The Muppets was a good movie. I can definitely see these film techniques being used on an ALF film.
ILoveALF
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Post by ILoveALF »

Is this a real poster or did someone do this for fun?
"I guess we`ll have to order in." ~ALF
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

ILoveALF wrote:Is this a real poster or did someone do this for fun?
It's a terrific fanmade one by our very own member Bring Back ALF :D
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Yeah, he does awesome work, including my ALF Wiki icon! ----->
Worm Raider
Cat Wrangler

Post by Worm Raider »

I believe ALF needs to stay strictly as a puppet. As far as the technology has come, once you know a character in a certain form, it's hard to accept it in any other way. Good examples would be Yoda and E.T. While I understand the use of CGI for Yoda for the fight scenes, I just couldn't see past the fact that it didn't seem right. E.T. was an even better example as I will never watch the 2002 version again. I hated that they altered original scenes by replacing him with CGI. It didn't fit the look of the rest of the film. I am glad Spielberg has taken the wise route of releasing only the original version remastered for Blu ray.
I also love Garfield about as much as ALF, but refuse to watch the movies. Without the original voice actor (Lorenzo Music passed away in 2001) and being in live action, it has no appeal to me whatsoever. I think the movies should stay true to the original work and as such believe Garfield should have stayed a cartoon.
Project: ALF, while not quite as appealing as the tv show, is a good example of how you can continue without changing the dynamic and look of the show/movie. I would actually really like to see Max Wright make an appearance. There is talk of ALF joining a new family and it would be nice to see Willie Tanner truly say goodbye before ALF starts anew. I think it would give true closure to that storyline along with Willie having the knowledge that ALF is safe and will be looked out after.
Ha! I kill me!
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Let's just hope it doesn't Smurf-up. I think ALF should be a puppet. Wonder if anyone of the original cast (other than Paul Fusco of course) makes an appearance. Anyone have any ideas about the plot ???? Will it be a reboot or a continuation ???? So many questions, so many questions. Does not compute, does not compute. :?
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !