Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Will ALF Ever Be On Blu-Ray

Just buy a new pair of ALF underwear? Brag about your collectibles and merchandise here.

Moderator: Administration Team

dualsticks
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1990

Will ALF Ever Be On Blu-Ray

Post by dualsticks »

Hi all, I'm just wondering if the seasons of ALF will ever see it's way to Blu-Ray. I don't know if it's possible to re-master the episodes into HD, but just wanted to ask!. Thanks :)
Debbie_Anne
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Will ALF Ever Be On Blu-Ray

Post by Debbie_Anne »

It might depend on whether ALF was shot on videotape or film masters. Film is easier to clean up for hi-def presentation than videotaped shows. Video masters usually don't have the sharpness to give a good quality hi-def picture. Many 80's sitcoms were shot on videotape. An even bigger question would be whether "the old Alfer" has enough of an audience willing to repurchase the series to warrant a Blu Ray release.
Worm Raider
Cat Wrangler

Post by Worm Raider »

I think there's a bigger chance for an unsyndicated dvd release before there will be talk of Blu-ray. I think the movie is the best chance of getting either of these to get the go-ahead. Personally, I'm not sure ALF would really benefit from an HD release. I'd be more than happy to own the original versions in a box set that includes extra behind the scenes videos. It'd be great to have a reunion of the cast to talk about the show, but I find that even less likely.
Ha! I kill me!
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Old TV isn't really popular on Blu-Ray. Also I think that ALF won't make it anytime soon, but eventually BRs will take over DVDs much like DVD did to VHS, so once we will have an ALF blu-ray but not anytime soon.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
TESTMACORONI
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2000

Post by TESTMACORONI »

I believe the series was shot on videotape, so it would be tough for them to remaster. However, I have seen shows shot on videotape be remastered before and I think that it's possible. ALF's Special Christmas was shot on film so it could easily be remastered and look great, so we may see a release of that if ALF becomes popular enough again.
"Oh, that's just nuclear waste for my spaceship. Hey, don't worry. Life on this planet will exist as long as that little lid doesn't pop off..."
"...Oh, wait a minute. These are my crayons."