Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

CGI ALF

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

CGI ALF

Post by thehackercat »

Many actors involved in the production of the original ALF sitcom have expressed the fact that there was much tension on the set. Tedious rehearsals and slow pace were required to make the puppet's movements believable and fluid, while actors didn't take nearly as long to get ready.

I was thinking today that if ALF had been filmed today, they might've used a 3D computer-generated model instead of a physical puppet. There could be full-length shots of ALF without having to use a suit or complicated trapdoor systems. Actors would've been a lot less stressed, and the show could've continued longer and time could've been spent focusing on other aspects of the show instead of technical problems.

Obviously the actors have split up, gotten older, and gone their separate ways, but I can't help but wondering... "What if?"
What are your thoughts on this?
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: CGI ALF

Post by Admin »

I never thought of that before...I could definitely see CGI for an ALF movie, not sure about a series though. Wonder if Paul Fusco ever considered it in recent years?
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

A CGI ALF? I'd rather die before I see that happen, to be quite honest.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Its an interesting idea, I bet they could make it look perfect but getting ALF's mannerisms right would be the tricky part and that's one of the things we all loved about him.
The last Star Wars film had CGI Wookies in it but they didn't seem quite right but I couldn't tell you why.

Still if a remake does happen one day it might be a nice way to have long shots of ALF rather then a man in a suit, I would like to know what Paul Fusco has to say about CGI.
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Since Fusco is first and foremost a puppeteer, I don't think he'd be too fond of the idea.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Post by thehackercat »

What if Fusco could use a motion-capturing puppet to record the animations? It'd be a lot closer to the real thing than outsourcing it to some animation studio.
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

thehackercat wrote:What if Fusco could use a motion-capturing puppet to record the animations? It'd be a lot closer to the real thing than outsourcing it to some animation studio.
Why bother doing Motion Capture Digital Puppet Manipulation when he can just do the real thing. Fusco is a traditional puppet guy, big fan of all the great puppeteers and ventriloquists. I can't see him being a big fan of doing live action ALF in CGI though there was the animated series.

The cast may have been tired after 4 seasons, but i'm sure they were happy with the pay check and fame at the time. I wouldn't take much notice .. i bet if they were offered the same thing again they would jump at the chance. ALF has been in syndication for 20 years, they have lived off the residuals. Actors just moan a lot, look at Charlie Sheen lol
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

I'd like to see Charlie Sheen made into a puppet. That way he can only speak when someone speaks for him. :D

But the whole reason why Alf was so special was because everyone looked at this puppet and imagined it was a real creature that talked. I never once focused on Alf as a puppet. To me, he really did exist and not seeing his whole body never crossed my mind. If they did decide to make Alf computerized I would be so angry. I hate technology and what they do with graphics now. It's totally deceiving and a money maker. I think Alf is one of the many rare things that should be left alone to appreciate over the years. Considering the lack of technology back then, Paul Fusco made Alf the most realistic alien i've ever seen.
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

QueenofMelmac ,

Charlie Sheen, he..he good one, I think that puppet will only say..Winning :mrgreen:

Ok back to the topic, CGI Alf, I think generaly my answer will be NO. Definetly Alf will lose his natural movements . Like you are saying there is conection between puppeter and puppet and Mr. Fusco with his assistents done a great job. Alf loked like he is a live also Max Wright said once that he sometimes felt that Alf is a live. I think Mr. Fusco mentioned that in this last interview.
I think the only way they can use CGI is the scenes where Alf is dancing or full body scene where he is running or something like that. :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
80sguy
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1996

Post by 80sguy »

Gordo wrote:The cast may have been tired after 4 seasons, but i'm sure they were happy with the pay check and fame at the time. I wouldn't take much notice .. i bet if they were offered the same thing again they would jump at the chance
I really doubt that considering most of them are no longer doing acting roles, and Benji Gregory who played Brian avoided acting completely after the early 90s, and his main reason seems to be because of Alf. Max Wright seems to be the only one who might be up to it because his thoughts on the show have changed greatly since it first aired, but even then it's seems it really left a bad taste in their mouths because of the technical problems.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

I don't fancy the idea of the CGI ALF. The puppet is more natural and looks like a real aline :) . Anyway most of us grew up with it so it would be a disappointment for it to change. Also like said before I don't think that Paul Fusco would like a CGI ALF a lot.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
Worm Raider
Cat Wrangler

Post by Worm Raider »

I'm just not a fan of CGI for characters such as ALF. While I agree with the sentiment about it looking better for the whole body shots as I have never felt the man in a suit looked right, I just don't think I would accept it as the ALF I've known. I do believe it can be done well and would bring a more realistic look that children and adults who might not have been fans could grasp easier. It's just become the norm for most recent films and I am just hoping that doesn't become the case for this movie. I love the character just the way he is flaws including.
Ha! I kill me!