Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Rough ALF vs. Groomed ALF

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

SanDiegoHereICome
Apprentice Lint Brush

Rough ALF vs. Groomed ALF

Post by SanDiegoHereICome »

Which ALF version do you prefer? What I am talking about is as ALF appeared in the earlier episodes of season 1 as rough-looking and unkempt, with his eastern-USA accent and bouncing walk versus his look in seasons 2-4.

What do you prefer? Personally, I prefer the earlier more rugged ALF, as I found him very brash and I liked how he did not apologize for himself, but I realize Fusco's decision to change ALF because I can't see there being 4 seasons of the rough ALF - the change was necessary.

What about you guys? Early ALF or Later ALF?

Also, I noticed that when Alien Productions released the new groomed ALF, ALF stopped drinking beer (excluding Season 2's Tequila episode of course)... perhaps they felt that kids could not relate to ALF and they needed a wider childrens audience.
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Re: Rough ALF vs. Groomed ALF

Post by ALFanatic »

ALF, like many TV series that are fortunate enough to be renewed, was much like the political candidate who wins his party's primary and then moves on to the general election - quickly move to a "middle of the road" position that is acceptable to a broader audience.

While I like ALF through all stages of his character and physical development, in hindsight, I am definitely happy that ALF became more refined, so that he became invoved in a expanded range of human experiences.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I always thought he became more aware with how earthlings act and tried to be more like that accordingly. I love every side of ALF. I don't think he was THAT rough though.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

I agree with ALFanatic. The change was needed. Bur I liked the early ALF, with the accent and that. But I'd be weird if he didn't change.
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Post by jantje »

The funny thing is that I didn't realize that his voice changed when I first watched all the episodes in order. And when I started to watch the whole stuff again from the beginning, I was surprised how rough his voice was in those early episodes. To tell you the truth, I don't like that early rough voice.
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

Neither do I. I prefer the higher-pitched voice that he had in Seasons 3 and 4. And even though it made him seem more annoying and immature at times, I think it did his character well. It made him more interesting and alive. But yes, the "rough" ALF did have his unique points as well.

Well done as usual, Fusco. :)
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Post by jantje »

Not only in Seasons 3-4, I think we can hear the higher-pitched voice towards the end of Season 1.