Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF Memorabilia

Just buy a new pair of ALF underwear? Brag about your collectibles and merchandise here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

ALF Memorabilia

Post by ALFsince86 »

Before the internet, collectibles were affordable. Now everyone on eBay wants to get top dollar, but you can still find some bargains.

If you are looking for ALF memorabilia remember: time is essential. The older ALF gets the more collectible his items are going to be and even non-ALF fans will begin collecting because there is money to be made.

Visit your comic shop. ALF comic values have not raised much over the years. However, the ALF comic books are exceptionally entertaining. Some of the stories are as or more entertaining than the television scripts (this is because ALF isn't limited to a budget in a comic book). There are 50 regular issue ALF comics, 3 annuals, 2 holiday specials, and 1 spring special. Most comic dealers sell ALF issues from $4-2, with the possible exception being #1. There was also a graphic novel which reprints issues 1-3 and a magazine-style book entitled ALF MELMAC ADVENTURES (although they are reprints from the series; some of them occurring on Melmac, others with the Tanners). They also published at least two ALF Magazines, which were mini-magazines (similar to Archies).

Go to http://www.marchantcards.com (Marchant Cards). I have been buying from these folks since the early 1990s. They still have boxes of the Topps ALF cards are reasonable prices. For the completist there is: ALF Series I (cards, sticker, and Bouillabaseball sets), ALF Series II (cards, sticker, and Bouillabaseball sets), and a non-Topps series entitled US of ALF, 51 stickers featuring all 50 states (and a checklist sticker). They are stickers, but printed like regular cards, so you can come them as a card set. Unlike the Topps sets, they are a cartoon-version of ALF (but not the version from the comics or the animated series).

Visit antique stores. You can find ALF childrens books, puzzles, lunchboxes, and more. In Hocking Hills Ohio at the antique mall there are just such items. A set of ALF books (about 4-5) is going for $11. You can also find ALF Wendy's Figurines in various places. I have seen those go for as low as $1.

This might be old news to everyone, but since I have had experience with these venues I thought I would pass on the word. The advantage of going to shop is that you can really see what the merchandise looks like (don't be afraid to ask the comic book or antique dealer to let you examine the item). As for Marchant Cards, unless it is local to your area, you are buying sight unseen, but they guarantee all their items are near mint to mint condition. Again, I have purchased from them for nearly 20 years and never been disappointed.

If you are a young ALF collector, or someone with a limited collectible budget, there is still time to get good deals. Most of these folks are very friendly and may even work out a deal with you. It helps to build a relationship with the folks you buy from. Look at antique stores and comic shops as barber shops or hair-dressers and make conversation. You just might make friends as well as get some nice items.

Happy hunting!
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: ALF Memorabilia

Post by ALFicionado »

Very good post and a great guide for collector's to follow, especially beginners. I'd also recommend flee-markets, you can always find good stuff there.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I'm thinking about snatching some stuff up from here...I had about $15.00 in a cart the other day, but chickened out before I placed the order :(
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

If you mean marchantcards.com they are great people to deal with, so you're fifteen dollars will be safe with them and you will be pleased with the purchase. Unless otherwise stated all their items are in mint condition. Thanks to them--and a comic shop dealer named Bill--I have every original Topps Star Wars trading card sets (and all of the wax packs and most of the stickers).
Alfcollector
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Alfcollector »

Just checking in as a new forum member. Great to connect with fellow Alf fans and collectors. Been a fan since 86 and collected shortly thereafter. I collect everything ALF! My family thinks I'm crazy, but I love it. Have a very large collection. Remember Scott Brodnax from South Carolina who was featured on Super Collector? I acquired his collection which was the same size as mine at the time. Would love to discuss anything Alf , especially memorobilia. Toyed with idea of writing Alf memorobilia guide. Anyone interested in such a project? No Problem!
ALFectionately yours,
ALF COLLECTOR from USA, New Jersey.
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

If you are every interested in contributing to the website it would be great to get a memorabilia/merchandise guide started on here! I'd also love to see pictures of your collection. We should chat more - welcome to the forum!
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Alfcollector wrote:Just checking in as a new forum member. Great to connect with fellow Alf fans and collectors. Been a fan since 86 and collected shortly thereafter. I collect everything ALF! My family thinks I'm crazy, but I love it. Have a very large collection. Remember Scott Brodnax from South Carolina who was featured on Super Collector? I acquired his collection which was the same size as mine at the time. Would love to discuss anything Alf , especially memorobilia. Toyed with idea of writing Alf memorobilia guide. Anyone interested in such a project? No Problem!
ALFectionately yours,
ALF COLLECTOR from USA, New Jersey.
Hi Alfcollector, great to have another ALF collector here on the forum! Are you the one who sent me that email through my website; ALFanatic? If so, I was the one who referred you here :)

Haven't heard of Super Collector, was it a TV-show? Would love to hear more info about that, how you got the collection and so on. I would also be interested in contributing to a memorabilia guide.

Welcome to the forum!

Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Perhaps a couple of us could collaborate with Alfcollector and have the same memorabilia guide on each of our sites (and list all contributors to the guide somewhere on the page)? This sounds like it could be a fun project!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

I would definitely like to have a definitive memorabilia guide. The ALF Wiki's merchandise category is still fairly thin and includes only what I perceived to be some of the most prominent merchandise. I will post everything I can on there as time allows. I encourage everyone else to do the same, as it is open for editing. Webmasters, feel free to use information and images from the Wiki for your sites as well.

http://alf.wikia.com/wiki/Category:ALF_merchandise

As always, if you have any questions on editing the Wiki, just send me a message!
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Perhaps we could also start a thread here called "Memorabilia Guide" - members can upload a piece of memorabilia and a short description? Thoughts? It will be in one location and then each of us webmasters can create our memorabilia pages and update them whenever there is an addition to the thread.
Iggy
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Iggy »

It would be great if you could make this memorabilia guide. I really don't know much about Alf merchandise that's out there so having it all in one place would be really handy if I ever chose to assault ebay.

Welcome to the forum Alfcollector :)
On the 82nd day of Christmas my true love gave to me 81 cats a-Broiling, 80 cats a-Baking,
79 cats a-Toasting, 78 cats a-Boiling, 77 cats a-Sizzling, 76 cats a-Poaching...
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Sounds like a great idea, I was going to start a topic on ALF 2004 merchandise as I'm very interested in what was available around that time, perhaps that could be incorporated in the thread too. :D
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

If it was possible to make it into a real book, now that would be something else! There are guides to all kinds of franchises, I think there's a possibility for one made devoted to collecing ALF stuff.

Alfcollector
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Alfcollector »

Hello, Alf collectors. Thanks for welcoming me to the forum. I like your ideas about the Alf Memorobilia Guide. Unfortunately, I have amassed so much Alf stuff that most of my inventory is still handwritten in my bad handwriting. I am 51 years old and my computer skills do not match those of my 15 and 13 year olds. Perhaps I can enlist their help. Super Collector was a cable television show out of Atlanta Georgia in the late 80s and early 90s. My friend Scott appeared on the show with his Alf collection and I have a VHS tape of that! I later bought his collection when he got divorced and did not want to collect anymore. My collection was already extensive at the time. Shortly after the show was cancelled, some of us formed a group called ALFMEISTERS. We put out some newsletters and I was Vice President. One of our members Darlene, actually appeared on Oprah Winfrey when Oprah did a show about collectors! Our group became defunct when I could not locate our President.
As for the memorobilia guide, trust me when I say there is more Alf stuff out there than we all realize. The undertaking would be massive. It would have to be done in two parts, United States items and the rest of the world. I believe Germany has produced the best graphics on many items. I wish I could find an Alf collector from there. After choosing one of the parts, the next step is to choose categories. My friend Scott chose to use manufacturers to inventory his U.S. collection, but I have chosen different categories of merchandise. The manufacturers list can then be cross-referenced. Perhaps fellow collectors can share the categories they have chosen and we can begin there. If someone can volunteer to place the info on this site or a related site, without prices, just to give collectors a sense of what exists, I believe this is the way to begin this project. What does everyone think?
spanks_4
Phlegm Dealer

Post by spanks_4 »

Making a list of everything made is going to be a serious task no matter how you do it. I have a very large Alf collection and I am constantly seeing new things that I don't have yet. I have slacked off on buying for about 6 months mostly because I just don't have any space for anything. I would be interested in seeing pictures of your Alf collection to see what I don't have.
spanks_4
Phlegm Dealer

Post by spanks_4 »

Also I think that if someone *ADMIN!!* could see if Paul Fusco *Alf/owner of licensing* has the list of what was licensed it would be a great start!
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

How about we start a Facebook group for ALF memorabilia that everyone can join and post photos and add comments?
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
ALFicionado

Post by ALFicionado »

Bring Back ALF wrote:How about we start a Facebook group for ALF memorabilia that everyone can join and post photos and add comments?
I'm deleting my Facebook account shortly, as I don't like what it's become and evolving to, so for me that wouldn't be ideal. But that's just me, of course.