Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

An inspiring story - A MUST-READ

Post anything you want here. This is the place where you get away from it all. In short, this is a forum for "chit-chat" and things of that sort.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

An inspiring story - A MUST-READ

Post by ALFicionado »

Two and a half years ago I heard about this guy, Steve Mazan, who was literally dying to do Letterman: http://www.dyingtodoletterman.com/

Here's his story from the website:

Here are three facts that will get you up to speed quickly:

1. My name is Steve Mazan.
2. I am a stand-up comedian.
3. I have cancer

For five years I was making a small but fulfilling living doing the thing I loved: making people laugh. I’m in my 30’s and have had a clean bill of health on every physical I took. Out of nowhere I experienced some terrible pains in my abdomen that eventually lead to a diagnosis of cancer in my liver and intestines. Surgeons removed 12 inches of my intestines, but were unable to treat the tumors on my liver. At this point in time there is no cure for the cancer in my liver. Our hope is that a cure or treatment will soon be found. Doctors told me that worst-case scenario, I have five years to live.

Surreal is the only word to describe my state upon hearing this news. I’ve always tried to be an optimist, but there seemed to be no upside to this news. As the shock started to wear off, and my mortality set in for the first time, I started analyzing my life. It was pretty good. I had already been living my dream. I had a loving family, an incredible woman, and what I considered the best friends in the world. But now I had to wonder if I had time to reach all the goals I had set for myself. This scared me the most. That the biggest obstacle in my way was one I never considered: time. I struggled on how to handle this.

It was my girlfriend (now wife), Denise, who asked me what the biggest dream I had left was. Almost before she finished her sentence I said, “To perform on David Letterman.” I had always planned on being on Letterman someday, but now I felt a deadline. My girlfriend smiled and said that is where all my effort should be put: into getting a spot on Letterman.

So that’s what I’ve decided to do. I’m pulling out all the stops, calling in all my favors, and harassing anyone who will listen to try and get a spot on Dave’s show. I’m also documenting all my efforts with a film crew. I’m hoping that the documentary will show a side of the disease not usually shown: someone living with cancer, rather than dying from it. I am also planning on donating proceeds from the film to a cancer fund I created called LaughStrong (inspired by Lance Armstrong’s foundation).

I hope my journey will inspire others, and remind anyone faced with their darkest hour that it is then, more than ever, that your dreams matter.

Touched by his story, I sent Dave an email and blogged about it as well, trying my best to spread the word. I also emailed Steve who was very gracious when he found out that the word had spread outside the US. We exchanged a few emails, after that I didn't hear from him again though I tried to keep myself updated on his situation.

Don't know if any of you here follow Late Show with David Letterman, but tonight his dream came true as he stood on that stage and performed on the Letterman show! I still haven't seen it yet since us Swedes are a week late, and it's not up on youtube yet, but I really can't wait to see it.

On top of that, I got this email from him today, bringing me the good news:

Hi Anders,

It took awhile, but...

I'm On Letterman tonite, Friday Sept 4th....Stay up late or TiVo it...and please know that your help and support helped get me on that stage.

Thank you & hope all is well on your end,

Steve

Truly a nice guy, he sent me that email by anwering the latest email I sent him, all those years ago.

What a great story, huh guys? I can't imagine how he must feel now that he accomplished his biggest dream in life. I only pray there will be a cure or treatment coming his way before it's too late.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Re: An inspiring story - A MUST-READ

Post by ALFanatic »

AxelFoley,

Your friend's story also covered in YAHOO! TV Blog:

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/dying-to-do-letterman--568

Mike