Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Problems with Project ALF

This forum is to discuss the Project: ALF movie from 1996.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Problems with Project ALF

Post by ALFsince86 »

In 1996 I was SO looking forward to seeing ALF again. After all, it had been six long years (the series ended in 1990). However, back then, I couldn't bring myself to watch it when I learned that he was stuck with the Alien Task Force and had not made his way safely back to the Tanners. I can't believe if Paul Fusco had his way when the series ended that ALF wouldn't have come back to the Tanners or successfully met his Melmacian friends.

I took ALF SO seriously in those days (and apparently still do). I hated the thought of him being trapped. I would prefer to think that things would have happened the way they did in the ALF Marvel Comic book series--he went public and everyone loved him!
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

ALFsince86,

In you post you mention your eager anticipation for the arrival of "Project: ALF", but you do not specifically mention if you have seen the TV movie.

In the closing scene of "Project: ALF" the title of "Ambassador to the Universe" is bestowed upon ALF, and the audience is left to assume that ALF will indeed be a public alien, should there ever be a future TV series or TV movie. Fact is that ALF has become a public alien with his brief run as a talk show host in "ALF's Hit Talk Show".

Now, we just need the next venue for ALF to publicly display his talents.

Mike
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

I confess, I did not watch the entire episode because I was so disturbed that ALF had been captured. Thank you for dispelling my anxiety. I guess I would attempt to watch "Project ALF" now. I did enjoy his hit talk show.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

ALFsince86 wrote:I confess, I did not watch the entire episode because I was so disturbed that ALF had been captured. Thank you for dispelling my anxiety. I guess I would attempt to watch "Project ALF" now. I did enjoy his hit talk show.
You have to see it, trapped or not it is still ALF we're talking about ;)
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011

Post by ALFsince86 »

I will make an attempt to see it (especially if I happen to win a copy).
mongoose
Asteroid Polisher

Post by mongoose »

In my honest opinion, Project A.L.F. is a perfect transition from the show. ALF's character has not changed, and everything is true to form. Yes, I would have enjoyed an appearance from the Tanners, but their lack of on screen time was explained. They were in Iceland. I for one love this film, and watch it more than any normal person would ever (sadly lol).
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

mongoose,

Welcome to the Forum. In total agreement with you that "Project: ALF" was a legitimate and logical transition from the ALF TV series. Although I would have liked stronger casting for two psychologist characters, overall ALF's TV movie was a very good effort that, for reasons unknown, is underappreciated, even by many ALF fans.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

Here's a link from youtube. It's part 1 of 10 of project alf. I haven't had a chance to watch it, but I want to. If you're not familiar with youtube, to get to parts 2, 3, etc, it's usually on the right hand side under related.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o2qdHolAv7A
mongoose
Asteroid Polisher

Post by mongoose »

ALFanatic wrote:mongoose,

Welcome to the Forum. In total agreement with you that "Project: ALF" was a legitimate and logical transition from the ALF TV series. Although I would have liked stronger casting for two psychologist characters, overall ALF's TV movie was a very good effort that, for reasons unknown, is underappreciated, even by many ALF fans.

Mike
Thank you for the warm welcome. Are you referring to Hill and Mulligan's characters?
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

mongoose,

Answer to your question - yes (William O'leary as Dr. Rick Mullican and Jensen Daggett as Dr. Melissa Hill). In my opinion, if more experienced actors had been cast to play these important supporting roles, the movie could have been better.

Mike
mongoose
Asteroid Polisher

Post by mongoose »

ALFanatic wrote:mongoose,

Answer to your question - yes (William O'leary as Dr. Rick Mullican and Jensen Daggett as Dr. Melissa Hill). In my opinion, if more experienced actors had been cast to play these important supporting roles, the movie could have been better.

Mike
Do you have anyone inparticular in mind?
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

mongoose,

Remembering that we are takling circa 1996 when "Project: ALF" aired, following two actors come to mind:

Male role: Ed Begley, Jr. (actually had cameo appearance in "Project: ALf" as one of the Doctors performing tests on ALF).

Female role: Terri Garr

Both actors, at that time, would have been more age appropriate for responsibility of parts being played, with more acting experience and comedic talent.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

I have to apologize about the youtube link, when I posted that, it was still working, but obviously someone reported it. Sorry about that.
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmac_alf

My opinion, good that the "YouTube" link is down, for I do not think you would have fully appreciated "Project: ALF" broken into segments. Strongly suggest you take the plunge and buy the "Project: ALF" DVD (uncut) which you can watch all at once, including the additonal commentary.

Mike
melmac_alf
Phlegm Dealer

Post by melmac_alf »

usually, on youtube, if something is broken up, it doesn't break up the show, I've watched things before on there, being parts 1, 2, 3 and so on and it's ok. I think eventually I will watch it, but it's just easier, and cheaper to watch something online.
Did you report it? lol
MR. Littwack
Cat Wrangler

Post by MR. Littwack »

As I stated in a different topic on Project ALF, I think the main thing the movie was missing was the Tanners. The characters in Project ALF seemed so bumbling. I think thats a word, LOL.

My point here is that if you watch the old show, ALF is not the smart character. Not to say that he is dumb though. He is just ignorant of life on earth. Most of his antics were born out of this in some way. The Tanners would then have to deal with or dig him out of whatever situation he got himself into.

Project ALF had our hero as the smartest character among characters that were just not very smart. I think that is why although he is still the wise cracking alien, the feel of the story just seemed different. I think that is why so many fans don't care for it as much. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
"I think that guy Littwack is building an A-bomb in the basement"
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Mr. Littwack,

My opinion, it was imperative for "Project: ALf" to remove ALF from the sheltered environment of the Tanner Family, so that one day he might be introduced to the world with far greater potential for revival of his career.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I really think they should have ended the movie better, with perhaps ALF going to see The Tanners again. He could be knocking on the door, then from a distance you see it opens and you could hear Willie say "ALF!" or something like it.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
mongoose
Asteroid Polisher

Post by mongoose »

AxelFoley wrote:I really think they should have ended the movie better, with perhaps ALF going to see The Tanners again. He could be knocking on the door, then from a distance you see it opens and you could hear Willie say "ALF!" or something like it.
I'm one to defend Project ALF to the bitter end, but I have to agree that would have been a fun closing shot.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I'm one to defend Project ALF to the bitter end, but I have to agree that would have been a fun closing shot.
Would probably have gotten some tears flowing too...
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com