Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

What ALF has meant to me.

Post anything you want here. This is the place where you get away from it all. In short, this is a forum for "chit-chat" and things of that sort.

Moderator: Administration Team

cuteandfurry
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1987

What ALF has meant to me.

Post by cuteandfurry »

ALF was different among the few people who came to know him. In the aftermath of the descruction he left bhind was compensated for the kindness and love he shared with the family who took him in. He brought joy to the faces of many that gathered around their televisons Monday's at 8:30, hardly getting enough of his antics. Throughout the years ALF was a warm memory that lived within me when the re-runs were no longer shown and it was not until such time when the sitcom was back on and the memories re-surfaced making it seem like 1989 again when I was a carefree four year old. Looking back on it now, growing up was an experience I would never forget or trade in. Going to school as a child and a teenager was not always fun times, being ridiculed amongst my peers for being different was something I was not a stranger to.

I'm thankful for the ones who went out of their way to make me feel inadequate, their actions allowed me to see that no matter how different you are there is always going to be people who will treat you with respect. As silly as it sounds ALF taught me alot about how to act and how not to act. So thank you to a sitcom, more than a sitcom, an 80s icon that touched so many. And thank you to all on this board for allowing me to be apart of something that's going to be apart of me for as long as I am here. This board helped re-enforce my sweetest memories.
Hello is this Mr. Ochmonek? Oh jolly good. I'm doing a survey for the B.B.C and wondering if you would like to answer some questions.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Re: What ALF has meant to me.

Post by Jessica »

Ohh that was well said!
twangle

Post by twangle »

This was said from a true Alf fan cuteandfurry! I myself was 16 years old and living in a foster home When Alf came on in 86. I was looking for something to feel that void i had in me.Alf was just like me, in a since, he was far away from home and with another family.This t.v. series helped me deal with life in a strangers house.To make this short,i love Alf and the comfort it brings me on the lonely nights of my life and will never forget it.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Ohh, I wasn't even born when ALF came in 1986. I was born 1990 and saw ALF around 1993. I have a good memory and I sure remember that!
twangle

Post by twangle »

Well it must have meant something to you to because this sitcom stuck out for you and made you come back to join us.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Yes. I even had a pair of ALF jeans at the time.
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by ALFan »

ALF has done so much, and deserves more than re-runs.
-ALFan-
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

I agree! He's awesome! I want more of him, but I want him to be the 80's ALF. :)
twangle

Post by twangle »

I agree! But alot of people want to see him on melmac or in another setting than the tanners.I think he should come back and join lynn or brian's family.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

twangle wrote:I agree! But alot of people want to see him on melmac or in another setting than the tanners.I think he should come back and join lynn or brian's family.
Yeah, exactly.^^
twangle

Post by twangle »

Well thats two that agrees. Most of them agree on the other topics because they are just folling what others say. but if you see i don't follow that crowd.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

Naah, I want the same ALF. :)
twangle

Post by twangle »

This i agree totally!!!!!!1
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by ALFan »

I would like to see it place after Project:ALF. Since he is greeted ambassador of the universe, he should go search for Rhonda or something like that. Then go to there new planet. Or he could go live with Lynn or Brian.
-ALFan-
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

This is interesting topic. What Alf meant to us is something special, for us, for me. Yes Alf show us what are the important things in life, the laugh to make someone happy, to hanging around with your family , friends, it doesn't matter what you look like or way you from. When we feel sad or something he is the character how will show us that there is even small thing to be happy and make our day better. Sometimes, I know it's my imagination but I think like Alf is somewhere there in some house living with some family, doing what he know the best, calling the neighbours, disturbing them, ordering pizza and stuffs hanging with the people on the Facebook, twitter or something like that.....and Yeah buying lot of stuff on amazon or ebay :D and make that family where he is living a "ordinary" life :D
Well we know that he is for as a character how will always live in our hearts :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by ALFsince86 »

I think if ALF has a theme, it is that you shouldn't let people control your opinion of yourself and make you stop behaving less than you are. ALF was confident in his own personality and wasn't going to change who he was. He matured and grew to love the Tanners, but he stayed his own individual, unique personality. This is a lesson I think most children and teens need to learn.

Even as an adult I was watching the episode where Willie and ALF hop a train and ALF looks out at the stars and says, "I miss my planet." Well, I'm still living on the same planet I was born on, but I can relate to him because my disabilities have caught up with me and there are so many things I can no longer do that I used to take for granted. I miss the world of freedom a healthier body allowed me to have.

This topic began in 2009, but I am glad Joe posted. It was worth reading the other posters comments.
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

ALFsince86,

That's beautiful about Alf, he showed us so many times how to live life. :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.