Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF Magazine vs. ALF Digest

Just buy a new pair of ALF underwear? Brag about your collectibles and merchandise here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

ALF Magazine vs. ALF Digest

Post by ALFsince86 »

Yo! I received my eBay goodies today.

First off, I had thought the ALF magazines (four total in my purchase) were ALF Digest, which was the comic books reprinted in mini-magazine form.

The ALF Magazines were a welcomed and delightful surprise. They are very much like Pizzazz, Dynamite, and Bananas Magazines (if you're familiar with any of those). ALF Magazines were published quarterly and had several featured departments: each issue featured a pull out poster (two of my magazines had the poster pulled out, that was a bummer), a Melmac matinee; which was a play you could perform or read with your friends featuring ALF and his friends. There are jokes, letters from fans, and ALF answers questions from fans.

I would have really loved this magazine if I had known about it when it was being printed and still enjoy it quite a bit as an adult.

What strikes me most about the letters from kids, as it does in the letters from fans in the comic book series, is how often "I love you, ALF" is written. It's a little sad that we can so readily say that to ALF and not people in our own lives. (This isn't intended to be a slam; just something I've noticed).

The other items I received came in fairly good condition. A couple of coloring pages are colored, but hey. Most of them are in unused condition.

The sticker album was the biggest disappointment because it had some, but not all of the stickers.

I will post a separate post (call me repetitive) concerning my desire to collect more ALF magazines (if any of you are willing to part) and I will trade the sticker album (someone may want it if you have the remaining stickers).

One final bummer, when one of the posters was removed it also took nearly all of the interview with Benji Gregory (Brian Tanner).

However, overall, this is a purchase I am not disappointed in!
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

ALFsince1986,

I was a subscriber to the "ALF MAGAZINE", and have all quarterly issues, except for the very first issue which was Winter 1989. In total there were eight quartely issues of the magazine with the last issue being Fall 1990.

To say the least, I was devastated upon receipt of notification that publication of "ALF MAGAZINE" had ceased, and absolutely irate to find that they were sending me Winter 1991 issue of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Magazine" to complete my annual subscription.

My most favorite part of "ALF MAGAZINE" was ALF's corny jokes (intendeed for children) which I still tell to this day, much to the dismay of my friends.

Sorry, but my issues of magazine are not for sale or trade. The only way I will ever part with them is when someone pulls them from my cold, dead hands.

In closing, should you ever obtain a Winter 1989 issue of "ALF MAGAZINE" in good condition that you would be willing to sell, please let me know.

Mike
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

Deal. I'm glad someone knows what I'm talking about. I thoroughly enjoyed the magazines I received; jokes and all!
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

Thanks to a nice person on eBay, I now have Winter 1990 of ALF Magazine added to my collection. That makes five and there were only 8 in the series.

None of my copies are in "mint" condition, but I was happy to see the poster in this installment. It's a nice one; ALF putting lights on a Christmas tree.
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Wow, I had completely forgotten about these. I had a couple as a kid I think. I wonder if I still have them somewhere...

At any rate, thanks for the reminder!
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

Yep. I think they're pretty cool.