Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Pilot VS. Unaired Pilot

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Pilot VS. Unaired Pilot

Post by MR. Littwack »

For those of you (I'm assuming most on this board) that have seen the unaired pilot episode on the first season dvd set, I was just curious as to your thoughts on it. For those who don't know, this unaired pilot is not too different from the aired version. Mostly a few scenes at the begining: Dinner with the family before ALF arrives, and a longer garage and crash sequence. Many close ups of ALF were re-filmed for the aired version. Also, note-worthy is the Alien Task Force agent scene which has a completely different agent at the door. For the most part however, the pilot that aired is mostly the same. Just some slightly alternate scenes.

Mainly I'm curious as to which version viewers prefer. Personally, I think the aired version ran much smoother. Some of the scenes in the begining of the unaired version just simply ran too long. They didn't seem to move the plot very much. They, while giving us more glimpses as to the Tanner family's life "pre-ALF", just weren't that great.

You could tell that in some scenes the mechanics of ALF were, although very convincing and impressive, were not quite as smooth as in the aired version.

Some of the casts' chemistry still seemed a bit awkward. Even though most of what was shot made it to the final pilot, the scenes were much more polished.

Last, which Alien Task Force guy do you prefer? The more military looking guy as in the aired pilot, or as ALF put it; the "Eddie Munster" looking guy?
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Mr. Littwack.

Since the "unaired" pilot episode is indeed an "unaired" episode, logical to assume that some (if not all) of the details you describe were ultimately deemed by the decision making powers to be "not ready for prime time".

My personal preference is for the "aired" pilot episode.

Mike
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

I agree. The aired version was much better and smoother in the long run. I think the network execs made the right choice there. Just curious as to everyones thoughts on the matter.
artemis_kunzite
Phlegm Dealer

Post by artemis_kunzite »

what i love about the first episode is that the first part, is about introducing the tanners...it's more reliable, on the other hand, the aired episode begins when Brian and willy are walking towards the garage (i have the UN-CUT episodes) so it's more like "huh? who are those"?

i prefer the aired episode to the unaired episode though, the unaired episode shows an AWFUL alf....
ak
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I prefer the aired Pilot Episode much more, I am more used to it and like you've stated, it flows much better. But I miss the scenes that are cut out since I've seen them so many times on my old VHS tae with The Pilot.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

The unaired version of the pilot does have one advantage over the aired version: it is uncut. Plus you get to see the original opening credits with ALF trying to steal the pie in the fridge and Kate slapping him on the hand. I really miss that in the syndicated versions.
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

ALF Fanatic wrote:The unaired version of the pilot does have one advantage over the aired version: it is uncut. Plus you get to see the original opening credits with ALF trying to steal the pie in the fridge and Kate slapping him on the hand. I really miss that in the syndicated versions.
I thought they had that pie-slapping part in some of the episodes opening credits, am I imagining this?

artemis_kunzite
Phlegm Dealer

Post by artemis_kunzite »

but did you guys see the unaired alf? it was completely deformed! specially the part when he goes to the bathroom along with willie..he looks like a idk..like....idk lol
ak
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

Do you mean the longer version of the episode (with the dinner scene at the beginning)?
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

ALF wrote:Do you mean the longer version of the episode (with the dinner scene at the beginning)?
Yes, though that part is also on the original uncut episode of the ALF Pilot

ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

...I'm confused... is the uncut version the same as the unaired version?
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

No no, but the uncut Pilot episode has that opening scene where they sit and eat at the dinner table.

ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

It's sad that Lionsgate will never release ALF uncut. ALF has a lot of the same problems that WKRP in Cincinatti has - red tape (song rights, syndication, etc.).
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

ALF,

Let me try this wording to hopefully end your confusion.

There is the never aired Piolt Episode that appears for first time in DVD release. Since this episode was never aired on TV, it was never cut for future syndication on TV.

Then the is the original pilot of ALF TV series that first aired on TV in 1986. This pilot episode. as it appears on DVD, is a "cut" version of the original episode for syndication on TV.

Mike
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

The unaired pilot, Try to Remember, and the one ALF bets on horse races have the original opening credits of ALF trying to steal a pie in the fridge. It was cut out in the syndication version for the most part. Not to mention the unaired pilot shows some scenes that were cut out from the aired pilot in the syndicated version.
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by ALF »

A-ha! Thank you, Mike!
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

ALF Fanatic wrote:The unaired pilot, Try to Remember, and the one ALF bets on horse races have the original opening credits of ALF trying to steal a pie in the fridge. It was cut out in the syndication version for the most part. Not to mention the unaired pilot shows some scenes that were cut out from the aired pilot in the syndicated version.
I thought I had seen it, now I know! Thanks.

MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Wow, I had never realized that the opening dinner sequence was originally in the aired version. If I recall correctly, and I was only 6 at the time, my mom and I had just got home and ran to hit record on the vcr for this "new show called ALF" and the first scene I remember from that tape was of Willie in the garage with Brian.

So the dinner scene was originally there? How much was it cut down for the aired version? From the garage on I have the original first run, first airing of that episode, but I had always assmued that the syndicated picked up at the begining.
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

mr littwack, I don't think that the opening dinner sequence where lynn is talking about her boyfriend was in the aired version. It was in the unaired version. The unaired version is on the Season 1 disk 4, and the original aired episode is season 1 disk 1.
I might be wrong about this guys, horrible memory and all, but I did just watch the unaired version and aired version a couple weeks back.
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Thats what I thought, but as some have stated on this post, it sounds like there that scene may have aired originally. I just wasn't sure.