Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

If There was an ALF Movie

If your ALF-related post does not fit into any of the other forums, or you do not know where to put it, this is the place!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

If There was an ALF Movie

Post by ALFsince86 »

First off, would you be for or against ALF coming to the big screen?

If you're answer is that, yes, you'd like to see an ALF movie, what kind?

So many films based on established characters start the story all over again: like the old Muppet movies, or more recently "Alvin and the Chipmunks". I know we have already had a thread about a CGI ALF and the general feeling is negative. I would hope they wouldn't CG him. What kind of story would you want? Essentially a remake of episode one with new actors playing the Tanners, or would you want a completely different story?

If you answered that, no, you wouldn't want to see an ALF film, would you be opened to a made-for-TV reunion movie reuniting the cast of the original series? Who would ALF be with today, or, as in another post I mentioned, would ALF have revealed himself to all mankind? Perhaps the Tanners would now be living with him if his coming out of hiding was lucrative?
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Re: If There was an ALF Movie

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

If the original writers are writing the script i'd donate the money.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I really like Paul Fusco's idea of a prequal, whic would be about the events leading up to ALF crashlanding on earth. I definitely want another ALF movie.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

Wow! I almost mentioned the idea of a prequel about Gordon Shumway's life on Melmac--I had no idea that Paul Fusco was thinking along those lines. The comic book series certainly made a lot of use of Melmac and it would be interesting to see what transpired days before the big boom!
80sguy
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1996

Post by 80sguy »

I'd like to see an Alf Movie, but the ideas about what I'd like to see are pretty mixed. If the movie was about Alf's life on Melmac, I'd probably see it, though I'll be honest his life on Melmac didn't seem as funny as his life on his Earth just judging from what I've seen in the Animated Series. There's not much room for him to get into trouble because he doesn't know "how it works here" or because "he's not use to doing this on earth". I think a remake with a new Tanner cast could be more funny than a Melmac plot. Though more than likely they would CGI Alf and not use puppets (of course with Fusco on the project, he'd probably see to it that it was a puppet).

I really don't know. I'd probably see it whatever the plot was. A perfect ending to the Melmac plot would be him crashing onto earth and cutting to footage from the first episode.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I hate to say it (and as much as I do not enjoy saying this), I think the only way to keep ALF alive is to appeal to the "new generation." Create a kids movie (Pixar-type, like the ones that appeal to both little kids and adults alike) about ALF's life on Melmac that would most definitely be a hit...then, and only then, do I personally feel ALF could make it back to prime-time with a successful TV show. If a movie came out now (and with the real ALF puppet) I think EVERYONE would say, "wow, an ALF movie...that's f-ing awesome!" BUT, how many would actually go see it?!????? Few. The audience that remembers ALF is shrinking by the year, time to hit up the youngins! All my opinion of course.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
80sguy
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1996

Post by 80sguy »

Well we've been having a kind of 80s revival the past few years with The A-Team (although not very successful unfortunately), the Ghostbusters and Back to the Future Game, all these other 80s movie remakes, I think the best chance Alf would have of coming back would be now before the fad dies down and no one really cares. Since a lot the kids watching the show are now adults, it makes senses to bring it back now. But yeah, a kids CGI movie seems like it'd be the best move (as much as I don't really like the idea). As long as we still have the real voice of Alf though, that will be enough.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

I think that Melmac isn't nearly as interesting as his life on earth. Don't get me wrong but i'd rather watch a movie with the Tanners and ALF on earth than just ALF on Melmac.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

I think puppet ALF could work in a movie. That's who we've seen since 1986. They haven't done CGI Muppets, so I don't think they need to CGI ALF. Some things, IMO don't work CGI.
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard

Post by Bring Back ALF »

I have always wanted to see ALF in a remake of The Odd Couple, living in a New York apartment with Adam Sandler!
I know it sounds wacky but I can really see the humour working between those two :D
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Bring Back ALF wrote:I have always wanted to see ALF in a remake of The Odd Couple, living in a New York apartment with Adam Sandler!
I know it sounds wacky but I can really see the humour working between those two :D
Sandler is usually the wacky one who doesn't give a rats ass about things. I think a movie with those two would be "The Even Couple" :lol:
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

I'd love to see a crossover of some sort, with puppet ALF barging into another Earth family. OMG, I just thought of the funniest idea. ALF crossing over with Twilight! *bursts into hysterics* This is insane, but it's going to be so much fun when ALF makes a fool of all the Twilight vampires.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

In Marvel Comic's ALF Annual #2 (1989) ALF ran into the Melmacian versions of a vampire in the story "Interview with a Hampire". So your idea has some basis in ALF history. By the way, that was a great story and I think ALF Annual 2 is the best of the three ALF annuals.
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

I think a prequel movie would be awesome. I think with special effects these days they could create an awesome Melmac setting. It would be cool to see what Melmacian life is like and to know more of the back story of ALF and the events leading to the destruction of Melmac.

I also like Bring Back ALF's idea of ALF and Adam Sandler remaking the Odd Couple. Actually it could be funny to remake any number of classic plays with ALF as one of the characters, perhaps in one of the Shakespeare comedies...
thehackercat
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Post by thehackercat »

Just bumping a thread after a long absence.

I would most definitely like to see an ALF movie. But, for sentimental reasons, I just don't think it would be the same, even IF the original cast got re-united. For starters, the nostalgic 80s feel would be lost unless the set designers and costume people paid meticulous attention to detail.

I feel about ALF about the same way I do for another fondly-remembered franchise: The Commander Keen video games. Although the originals will always be in my memory, and the fan-made mods are spectacular, I think a lot of the sentimentality would be lost if it was continued.

However, maybe some interesting story plots could revolve around ALF's use of 2010s technology?

Anyway, a cast reunion would be splendid, and probably more than I could ever ask for in an ALF movie, but I don't think some cast members would want to dredge up the emotional baggage that got buried with the show. Although, Max Wright seems to have mellowed out.

Anyway, I'll quit talking. Hey, what if somebody on the forums created a theatrical poster? Just a thought. :wink:
"Yeah, Willie; swing that axe!"