Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

An odd Alf related rumor I heard

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

robodog
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

An odd Alf related rumor I heard

Post by robodog »

Back in the 80's there was a cereal called Crispy Critters. The commercial featured a wierd looking yellow creature puppet with a big nose and two fuzzy antennas. I remember reading somewhere that this was a rejected design for Alf. I kind of find that hard to believe though. While Alf is realistic looking this Crispy Critters puppet looked way too cartoony to be able to fit in as a realistic alien on a science fiction sitcom. It's an interesting design, but if it ever was an option for the way Alf was to look I'm glad they went with the design we know. I doubt the show would have been as successful had Alf looked like the Crispy Critters creature. If this rumor has any truth to it at all then that's probably why they didn't go with that particular look. It wouldn't be as believable as the Alf we know.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: An odd Alf related rumor I heard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

that's some real interesting info, I have never seen the commercial so I couldn't tell you. I heard there was a puppet used before the official alf puppet we see today, but it came from a short film paul made with a whole host of other puppets and ALF's look really didn't change all the much from that puppet to the one we see today.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ilovealf88
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: around 2000

Post by ilovealf88 »

ALF: I had a cousin. Pretty Boy Shumway. If he didn't like your shoes...
[imitating gun sound] "ak-ak-ak-ak-ak."
Willie: He'd shoot a person because he didn't like his shoes?
ALF: No. He'd just point at you and go, "Ak-ak-ak-ak-ak."
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Oh wow, I'm really glad they didn't go with a design similar to that puppet in the commercial, haha!
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

thank for the videos. yeah, glad they didn't go with this puppet design either, way to sesame street-ish.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

How funny! I remember these commercials. I even ate the cereal once. It was pretty plain tasting, so I don't think we ever got it again after that.

I'm pretty sure the puppet designs here are not related to ALF or Paul Fusco. On this video, Paul Fusco talks about the early origins of the ALF puppet, which would have predated this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n_bnq0ebgw
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

Plain tasting is putting it nicely. The stuff was terrible. It tasted like stale animal crackers.

I do like the puppet design, but I'm glad it never really had anything to do with Alf. Alf's personality simply wouldn't fit with the cartoony look of the Crispy Critters puppet. I can't picture the CC puppet having the sarcastic yet loveable personality Alf did. It looks more like something that would appear in a children's movie or something.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Unless Paul Fusco had something to do with the cereal commercials, I think there's 0% chance it has any connection to ALF.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Post by ALFreak »

I just can't seem to imagine that puppet making fun of willie, trying to eat lucky, or arguing with kate :lol:
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

I could picture it trying to eat Lucky. In the commercial the thing was serving up all these little animals for breakfast. The difference between Alf and Crispy? With Alf everything but cats are safe. With Crispy, NOTHING is safe. Not even humans.