Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Going through season 4 for the first time

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Going through season 4 for the first time

Post by ALFicionado »

I'll slowly be going through season 4 of ALF in the coming weeks for the very first time, except for a few episodes I might have seen as a kid, that I have no recollections of. The reason I'll be seeing them in a slow pace is because I'm still waiting for my replacement disc to arrive.

I'll post some thoughts on each episode in this thread when I get around to see them.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: Going through season 4 for the first time

Post by Admin »

You're in for a real treat! The episode "Wanted: Dead or Alive" (in my opinion) is one of the best ALF episodes. Also, I very much enjoy the episodes where Neal comes to visit.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Definitely seems like I am, Jeremiah. I just finished the first 2 episodes:

Baby Come Back: Great first episode of this season, I absolutely loved it. After hearing bad things about season 4, I'm glad this highly entertaining episode reminded me that it's still ALF we're talking about, and that can't be bad. Many classic moments, I loved the beginning where ALF thinks Willie is making a Roseanne Barr or Dom DeLuise impression :lol:

Lies: An allright episode, nothing great but definitely more than a fair share of laughs.

ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Wanted: Dead or Alive: Good episode, but not one of my favorites (sorry Jeremiah). Felt a bit weird with Trevor turning Willie in and Raquel suddenly having the hots from him. A good episode nonetheless.

We're In the Money: Very good, ALF as a stockbroker? Come on, that's gold! Felt a bit out of character for Willie to let ALF handle their money, but it didn't bother me.

Something I've noticed is that Max Wright seems to have dropped 5-10 pounds or maybe more in this season, I wonder if there's any specific reason for this? Maybe he had some health problems, or maybe he simply lost some pounds, I don't know.

I also, of course, prefer the laugh that you always hear at the end of the credits that we've been hearing for seasons 1-3, don't know why they felt the need to change that all of a sudden. Guess it was all a part of the change the series took.

jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Post by jantje »

I think they should have changed that end laughter at least in the second season; it's Alf's early voice, which we can hear in the first half of season 1.

I couldn't agree with you more, AxelFoley, Raquel's sudden crush on Willie just came out of the blue. Things like that can happen, though, I mean it's not that rare that you suddenly fall in love with someone you've known for a long time. But certainly, it was a surprise. :)

As for Willie's behavior in "We're In The Money", it's really not like him. We know him as a man doesn't really care about wealth. Fortunately, he finally came to his senses before they could have lost everything. (I didn't notice his weight loss, but next time I'm gonna watch carefully :))

Well, speaking of season 4, I must admit that it's my least favorite season. It seems to me that they started to run out of ideas, and many of the episodes are somewhat less entertaining than those of the previous seasons.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

I don't know, I love that old laugh, takes us all back to that great pilot episode where it all began.

If you watch the seasons back-to-back, you'll notice his weight-loss when you get to season 4.

ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Mind Games: Already seen this from season 3, so I don't have any new thoughts on this episode.

Hooked On a Feeling: One of the more serious episodes, that kids probably didn't quite understand. Not that great but I liked the thought they put into this one.

He Ain’t Heavy, He’s Willie’s Brother: Decent episode, nice to finally meet Willie's brother, but I think they could have used another actor for it, he seemed to young to be Willie's brother.

jantje
Cat Wrangler

Post by jantje »

What about the age difference between Lynn and Brian? Or Lynn and Eric? :) Anyway, you're right, they could have chosen another actor; the one that portrays Neal is quite annoying to me.

What do you mean you've seen 'Mind Games' from season 3? Isn't it an episode from season 4?
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

jantje wrote:What about the age difference between Lynn and Brian? Or Lynn and Eric? :) Anyway, you're right, they could have chosen another actor; the one that portrays Neal is quite annoying to me.

What do you mean you've seen 'Mind Games' from season 3? Isn't it an episode from season 4?
Mind Games was included in the season 3 DVD-set, don't you own a copy of that? :lol:

The age difference between Lynn & Brian is not that significant, about 10 years. Willie's brother looks like he's maybe 20 years younger than Willie. As for Lynn & Eric, yeah, good point, but that's not something we often see happen, it's easier to accept when we've followed the family the way we have during the 4 seasons.

FYI, I have 2 half-sisters who are 18 & 16 years older than me :)

jantje
Cat Wrangler

Post by jantje »

My guess was 10 years of age difference, and I win, because the actual age difference between Max Wright and Jim J. Bullock is 12 years. :D

Well, I own illegal copies of the DVDs, which is shameful I know, but I have a good excuse: the original DVDs are not available here in Hungary. I'm going to order the new German uncut DVDs though, that's certain. :) Anyway, Mind Games and Fever appear on my illegal Season 3 set, but I thought it was a mistake. Why did they include these episodes twice? I mean, if they originally belonged to season 4, why did they appear on the season 3 set?
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

jantje wrote:My guess was 10 years of age difference, and I win, because the actual age difference between Max Wright and Jim J. Bullock is 12 years. :D

Well, I own illegal copies of the DVDs, which is shameful I know, but I have a good excuse: the original DVDs are not available here in Hungary. I'm going to order the new German uncut DVDs though, that's certain. :) Anyway, Mind Games and Fever appear on my illegal Season 3 set, but I thought it was a mistake. Why did they include these episodes twice? I mean, if they originally belonged to season 4, why did they appear on the season 3 set?
Yes I know the age-difference is not THAT much, but it certainly LOOKS like they're that many years apart, which is why I think they could have chosen another actor for the part. Maybe he'll grow on me though as I've only seen 1 episode with him so far.

Fever & Mind Games are on the season 3 because they were produced while they were making season 3, but decided to have them in season 4 instead.

ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

The First Time I Saw Your Face: Another "not that great" episode featuring Willie's brother. The episodes with him just doesn't do much for me it seems. I hope it gets better though.

Live and Let Die: I really liked this one. I mean ALF as a cat lover? Who would have thought! Some really good lines & scenes in this one. I'd give it an 8/10.

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Live and Let Die: I really liked this one. I mean ALF as a cat lover? Who would have thought! Some really good lines & scenes in this one. I'd give it an 8/10.
"Are you telling me you have never seen a kitten?"

"Well, I've seen bits of them in chowder..."

:lol:
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com