Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Latest Member

Are you new here? Post a thread about here so we can get to know you a little better!

Moderator: Administration Team

jebaumann1987
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2010

Latest Member

Post by jebaumann1987 »

Hi All, I am fairly new at this. But would formally like to introduce myself. I am a student at TCU working on a project/paper/thesis regarding an online community for a show that no longer is on cable television. I was a very young boy when Alf was on the air but I distinctly remember seeing him upon the screen. My time here will be short, but I hope to learn much about the online community, the history of the show, what it has done in popular culture, and so on. I am excited to get to know the web site and all that it has to offer. Thanks for having me :D
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Re: Latest Member

Post by Jessica »

Hey. I'm Jessica. Welcome to the forum!
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

welcome to the forum....yeah, this forum and site can offer you many things about Alf. I hope you will stay longer... :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

Welcome to the forum! Should you have any questions just let me know...we could even talk by phone as well.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
jebaumann1987
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by jebaumann1987 »

Thank you for being so welcoming! I really appreciate it. This is a great site. Easy to navigate and get linked in with.

I do have some questions though; maybe some of you wouldn't mind helping me out with them...

1. who makes up this fan site? Tell me about your personal story in relation to Alf. I do not know very much, but I believe I read somewhere that it was the 2nd coming of another TV show. Am I correct on this?

2. Why has Alf served as a foundation for this online community?
3. Why do you still discuss the show, even after its cancellation?
4. Has the community evolved to do more than discuss the show? (I think that it is evident that it has, but for research purposes - humor me :)
5. Finally, what does it mean to have a community centered on a television show? What role does it serve for you all, and for the creators, and the TV industry as a whole?

I really appreciate this, and look forward to having some open conversation about it. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

JB
jebaumann1987
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by jebaumann1987 »

Currently on Season 1, Episode 1... :)
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

1. who makes up this fan site? Tell me about your personal story in relation to Alf. I do not know very much, but I believe I read somewhere that it was the 2nd coming of another TV show. Am I correct on this?

2. Why has Alf served as a foundation for this online community?
3. Why do you still discuss the show, even after its cancellation?
4. Has the community evolved to do more than discuss the show? (I think that it is evident that it has, but for research purposes - humor me :)
5. Finally, what does it mean to have a community centered on a television show? What role does it serve for you all, and for the creators, and the TV industry as a whole?
1. I started this website back in July 2003. I watched ALF as a child when it originally aired from 1986-1990...my father taped many of the episodes, and my twin brother and I would watch them over and over (and over) as we grew up. This is one of those childhood things that stuck with me (for my wife it is My Little Ponies). Everyone seems to have that one thing from childhood...

2. After starting the website I realized that there were other fans such as myself who were nostalgic about ALF. This forum was started to give all of us a place to chat.

3. What is great about ALF is that even though I have seen each episode dozens (if not hundreds) of times, I still find something new each time I watch it. The humor is appropriate for all ages. It is mature enough for adults, and goofy enough for kids - not a lot of television shows can make that claim. There were also two cartoon spin-offs, a movie, a talk show, comic book series, a magazine, and LOTS of merchandise. I have been a fan for 24 years and there is still plenty to know.

4. We do much more than discuss the show here, we attempt to answer the questions we bring up. For example, I got in contact with Paul Fusco (creator and voice of ALF) a few years back and he was able to answer some fan questions. I am currently in the process of scheduling an interview with Liz Sheridan (who played the Raquel Ochmonek on the sitcom) in hopes to ask her questions about the show that we are all wondering.

5. I'll have to think about this one a little more.

I think I got most of your questions - if I missed something just let me know.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
jebaumann1987
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by jebaumann1987 »

Thank you!

Would anybody else like to share?
Earthling
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: His crash on earth

Post by Earthling »

Hello everybody,

I guess now I'm the latest member, since I only registered a couple of minutes ago. Great to see that there are still so many ALF-fans on this planet... Hope to speak to you soon, once I've finished watching the ALF-dvd I just got for my birthday (I won't tell you wich one, but of course there haven't been as much as grandma Dorothy's. Haaaaaaaaaa; oh, I kill me!).
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

Welcome Earthling...... :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.