Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

My Alf

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

takingthebiscuit
Apprentice Lint Brush

My Alf

Post by takingthebiscuit »

Does anyone else have an Alf toy? I love my Alf! When I was a kid I used to take him everywhere with me in a little buggy. My nan knitted us matching jumpers and everything! It was his 20th bithday last Xmas (or rather Goomer's Day for Alf) and we bought him new clothes especially. My friends think I'm mental - am I alone??
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

ALF toy? Most certainly that terminology must come from your younger years. Personally, I fund, maintain, and attempt to administer an ALF sanctuary where any ALFs that make it to my door are welcome to live life happily everafter with lots and lots of ALF buddies. Plans currently under consideration for facility expansion, as it is getting quite crowded around here.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I have an ALF toy too, it's one of my favorite things in my ALF collection.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
takingthebiscuit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Hi Mike,

It's really cool that you have a sanctury for Alfs but the thought that there are others (other than mine) freaks me out a bit. An ex-boyfriend tried to buy me an Alf from e-bay and I cried because I thought about how jealous my Alf would be. The boyfriend didn't last long after that...

I'm not making a good first impression am I?? I'm not as mad as my love of Alf suggests!!!
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

takingthebiscuit,

In my opinion, you are making a fine first impression. Any ALF lover is a friend of mine. Perhaps you should have been a little less harsh with your "ex". Buying you an unwanted ALF in the marketplace sounds like a nice gesture, and he probably just did not realize the depth of your passion concerning this matter. It is not easy maintaining mature human relationships if both parties are not dedicated ALF lovers.

Although initial introductions sometimes are a little tense, the only time I see any of my ALFs exhibit jealousy is toward strangers who may have been invited over to share a meal. All in all, everybody gets along pretty well as one big family with the only major altercations being over sharing the TV remote and during weekly poker nights when things get totally out of control.

Mike
takingthebiscuit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Thanks Mike, I feel a bit better now! Maybe now I can start to come to terms with the fact that my Alf has brothers all over the world (Vegas sounds a lot more exciting than where we come from!).

P.S. When you see Alf (e.g. on TV or a website like this), for a split second do you think "hey, that's my best friend on TV!!!" then remember that you've sort of missed the point there??
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Don't worry. You're not alone. I still have my talking ALF, the read along ALF, a couple of the promossional mini puppets that pizza hut gave away (i think i still have the little cardboard records that came with them too). And of course, the all time favorite of mine, the first, the original, basic, simple, and most loved of mine, the plush alf that came packed in his cardboard spaceship. There is a slim chance that I might still have the box in a closet somewhere.

But I swear, I used to carry him everywhere. I have so many fond memories of those days. My grandparents used to own a Limo service and on the rare occassion that I would get to ride in one I used roll down the window and make ALF wave at other cars. With the tinted windows, I could not be seen, only ALF. You wouldn't believe the reactions I got!

Anyway takingthebiscuit, if you are mental, you are not alone. There are a lot of us. ALF is, was, and always will be a very fond memory for me. I think of him as a friend.
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Mr. Littwack,

Not trying to rain on your memory trip, but just a minor correction to maintain factual reality. The four (4) promotional ALF hand puppets with records and attachments were distributed by "Burger King".

Mike
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Mr. Littwack,

Not trying to rain on your memory trip, but just a minor correction to maintain factual reality. The four (4) promotional hand puppets with records and attachments were distributed by "Burger King".
You're right. My mistake. I was only 6 or 7 at the time. Memory is a lttile hazy from those days.

I had the baseball player and the rock star. What were the other two?
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

In addition to "Baseball" ALF and "Rock 'n Roll" ALF hand puppets, there were also "Surfer" ALF and "Chef" ALF.

Mike
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

Awesome, thank you.

Sorry, takingthebiscuit, I didn't mean to get off your topic. welcome to the board!

I hope I can say that. I'm pretty new here myself...

Curious though, biscuit, was ALF big in the UK? How did you get to be a fan?

-the other Mike
takingthebiscuit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Hi the other Mike,

I don't think Alf was very big in the UK - not many of my friends of a similar age remember him. My first memory of Alf was on a Sunday when I was three my dad took my to visit my nan and my mam stayed at home because she was heavily pregnant with my brother. When we got home my mam had recorded this new programme called Alf because she thought I'd like it. Well, I loved it and the rest is history! We were poor in those days (not much has changed!) so that Xmas (1986) one of my presents was a video my mam and dad had made of all the Alf shows that had been on TV up until then - I've still got it and watch it regularly! It's got the first Xmas special ("I want my tree!") and a few others from the first series. When we got to my nan's later that Xmas day there was my Alf sitting on the sofa in his cardboard spaceship (long gone I'm sorry to say!). And he's been my best friend ever since! The cartoons were shown over here but, again, they never really took off. I've got some of the videos (from charity shops etc.). I'm waiting for the DVDs to come out here (sitcom + cartoons) because at the moment you can get them on the internet but they are region 1 DVDs (USA) and won't play in this country. Well, there's my life with Alf and the story of how we met!
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

takingthebiscuit wrote:Hi the other Mike,

I don't think Alf was very big in the UK - not many of my friends of a similar age remember him. My first memory of Alf was on a Sunday when I was three my dad took my to visit my nan and my mam stayed at home because she was heavily pregnant with my brother. When we got home my mam had recorded this new programme called Alf because she thought I'd like it. Well, I loved it and the rest is history! We were poor in those days (not much has changed!) so that Xmas (1986) one of my presents was a video my mam and dad had made of all the Alf shows that had been on TV up until then - I've still got it and watch it regularly! It's got the first Xmas special ("I want my tree!") and a few others from the first series. When we got to my nan's later that Xmas day there was my Alf sitting on the sofa in his cardboard spaceship (long gone I'm sorry to say!). And he's been my best friend ever since! The cartoons were shown over here but, again, they never really took off. I've got some of the videos (from charity shops etc.). I'm waiting for the DVDs to come out here (sitcom + cartoons) because at the moment you can get them on the internet but they are region 1 DVDs (USA) and won't play in this country. Well, there's my life with Alf and the story of how we met!
ALF wasn't big in the UK? I thought he was huge all over the world, at least Europe. He was very popular in Sweden to say the least.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

takingthebiscuit,

Regarding current ALF DVD's that are Region 1 format, are you aware that, although they may not play in DVD players available in England, the Region 1 DVD's should play in any computer DVD drive, for they are all universal format?

Mike
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

The dvds aren't available in the UK? Wow, most of the shows I have found myself waiting to come out the past few years were released in the UK long before the US. Of course a lot of those were owned by Universal. they had this weird over seas contract and waited to release in the US I'm told.

Biscuit, that really is a nice story of your first meeting with ALF. Sounds like he was with you through some tough times. I'll bet that tape is still very special to you as well. I myself was spoiled as a kid but when my parents split up we had some hard times. My plush ALF along with my plush Bugs Bunny (my two favorite stuffed animals as a kid) helped me through a lot. They are still among my most cherrished possessions.

PS: what was your favorite episode Biscuit?
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

ALFanatic wrote:ALF toy? Most certainly that terminology must come from your younger years. Personally, I fund, maintain, and attempt to administer an ALF sanctuary where any ALFs that make it to my door are welcome to live life happily everafter with lots and lots of ALF buddies. Plans currently under consideration for facility expansion, as it is getting quite crowded around here.

Mike
Love it, can I come see it?
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

Funny story, I had an alf when I was younger but (to make a long story short) it's trapped at my grandpas house. So, my mom took pity on me, and bought me one on ebay. I can't wait to get it! Jeez, I'm almost 30 and the things that make me happy LOL :lol:
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmac_alf,

Although it sometimes is a minor, personal inconvenience as a small part still serves as my apartment, ALF welcomes all ALF fans to visit the ALF Sanctuary 24/7 anytime they are in Las Vegas. ALF says. "Bring food and beverages to make sure you get the VIP tour."

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

Mike,
Thanks :) Although, I'm not sure when I'll be in the Los Vegas area, but I will make it top priority. I'll even bring a cat for alf. lol
melmac_alf
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

I never had a plush ALF as a kid. I guess, since I was about to turn 13 that first Christmas, I thought it was too kiddie. However, I was envious when my 2-year-old (or so) cousin got one. She went up to Grandpa and said: "ALF, ALF!" He replied: "Yeah, that's your elf". That conversation went on the rest of Christmas Day.