Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Things I noticed on these DVD episodes

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Things I noticed on these DVD episodes

Post by QueenofMelmac »

1. In the first couple of episodes on Season one 1st DVD Alfs voice is different and lower. Was that Paul Fuscos voice? Did he decide to change his voice effects or what? Its weird.

2. Also in the first couple of episodes we see Alfs whole body. Why did they stop letting us see it as the seasons went on?

3. There are at least 2 episodes that are repeated. I forgot which ones but I was really mad. Were there episodes they forgot to put on there and put doubles instead?

4. Why did Alf wear clothing some episodes and go naked in others?

I think thats all...for now
"You are getting sleepy. You... are no longer a cat. You are a bagel. "
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: Things I noticed on these DVD episodes

Post by ALFicionado »

QueenofMelmac wrote:1. In the first couple of episodes on Season one 1st DVD Alfs voice is different and lower. Was that Paul Fuscos voice? Did he decide to change his voice effects or what? Its weird.

2. Also in the first couple of episodes we see Alfs whole body. Why did they stop letting us see it as the seasons went on?

3. There are at least 2 episodes that are repeated. I forgot which ones but I was really mad. Were there episodes they forgot to put on there and put doubles instead?

4. Why did Alf wear clothing some episodes and go naked in others?

I think thats all...for now
I'll try to answer these questions for you, best I can.

1. There are 2 answers for this question, a fictional one and the real one, I'll give you both:
- Paul Fusco has said that he experimented with the voice before finding the voice he liked the best, he then kept using that voice as you've probably heard in season 2 and beyond.
- ALF says on the ALF Files DVD audio commentary that he went to a voice coach to improve his voice skills, therefore his voice changed.

2. I think they stopped showing his full body regularly because it was easier to film that way, and they didn't have to have a dwarf on the payroll - it saves production costs.

3. Season 3 has two episodes that are supposed to be on season 4 (Mind Games & Fever), however, those two episodes were produced during season 3. Since the DVD's on these sets are in production order, they chose to put them on the season 3 DVD as well as the season 4 DVD (where they originally belong).

4. I guess he just liked dressing up once in a while.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

Thanks for answering my questions.

One more thing though...I also noticed that the episodes are out of order. There were some episode where mom was pregnant in one episode and not pregnant in the next episode...And when she had the baby, sometimes we would never see the baby in the episodes. I caught on to this and I got confused lol
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

To correct my earlier post, the reason they skipped on the full-figured ALF is because of the little person inside wanted to be credited as ALF and get contractural rights to play ALF for any other purposes. The producers disagreed, I guess they wanted ALF to seem more real and therefore started to use the puppet instead, therfore no need to credit someone else for the role as ALF.

ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

QueenofMelmac wrote:Thanks for answering my questions.

One more thing though...I also noticed that the episodes are out of order. There were some episode where mom was pregnant in one episode and not pregnant in the next episode...And when she had the baby, sometimes we would never see the baby in the episodes. I caught on to this and I got confused lol
That is once again due to the production order they chose to put the episodes on the DVD sets in.

QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

Oh ok. Thanks so much! :D
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

No problem at all, credit should also go to ALFanatic for correcting me about the full-figured ALF question.

ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

I noticed that when Paul Fusco perfected his ALF voice at the end of the first season, ALF also started doing the hand gesture often.
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

hmmm what hand gesture is that?

I like the way they make Alf bounce when he walks...its funny looking. It looks like someone is walking him across the screen like a puppet doll lol
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted, so I'll start by just saying "YO"

Now I'll go on to comment. The voice thing always through me when watching as a kid too. I was always able to tell on all my favorite cartoons when the voices were changed as well. This always stuck out to me, but the voice was close enough in how it sounded that I explained to myself (as a kid mind you) that maybe ALF had at least some injury that damaged his vocal chords from when he crashed into the garage and that it took some time to heal. That was my answer as a 7 year old. LOL.

I also noted in a different post a while back that if you watch the episode "Try and Remember" you will see that flash backs to earlier episodes (that originally had the first/early voice) were re-dubbed with the new voice. The strange thing is, and I've been meaning to get my origianl VHS tapes out to back this up, I could swear that before syndication, there was no redubbing. When I get some time, I will take a look.

Man, how do I always manage to make these posts so long when I just plan to say one quick thing?
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
QueenofMelmac
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by QueenofMelmac »

[quote="MR. Littwack"]Hey guys! It's been a while since I posted, so I'll start by just saying "YO"

Now I'll go on to comment. The voice thing always through me when watching as a kid too. I was always able to tell on all my favorite cartoons when the voices were changed as well. This always stuck out to me, but the voice was close enough in how it sounded that I explained to myself (as a kid mind you) that maybe ALF had at least some injury that damaged his vocal chords from when he crashed into the garage and that it took some time to heal. That was my answer as a 7 year old. LOL.
quote]

Aww. I made up reasons for things too when i was a kid so i wouldn't scare the pants off myself. I find it strange that they would go back and fix his voice in a flashback episode but they wont fix the actual episode....??? Thats retarded if thats true. His voice sounded akward..it made the scenes unflowable because it was so akward. lol

Anyways, thanks for sharing.
~Samantha