Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

John LaMotta: ALF was the "worst work I ever did"

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

John LaMotta: ALF was the "worst work I ever did"

Post by ALF »

Say it ain't so! In a recent desperate grab to fill in cyperspace airtime because of a slow gossip day, TMZ dug up an unreleased 20-year-old blooper reel from ALF and highlighted the fact that our furry friend was seen swearing and shouting the N-word repeatedly. I'm sure that some of you have seen the reel since it first surfaced on YouTube, but even more shocking news to me is how John LaMotta (who played Trevor Ochmonek) said that "I thought the show 'ALF' was a piece of sh*t... worst work I ever did." Here's the full story:
http://www.tmz.com/2010/12/27/alfs-n-bo ... -defend/1/

In defense of Paul Fusco, the behavior was most definitely a spoof of a then-recent episode of L.A. Law, where a man has Tourette's Syndrome.

This news saddens me, as does my recent reading up and discovering how tense the set of ALF often was. Here's a paragraph from Wikipedia:
Max Wright has stated that he despised supporting a technically demanding inanimate object that received most of the good lines of dialog. He admits to being "hugely eager to have ALF over with." Anne Schedeen has said that on the last night of taping, "there was one take and Max walked off the set, went to his dressing room, got his bags, went to his car and disappeared. [...] There were no goodbyes." Schedeen herself said "there was no joy on the set [...] it was a technical nightmare – extremely slow, hot and tedious. [...] A 30-minute show took 20, 25 hours to shoot." While fond of her on-screen children, Schedeen said some adults had "difficult personalities. The whole thing was a big dysfunctional family." Schedeen added, "It's astonishing that ALF really was wonderful and that word never got out what a mess our set really was." Elson, who suffered from bulimia during the second season of shooting, stated, "If ALF had gone one more year, everybody would have lost it." John LaMotta said in 2010, "I thought the show ALF was a piece of shit ... worst work I ever did." Wright would eventually reflect more kindly on ALF, saying in June 2006, "It doesn't matter what I felt or what the days were like, ALF brought people a lot of joy."

Yikes! Was anyone else aware of any of this?
thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Re: John LaMotta: ALF was the "worst work I ever did"

Post by thehackercat »

I was. Yikes. I guess I wouldn't have liked the tediousness of producing the show either, but Max got it right: however much work it took, the show did bring folks a lot of joy. Which is why we're here 20-odd years later. :)
Last edited by thehackercat on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

I read this before, well what can i say, the actors are not always grateful on the projects that they worked, but say something like the show was a piece of sh#t it's very inappropriate and ungratful. Yes there were tension on the set, and it was hard to do, but come on the name of the show is Alf, just Alf,,,,and as a actor you must understand that the most of good or the best lines will go to him and that is that. Also Max shouldn't leave on last day like that, but I am glad that he said on his new interviuw about Alf that Alf bring people lot of joy..
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Bring Back ALF »

That's disappointing to hear, if its true that is, I wouldnt put it past TMZ to make something up saying he said that just to make a story.
I have read some nonsense on there over the last few years! :D
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
spanks_4
Phlegm Dealer

Post by spanks_4 »

Ok so as I was finishing up my ride on my newly acquired Alf big wheel I came across this. I had never heard anything from John Lamotta before, but the dude was a worthless slob and still is.
thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Post by thehackercat »

spanks_4 wrote:Ok so as I was finishing up my ride on my newly acquired Alf big wheel I came across this. I had never heard anything from John Lamotta before, but the dude was a worthless slob and still is.
Well, hey, he WAS Trevor. Maybe they casted him because his personality was conducive to the part. :)
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

The LaMotta thing has been discussed when the news first hit about the ALF blooper reel. As for the other stuff about the show, that is very old news that has been discussed on the forum before as well.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Just noticed that Alien Productions have been removing the bloopers clips on You Tube, first time I have seen that done from them.
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Yeah, I just read this recently and all I have to say to the "worst work I ever did" comment would be, "What other work did you do?" Yes, he has a modest filmography on imdb, but most of them are small parts or even bit parts. The one thing that most people will be likely to care about, or even remember him for, is ALF. If you're going to say it's the "worst work I ever did," you'd better be able to say what you did that was better or in any way more significant.
CirothUngol
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by CirothUngol »

Just noticed that Alien Productions have been removing the bloopers clips on You Tube
Yea, I've just become aware of those blooper reels and can understand why Alien Productions worked so dilligently to have them eraticated from the web. They're rude, crass, insulting, and portray a poor image for everyone's favorite furry alien. I must admit... they've done a very good job of removing those bloopers from the face of the web. It took me over an hour to find them (but I did eventually find them ^_^)
Me: I love my cat.
Alf: ...with mustard or ketchup?
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I still think people blew that blooper clip way out of proportion. I might take out the "questionable" segments and re-upload it to YouTube. Oh well...

As for John La Motta, I think it is amusing that he is bashing the show that did so much for him. Who would even recognize him if it weren't for ALF, and his work on ALF got him more work/gigs I would imagine?!
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

I wonder who put that clip together. It looks like they were intentionally trying to emphasize the more shocking moments rather than editing together a coherent and humorous blooper reel.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Wonder where they got all that footage too...think he/she worked on the set?
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Alflover24/7
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: I was born

Post by Alflover24/7 »

thehackercat wrote:
spanks_4 wrote:Ok so as I was finishing up my ride on my newly acquired Alf big wheel I came across this. I had never heard anything from John Lamotta before, but the dude was a worthless slob and still is.
Well, hey, he WAS Trevor. Maybe they casted him because his personality was conducive to the part. :)
Ha ha yup :)
He's quick I'll give him that!
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

I don't think any of the actors ( except for the actress playing Mrs. Ochmonek ) were in much of anything beyond ALF. I've never seen most of the Tanners in anything else and I only saw Max Wright in a low budget movie the Disney Channel used to run called The Boy Who Loved Trolls. I remember it well because as a kid I thought it was weird seeing Willie in another show.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

I heard max wright played a minor role in the first few episodes of friends, not sure if that is true or not.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:I heard max wright played a minor role in the first few episodes of friends, not sure if that is true or not.
True. He was the manager at the coffee house they hung out at.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/