Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF Theme Music

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

ALF Theme Music

Post by ALFanatic »

Trivia Question asked in Trivia Contest Topic on Fun and Games Forum resulted in confliciting opinions as to whether there are two (2) or three (3) versions of Theme Music for the "ALF" TV Series. Hopeful of getting answer from the authoritative source, I sent following email to Mr. ALF Clausen (the composer of ALF Theme):

alf@alfclausen.com

Dear Mr. Clausen,

If possible, please be so kind as to take time from your busy schedule to answer a question concerning theme music that you wrote for the "ALF" TV Series.

Question: How many versions of the "ALF" Theme Music did you write?

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated as authoritatvie source for answer to trivia question appearing on the ALFtv.NET forum where there are confliciting opinions as to whether there were two (2) or three (3) versions of the "ALF" Theme Music.

Thank You,

Much to my amazement, within less than twenty-four hours, I received the following very prompt email response from Mr. Alf Clausen;

Michael,

Well, my memory fades a bit after all this time, but this is what I remember.

I think we recorded two versions of the theme (different lengths) for the Main Title sequence at the beginning of the show, and one version for the End Credits at the end of the show.

Now, here’s where the surprise comes in. I also recorded a record-length version of the theme that was never aired, but which was released on one side of a 45 record and offered to all of the ALF fan club members. The reverse side contained another one of my songs as sung by ALF on the show, “You’re The One Who’s Out Of This World.”

When I get a break in my Simpsons composing schedule, I’ll go back into my files to see if the information I’ve given you from memory about the Main Title versions is the “real deal.” Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Alf Clausen

Based on information from Mr. Clausen, the definitive answer to Trivia Question appears to be that there are four (4) versions of the "ALF" Theme Music.

Now, how do I get my hands on the 45 rpm record version of ALF Theme Music that was never aired?

Mike
Last edited by ALFanatic on Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALFShumway865
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALFShumway865 »

Wow ALFanatic, that's pretty cool. So there's now 4 variations of the theme, hmm...never really noticed any difference between them except the one in the credits.
ALF will rule the world!
superoman
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by superoman »

not sure where to find it but heres some info

198? ALF (with Alf Clausen) (as producer) (you're the one who's out of this world) (Alien products AP-123)

from http://www.multimedia-all-in.nl/home3.htm

(now I want it as well - well only as an mp3 perhaps)
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

superoman,

Thanks for additional inforrmation. Knowing that "Buddy Greco" (all-time great jazz musician) participated as sideman on the 45 rpm recording makes the record even more an "absolute must have".

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Cool that he could be of such assistance.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

The biggest disappointment I have with the syndicated version of ALF for seasons 1 and 2 is that the original theme music was replaced. I though that it was better than the synidcated version.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

There was no "syndicated" version of ALF Theme Music. All versions of the ALF Theme Music (with exception of 45 RPM recording) were created for use during the run of the original ALF TV series.

Mike
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

ALFanatic wrote:There was no "syndicated" version of ALF Theme Music. All versions of the ALF Theme Music (with exception of 45 RPM recording) were created for use during the run of the original ALF TV series.

Mike
If you watch the epside "Try to Remember" and another episode like "Come Fly With Me", the opening theme song is different. In the original run, the opening credits included ALF trying to steal the pie in the refridgerator and Kate slaps him on the hand. What I call the "syndicated version", its the music in the credits that eliminated the scene of ALF trying to get into the refridgerator.
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

One other thing, even though the music is the same, if you watch the first couple of episodes, listen to the music in the opening as ALF walks up to Brian. Even though you can't here Brian talk, it's obvious if you watch his mouth move that he says "Hi ALF".

In the first few shows if you listen carefully, the music seems to match the words (hi ALF) very closely. Later versions, I believe the same ones missing the infamous "pie" sequence, the same music is played a second or two after Brian is off camera.

...I know, I need to get a life... But watch and see. Tell me if I'm wrong.
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
superoman
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by superoman »

Has anybody been able to find the limited edition of the record with the theme song on one side and you're the one thats out of this world on the other?

Ive found a pick of what it looks like at:
http://www.giantrobot.com/robotica/15al ... lftext.htm

Any idea on how I could fine the record. Ebay and the like has not been any help so far
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

superoman,

Tried your hyperlink, and could not get it to work. I was able to access the website home page "http://www. giantrobot.com", but from home page was unable to determine how to scroll for more specifics.

Please check your hyperlink as typed, and respond if correctly typed.

I feel your pain. To date, my search for the record has also been unsuccessful. I even resorted to visiting a rare record store seeking posible assistance which was not forthcoming. The nerve, my request for information about a rare 45 rpm ALF record was not taken seriously.

Mike
superoman
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by superoman »

http://www.giantrobot.com/robotica/roboticaframes.html

click on alf and 15.9 - its very small the image
Im going to contact robotica to see if they can help
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

superoman.

Based on text accompanying the image, image certainly appears to be cover of the ALF 45 rpm record we are seeking. All "15" series images appear to be thumbnail images of items from an ALF collection that was, or is still, owned by one of publishers of the website. Let me know what you find out from attempt to contact.

Note: Transferred 15:9 image to photo editing program on my computer with hopes of being able to enlarge the image. Unfortunatley the website image already at 100%, and all attempts to enlarge were very distorted.

Mike
superoman
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by superoman »

Hi

Ive been in contact with the publisher and the person at the publisher who has the record. They have been a bit busy but will hopefully soon be able to send me a scan of all the sides - they said they would.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

superoman,

You did tell them this is a National Security matter of extreme impotance, didn't you? Seriously, thanks for posting update.

Mike
superoman
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by superoman »

Hi,

I have still not recieved any reply with a scan of the record in question. I followed it up yesterday and hopefully will see a rsponse soon

Superoman
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

superoman,

Thanks for your persistence and follow up.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

superoman wrote:Hi,

I have still not recieved any reply with a scan of the record in question. I followed it up yesterday and hopefully will see a rsponse soon

Superoman
Hi,
are you looking to own the record, or did you just want the song? If it's just the song you want, you can try http://www.limewire.com, and usually they have the songs you are looking for. It's free.