Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Complete Series DVD Collection?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Complete Series DVD Collection?

Post by melmacian56 »

You know..I was just sitting here thinking about how the world of ALF has really been quiet ever since the final season hit DVD. A lot of people are depressed that the DVD's have stopped coming out and ALF has been pretty quiet ever since. There really is nothing to look forward to. But then a light bulb lit up in my head. I have been noticing lately that a lot of shows are getting "The Complete Series" treatment. Well there's one thing people have failed to realize and that is that there is still a possibilty of ALF hitting DVD again. The chances may be very slim of it happening but just hear me out for a minute because you people seem like reasonable ALF fans and you may really like my idea.

What if all 4 seasons were bunched into a "Complete Series" box set??? After that idea popped into my head, I then thought of this. A lot of people have complained about lack of special features and have shot lots of ideas around. If a "Complete Series" collection ever did happen, what if there could be a "special" bonus disc including some of the special features we have always desired??? I know that "The King of Queens" and "M*A*S*H" have both gotten the Complete Series treatment and both sets had a bonus disc with special features never before released in the single season sets.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a collectors box with different pictures of ALF to hold all 4 seasons of the series? This idea would be a good way to make up to the fans for the shortcomings the previous ALF DVD's suffered. I know that some of you are going to come on here and say that this probably will never happen because Lionsgate probably wouldn't benefit from it. BUT....you never know...with enough interest from the fans this could very well happen someday. I just thought I would shoot this idea into the air and hopefully some of you will see what I see and maybe jump aboard and push this idea into full speed. I know I wouldn't mind getting rid of the 4 seasons I have now to get a complete series box set. This is ALF we are talking about here!!! hahaha. Maybe there is a possibilty of getting some more special features. Well I have said what I wanted to for now. Everyone take care and I hope some of you see my vision here.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

It could happen, but like you said the odds are slim.

We can also await new words on a possible future ALF movie, even if that is very unlikely to happen as well.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

You never know, maybe they could do like with the latest release of the original Star Wars trilogy. They could have the uncut (lesser quality) episodes included as a bonus disc. They might still run into issues with the rights to songs that were played, but maybe most of the shows could be released uncut in this manner. Just an idea...
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
Alfster
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Alfster »

What special features do you expect from a series that was shot in the late 80's before the idea of DVD special features was around. Most 80's series fans complain don't have special features(Knight rider etc.). Y? cuz if your only buying the disc set for the special features than there is something wrong with you.

Be thankful that we got teh series at all and be quiet!

And that's all I have to say about that.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Alfster wrote:What special features do you expect from a series that was shot in the late 80's before the idea of DVD special features was around. Most 80's series fans complain don't have special features(Knight rider etc.). Y? cuz if your only buying the disc set for the special features than there is something wrong with you.

I think you're a bit unfair here, no one here is saying that they're not happy that we got the episodes. But special features is still something a lot of fans appreciate. When the 3rd season set was announced without any special features except for ALF hosting the menues, people started protesting and rightfully so. Did they run out of special features to put on the set? I highly doubt it, they were just getting lazy.

And no one ever claimed they were getting the DVD's just for the special features.

Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

I am very thankful for the episodes, but there are special features that could be done - news reports at the time from NBC, ALF Loves A Mystery, ALF on Hollywood Squares, commentaries with other members of the cast. I hope we get blu-ray releases of ALF at some point through a bigger company who would restore the original masters rather than the syndicated versions.

Alfster wrote:What special features do you expect from a series that was shot in the late 80's before the idea of DVD special features was around. Most 80's series fans complain don't have special features(Knight rider etc.). Y? cuz if your only buying the disc set for the special features than there is something wrong with you.

Alfster
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Alfster »

Gordo wrote:I am very thankful for the episodes, but there are special features that could be done - news reports at the time from NBC, ALF Loves A Mystery, ALF on Hollywood Squares, commentaries with other members of the cast. I hope we get blu-ray releases of ALF at some point through a bigger company who would restore the original masters rather than the syndicated versions.
Who owns the rights to the above mentioned items? Would they even be able to include them? Why would you want a news report (if any exsisted)?

Blu-Ray? Are you nuts? what good would Blu-Ray do? Blu-Ray doesn't make something recorded in 320i appear to be 1080p

This really is the silliest topic I might have ever heard on a message board.
Some people are just spoiled i guess. I can't wait for DVD to go bye bye in 5 years(in favor of direct digital downloads) then there WILL NOT BE ANY special features for anything!
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Alfster wrote:
Gordo wrote:I am very thankful for the episodes, but there are special features that could be done - news reports at the time from NBC, ALF Loves A Mystery, ALF on Hollywood Squares, commentaries with other members of the cast. I hope we get blu-ray releases of ALF at some point through a bigger company who would restore the original masters rather than the syndicated versions.
Who owns the rights to the above mentioned items? Would they even be able to include them? Why would you want a news report (if any exsisted)?

Blu-Ray? Are you nuts? what good would Blu-Ray do? Blu-Ray doesn't make something recorded in 320i appear to be 1080p

This really is the silliest topic I might have ever heard on a message board.
Some people are just spoiled i guess. I can't wait for DVD to go bye bye in 5 years(in favor of direct digital downloads) then there WILL NOT BE ANY special features for anything!
Wanting special features for a show that you grew up with and love doesn't make you spoiled, it's called being a devoted fan. Like I said before, no one's saying that they are not happy about the episodes being released.

melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I'm the one who started this topic thank you very much. Im allowed to speak my opinion and I don't appreciate you coming on here and telling us all to be quiet Alfster. If you don't like what we are posting, then just ignore us. I'm fine with my ALF DVD's, I just wanted to see a little more extra. I'd like to hear from the cast and see what they are doing these days and how they feel about the series. I don't buy DVD's just for the special features. I just feel they are excellent to have and I feel ALF is a show that deserves better special features.
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I'd also like to apologize to everyone on the forum. This is not the way I seen myself making my return to the forum after a long dissapearance.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in and voice my concerns about this thread. If you want to keep going I am fine with that, but PLEASE keep it civil. I would hate for things to go "overboard" and for ill-feelings to arise from this thread.

Thank you!
Last edited by Admin on Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
melmacian56

Post by melmacian56 »

I just don't appreciate someone coming on here and talking to all the members of the forum the way Alfster did. I was just standing up for everyone. I have said my peace and I'm not going to make things go any more overboard.
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

Alfster wrote:
Gordo wrote: Who owns the rights to the above mentioned items? Would they even be able to include them? Why would you want a news report (if any exsisted)?

... and you don't think they'll put Simpsons out on the new format? Same thing. Sure you can't hi-def ALF but you can get some sound and picture upgrade, especially as it would be the masters hopefully which would make a good selling point. More space on those discs too, so more eps per disc and cheaper to release.

Most special features are owned by NBC - there was a behind the scenes set report aired on the news i think. Any of the actors could do commentaries or interviews. Sure they aren't essential but they're nice for fans to have.
Alfster
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Alfster »

I really find it hilarious that some members are taking personal offense to my post. If your offended by the word "quiet" then I would love to know where you live.

The point of my post is 10 years ago you would have accepted edited vhs tapes of ALF. And as far as the simpsons go, its much easier to upconvert an animated cartoon than a live action sitcom. There is ALOT less pixel detail and therefore easier to clean up.