Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Hey, German ALF fans!

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Hey, German ALF fans!

Post by thehackercat »

Hey guys,

I was talking with a German friend of mine the other day (while I'm somewhat conversational, I'm nowhere near a competent speaker yet :wink:), and he told me that he thought the German-dubbed version of ALF was funnier. Something about jokes, regional humor, and line delivery.

If there are any German fans on the forum, what is your opinion. And, while we're at it - Who among the multi-lingual folks on the forum have a favorite dubbed version, maybe just for certain episodes?

Yours in ALF-hood,
-Ray
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: Hey, German ALF fans!

Post by ALFicionado »

That doesn't surprise me one bit. They're born watching dubbed shows and movies, since everything is dubbed over there. It's only natural that many, or most of them will like the version they grew up with the best. It's like when I watch The Real Ghostbusters in English, it's just not what I grew up with (cartoons is the only thing we dub here in Sweden, not movies or TV-shows.)
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Hey, German ALF fans!

Post by samstokes80 »

I was watching some YouTube videos of ALF in other languages recently and I came across comments where people who spoke different languages were arguing as to which version had the best synchro. Since I was not familiar with how the word "synchro" was being used, I thought that it simply meant synchronization, and I questioned as to why this was not a moot point as the original English should be the best synchronization (in other words, the timing of the words matches the lips). They then explained to me what Ray's friend said about the jokes being changed to reflect regional humor.

I'm curious as well, would anyone would be willing to share what some of your favorite lines are from a dubbed version, that are different from the original English version of the dialogue?