Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Alf's voice...

Post all questions and comments regarding the ALF Sitcom here.

Moderator: Administration Team

Alf's voice...

Post by Guest »

how come in the early episodes Alfs voice sounded rougher and in the later episodes his voice was different?
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Guest,

Good question. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer. I, also, am of the opinion ALF's voiced changed noticeably during the early episodes. My best description would be that ALF's voice became deeper and that it lost any traces of what may have been a slight East Coast accent.

Credits for all episodes show Mr. Paul Fusco as the one, and only, voice for ALF. Possibly, Mr. Fusco experienced puberty during those early episodes (hey - just kidding), or he worked to change his pattern of speaking into a voice for ALF that he perceived as more acceptable to a worldwide audience.

Any ALF Fans have information or addional comment concerning this subject?

Mike

Post by Guest »

maybe he changed it to the voice we know today to make him sound more smart-mouthed....:D lol
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

If I remember correctly, when I was watching The ALF Files DVD, I listened to the commentary on the episode "Try To Remember". I think something is said about ALF's voice change. You may have to check it out to be sure. There's lots of interesting stuff said in that commentary.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmacian56,

Thanks for the information. I have the "ALF Files" DVD , and will definitely check out the commentary as soon as possible.

Mike

Post by Guest »

could somebody post the part of the commentary in words about that part of his voice changing because I dont have the ALF files DVD yet... thanks for the help!!!

Post by Guest »

It's quite usual for puppeteers voices to change slightly over time, there was never anyone else who has voiced ALF. I think the voice is slightly off actually in the Pensylvania episode too.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Having once again listened to the running commentary option offfered for the "TRY TO REMEMBER" episode on the "ALF Files" DVD, I was reminded that (in my opinion) this "Special Feature" might best have been left on the editing room floor. While there is some interesting information related to the production of the ALF TV Series, there are also instances where obscenity and cruelty are used in an attempt at humor which many may find offensive. Fortunately, this "Special Feature" has an on/off option.

Now, back to the subject at hand. There is mention of ALF's voice within the commentary, but it is for the sake of humor, and not factual information. While ALF is out of the room, Tom Pachett and Paul Fusco (show creators) participate in staged conversation where they mention that, when the show gained populartiy, ALF wanted to hire a vocal coach and take speech diction lessons to perfect his voice.

The mystery concerning the change in ALF's voice continues without answer.

Mike
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I do agree with you on 1 thing, there was things said in that commentary that should have been removed. I didn't like the fact that ALF was using some coarse language. But I think this commentary is neat in the way that you hear Patchett and Fusco talk about the show. They need a special commentary of some sort on the Seasons sets.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Re: Alf's voice...

Post by jantje »

The funniest thing is that I didn't notice the change in his voice when I first watched the show in English, episode by episode. When I finished viewing Season 4, I started over again and I was like "Oh my gosh, what voice is this????" :D
twangle

Post by twangle »

in my opinion, i love both the voices .---
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

I like both too. ^^
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by ALFan »

My first thought was that when he came to Earth he had not ever been around humans before. I think that as his time on Earth increased, he developed more human character traits; I think one of those traits would be his voice. My other guess was Mr. Fusco just wanted the voice changed.
-ALFan-
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Yeah, that's a thought.
Alf=Funny
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Alf=Funny »

In some episode he was a puppet and his voice by someone i forget the name of and other times he was a costume and in the cotume was Michu Mezarros.
It says it on wikipedia
Alf Rox
jantje
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: my early childhood

Post by jantje »

Alf=Funny wrote:In some episode he was a puppet and his voice by someone i forget the name of and other times he was a costume and in the cotume was Michu Mezarros.
It says it on wikipedia
Alf was portrayed by a puppet throughout the whole show. Indeed, Michu Meszaros dressed in a costume, but only in the scenes where Alf's whole figure was visible, and only in seasons 1 and 2, as far as I know; and in those very short scenes, he doesn't talk at all. Paul Fusco provided his voice to Alf from the beginning to the end.
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

It' s the same thing as with Homer's voice in 'The Simpsons' it evolved during the period. It is always so. Voice of an actor changes during the show always or as they say 'Evolve'
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !