Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Recent Spam Problem

If you have any questions or comments regarding this forum or website you can post them here. Questions will be responded to promptly by one of the Administrators. Any important news, such as updates and down times, will be posted here as well.

Moderator: Administration Team

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Recent Spam Problem

Post by Admin »

Well, I think I may have taken care of our recent spam problem. Spam registrations are no longer seen at the bottom of the index page, but I still need to log into the control panel and delete them (a couple clicks and they are all gone, so it's really easy). There should also be no more spam posting.

I've had a few members private message me when there was a strange post, or a questionable registration, so I appreciate your help in bringing that to my attention.

Once again the spammers lose! They get their feet in the door here and there, but never for long.

Admin = score too high to count
Spammers = 0
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Blinky
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since:  

Re: Recent Spam Problem

Post by Blinky »

gratzie, thanks.

how does that work anyway?
a bot that makes accounts/posts?
how do they by-pass the image you gotta type in box?

night.
"Don't look back. Something might be broken." ―Grandpa Satchel
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Honestly, I have no clue...all I know is that they just do. What I did this time was change the registration to "user confirmation", which sends out an email to activate your account once you register. The bots are not getting past the images (which has never happened before), so at least now the accounts will not be activated and they will not be posting.
Blinky
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since:  

Post by Blinky »

Admin wrote:Honestly, I have no clue...all I know is that they just do. What I did this time was change the registration to "user confirmation", which sends out an email to activate your account once you register. The bots are not getting past the images (which has never happened before), so at least now the accounts will not be activated and they will not be posting.
yeah i noticed that out of many forums i have accounts on, this is the only one where i didnt need email login to activate.

glad thats fixed. :D
"Don't look back. Something might be broken." ―Grandpa Satchel
twangle

Post by twangle »

Thanks admin for the fix on spam. some times when im bored at work i'll jump on line and one time they attacked my work computer through the alf forum.I was so upset but here comes Alfanatic and save the night(well the wee morning)---
THANKS ALFANATIC
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Actually, it is not possible for them to attack your computer through this forum. The only way they can "attack" your computer is if you click on a link that they post, and things are downloaded to your computer. You just need to be careful not to click on any of their links...
twangle

Post by twangle »

Well i did once> :oops: and Alfanatic saved me.
AlfAlfa_26
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2014

Post by AlfAlfa_26 »

As a new member of this forum, I try to read all the posts that were made before my time here(and that takes some time), but I have already found some really interesting information that I probably would have never known otherwise.

Unfortunately, while doing this, I have seen some posts and possibly double accounts that appeared here over the years(some of them are really old) that are most likely spam. They often are just copies from previous posts from "real" members here, or do not make sense at all. Plus, they contain links in their signature that most likely will lead to some virus/malware installing sites. I bookmarked these posts on my computer, so that they did not break my reading flow too much, and I am going to click on the report button on these strange posts, so that visitors who read through a topic here will not risk their computers while unknowingly clicking on a link.