Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Website Redesign

If you have any questions or comments regarding this forum or website you can post them here. Questions will be responded to promptly by one of the Administrators. Any important news, such as updates and down times, will be posted here as well.

Moderator: Administration Team

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Website Redesign

Post by Admin »

Hey everybody, I just wanted to post and give an update on the website redesign. I've been having routine chats with the project manager, and things are progressing nicely. What will be nice is that the template for the website and forum will be the same, so they will go together nicely. In all reality, within the next 4-5 days the template will be installed here on the forum (with the main website to follow). I'm hoping to have everything completed by by mid-July (exact date TBD). Some changes you will notice:

1) The .com domain name will be my main address (instead of .net) - but no need to worry because everything will forward. At the time I started this site, the .com was not available, but a few years later I was able to get it. I've been meaning to switch to it for quite some time, and now is the prime opportunity.

2) It will definitely be a leaner/cleaner website. The website will take up more of the screen (instead of being slammed/crammed to the left) and will give more of an opportunity to spread things out.

3) The mailing list and archive will be gone. With how much technology has progressed, this mailing list has become rather outdated. What will happen is that when people "join" the forum, they actually "join" the website. Now that I have the forum email issues resolved, I can just send a mass email to all forum members, since they are "members" of the website, and share big news that way.

4) Improved episode guides - mainly for the sitcom. There is going to be a LOT of new info (as you have already viewed in my teaser thread). Eventually I will have biographies and pages for all cast/crew/guest stars/directors/writers/etc. That is something that will take YEARS to work on though, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

5) Interviews - I plan to focus on this more in the next year. I already have plans to do interviews with 2-3 guest stars from the sitcom (names are secret as of right now, I do not want to give too much away). When everything is set in stone, I will probably post here at the forum and ask for potential questions.

6) Pictures - they have been in directories for the past few years...I tried to install a gallery at one time (where anyone could upload pictures) but it was never successful. I am still brainstorming, but this will definitely be fixed for the "Grand Re-opening."

7) Advertisements - there will be a few small advertisements on the website (on the side, they will NOT be in the way). As you know, this website is not cheap to run/operate, and to ensure that I do not have any out-of-pocket expenses I have had to resort to selling a little ad space. The most recent banner on the home page actually paid for half of the redesign. So this is something that has been necessary to keep the site running, and to keep it moving forward.

8) Video Clips - currently finding their way to YouTube. This will help get links to the website out there, and hopefully will bring in traffic from the YouTube site. Plus, it cuts back on the bandwidth and server space that the website will be using.

9) Facebook - invite your friends to join the Facebook page! This should also bring some much needed traffic to the website.

10) Between #8/9, I am hoping that we will see a moderate increase in traffic over time (not right away of course) and that will hopefully encourage people to join our forum.

This is all NEAR future. As far as the long term:

1) More info on ALF comics, with scans of all the covers.

2) More info on ALF trading cards.

3) Members only section, possibly re-creating the ALFmeisters fan club.

4) More opportunities for fan photos (ALF merchandise, etc.)

As usual, any suggestions/comments/opinions are always welcome.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Re: Website Redesign

Post by melmacian56 »

Very excited for all of this! Thanks for keeping us posted on it.
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
Blinky
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since:  

Post by Blinky »

very happy to see the future changes! love the gallery and comic cover scan copy ideas, i really like these ideas.

ill try and do my best of making this site more known to public,
"Don't look back. Something might be broken." ―Grandpa Satchel
Bring Back ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Bring Back ALF »

Looking forward to the launch and will help you promote your new site on bringbackalf and my facebook page :D

One thing that might be nice to have is a list of where ALF is currently being shown around the world. Since my site has been up and running I have had several emails from people asking what channels are still showing it and since I live in England I don't really know.

Just a suggestion :D
"Find out what you don't do well and don't do it!" Gordon Shumway Sept 86

www.instagram.com/bringbackalf/
https://www.facebook.com
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

That is on my list as well, thanks! I get emails regarding that same subject, and I always point them in the direction of the Wikipedia page (which is usually up-to-date with that info). I had that information on my site a few years ago, but with the limited time I had the page was nearly always out-of-date. Since I have had more time the past year or so, it is definitely worth bringing that page back.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

The updates look very promising, Jeremiah. I can't wait to see what it will look like when it's all finished.

Thanks for putting so much work into this, the most awesome site & forum in the world.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

There have been a couple delays, so hopefully within the next week I can have the forum template updated.