Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Song cut out?

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Song cut out?

Post by ALFicionado »

I notied this the first time I saw it, but I've forgotten to post it here. In the first episode of the season 2 DVD, there's some loud music playing in the garage,and when Willie and Kate enter ALF is supposed to be singing along to Motown classic "Stop In The Name Of Love" if I remember correctly. But they have cut that part out so that they won't have to pay royalties I assume. I knew they changed the song cause I saw that clip on "Tonight, Tonight" on The ALF Files when he shows clips of the show. I get really annoyed with these kind of things.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

It was cut out? I could have sworn that it was in there - I'll have to watch that episode when I get home.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

I also have the ALF Files DVD. The clip does show that ALF is singing "Stop In the Name of Love". In the Season two DVD, another song is played, but I can't figure out what it is. I wander if the reason why "Stop In the Name of Love" has to do with money. Evidently, according to Lions Gate, it would cost too much money to pay Diana Ross and the Supremes to use the song.

I was on tvshows.com site today I looked at the Life Goes On Update. Warner Brothers has to change the theme song because the song belongs to the Beatles. Evidently, it would cost Warner Brothers too much money to use the song in the DVD distribution.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

ALF Fanatic wrote:I also have the ALF Files DVD. The clip does show that ALF is singing "Stop In the Name of Love". In the Season two DVD, another song is played, but I can't figure out what it is. I wander if the reason why "Stop In the Name of Love" has to do with money. Evidently, according to Lions Gate, it would cost too much money to pay Diana Ross and the Supremes to use the song.

I was on tvshows.com site today I looked at the Life Goes On Update. Warner Brothers has to change the theme song because the song belongs to the Beatles. Evidently, it would cost Warner Brothers too much money to use the song in the DVD distribution.

Same thing happened with "Married... With Children", they had to compose a whole new theme so that they didn't have to pay money to Frank Sinatras family or something.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALF Fanatic
Cat Wrangler

Post by ALF Fanatic »

Song rights and royalties are major issues regarding the t.v. show WKRP in Cincinnati. I like the show, but it's not on t.v., and it's not on DVD. I also remember that in the season two dvd menu when ALF describes the "Gilligan's Island" episode, ALF says that he can't sing the theme song. It would have been so cool to hear him say that.
cooper243
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: NBC Preview Show 1986

Post by cooper243 »

The same thing happened with the theme song for Dawson's Creek seasons 3, 4, and 5.

Quantum Leap has replaced a lot of their music because they do not want to pay the royalties.

It's a shame that companies are willing to save money by not including the music.

I would rather pay more for the original music.

Coop
ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

Post by ALF »

...strange! I'll have to check that out. :P