Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Why I Like ALF

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALF'sgirl
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: June 24 2013

Why I Like ALF

Post by ALF'sgirl »

About two days ago, I found myself asking; "Why did I find ALF intriguing?" Well, I guess for one thing, he dosen't have the look of your stereotypical Hollywood alien. It's not like he appears to be human to everyone else and then has a true form underneath like on "Mork and Mindy" and "My Favorite Martian" Now, I don't have anything against these shows at all. I just like How ALF has different qualities from those two; he's sarcastic, lovable, cute, And just plain funny! How could you NOT find anything interesting about him at all? I also love his unique appetite. I'll admit...cats are a different choice for an alien cuisine; but it's still entertaining and you can always have a new joke written about it everytime. This morning, while I was painting my nails, I had an episode of ALF playing on screen; and mom happened to have pointed out how a few biblical qualities are in there. Think about it; the family says grace before dinner, and ALF even mentioned four out of twelve of the Apostles' names from the bible when he was trying to remember the names of Santa's reindeer. I guess it just shows you how much things have changed in entertainment since the 80s.
"You got a cat?"
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: Why I Like ALF

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, that is pretty much why got be hooked on Alf too. I really like his look too, it makes him unique and stand out from all the other stereotypical alien appearances, like just being a human or those one with grey skin, big heads and eyes. I really like his humor too sometimes his witty comebacks are just pure gold. and yeah, I find his taste for cats a bit interesting and unique too, it was a good way to play on running jokes throughout the series.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

I think you hit it spot on about him being sarcastic, and having biting humor. I know that while I have been a fan of ALF for MANY years, I just had my fiance watch the entire series in order on DVD. His humor was funny to me as a child, and here, over 20 years after I discovered him, it's STILL funny. You don't see that very often, a humor so timeless. As for my fiance, she loved it, and quickly became a fan too. Glad to see you found the old ALFer, as well as the forum.
robodog
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by robodog »

Rewatching Alf on the Hub I am constantly encountering jokes that went over my head as a kid but as an adult I now get. The writing is much better than most of the other series from that era. I hate that crap like Full House has played somewhere on TV constantly in the States since it went off the air yet airings of Alf are pretty sporadic. Many channels have aired it briefly only to take it off in a matter of weeks. I applaud the Hub for actually airing it for the length of time it has and for treating the show well.

And I too love the way Alf looks. As someone who wanted to grow up to make movie creatures as a kid I developed a hatred for rubber forehead aliens early in life. That is, aliens that look just like humans only with a bit of clay or rubber sticking to their faces or humans painted a different color. The best aliens cannot be portrayed by humans in cheap make up. That takes very little creativity. Give me aliens like Alf, ET, Quozl, Chewbacca or Yoda.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source