Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Do you consider The Animated Series canon?

Post any questions about ALF Tales or ALF Animated Adventures here.

Moderator: Administration Team

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Do you consider The Animated Series canon?

Post by ALFicionado »

The Animated Series, as most of you know, takes place before Gordon Shumway becomes ALF, meaning before he crashed in the Tanners garage. Do you consider these stories told on The Animated Series to be canon or do you only think about the sitcom as true ALF-canon?
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Re: Do you consider The Animated Series canon?

Post by ALFanatic »

AxelFoley.

Think you are stretching the definition of the word, "canon", but getting gist of your question, I believe the Animated Series pales in comparison to the importance of the ALF TV Series.

Mike
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Well, by "canon" I basically mean if the viewers think it's a part of ALF's history. If it happened in TAS, it belongs to his character, so to speak.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

AxelFoley wrote:The Animated Series, as most of you know, takes place before Gordon Shumway becomes ALF, meaning before he crashed in the Tanners garage. Do you consider these stories told on The Animated Series to be canon or do you only think about the sitcom as true ALF-canon?
I think it and the comics could be loosely considered canon - i don't think the writers were sticking rigidly to any ALF history tho, it was more about coming up with fun stories. There are fans who dicovered ALF via the animation, and others who just stuck to the sitcom - depend who you ask i guess, lol
ALFan
Orbit Guard Commander
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by ALFan »

I have been wondering the same thing and wanted to post this question,but didn't know how to word it.Therefore, I am glad you posted it.Personally,I all I want to watch is the sitcom.So like stated,it is just personal opinion.
P.S. I do not consider it important to know.
-ALFan-
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the beginning

Post by BountyHunter »

I do. Why? Because there is no reason not to. If they ever make that new ALF movie that takes place before the TV series and something in it contradicts stuff in the Animated series, then I may not consider it canon anymore.

But I'm assuming the new movie (if it ever gets made) will probably take place after the animated series and before the sitcom, so hopefully nothing will be contradicted.
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

BountyHunter wrote:I do. Why? Because there is no reason not to. If they ever make that new ALF movie that takes place before the TV series and something in it contradicts stuff in the Animated series, then I may not consider it canon anymore.

But I'm assuming the new movie (if it ever gets made) will probably take place after the animated series and before the sitcom, so hopefully nothing will be contradicted.
There may well have been contradictions between the comics and the cartoon. I think they repeated the whole "H.A.L.F" thing in the comics and expanded on it. Maybe some ideas for one came from the other.

I'd really like to see the full series of each cartoon on DVD. Its the only ALF thing not now released, apart from specials.
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

This is a tough question. Unfortunately, the cartoon is very inconsistent with the TV show as far as any sort of historical continuity, but on the other hand, the ALF TV series had plenty of internal inconsistencies within itself. To reconcile this, I have taken the viewpoint that the ALF animated series is simply ALF's retelling of the events to the best of his memory, keeping in mind that in his 230s, some of the details might be a little fuzzy and there may be a little historical mishmashing with the correct order of various events.
Briwhit1
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Briwhit1 »

I think It was a welcome change. Because even though the show was a big hit, I think we needed a " Backstory" of how alf was on Malmac.
& the cartoons provided that. Plus at that time it seemed like every year the network was testing the waters for popular Cartoon series and Alf fit the bill. :D
gav69
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1980's

Post by gav69 »

I found this site selling original hand painted A.L.F. production cels & illustrations actually used in the making of the cartoon series. check them out at http://www.animationvalley.co.uk
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Post by ALFreak »

gav69 wrote:I found this site selling original hand painted A.L.F. production cels & illustrations actually used in the making of the cartoon series. check them out at http://www.animationvalley.co.uk
wow, that's awesome! Do they ship to the U.S.?
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
ILoveALF
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 2004

Post by ILoveALF »

Yes, I do think that it's considered canon.
"I guess we`ll have to order in." ~ALF
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yes, I think it could be considered canon too because it does counteract a lot of things that were mention in the sitcom and the idea of it is mostly based off Alf's memories. that is why I'm taking a lot of liberty with my fanfic.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFreak »

I think it's cannon, but I do agree that parts of it were probably mixed up by ALF's memory. It's too bad there wasn't a finale episode about the big Melmacian nuclear explosion, but I guess it would have been too shocking and sad for the target audience. The episode could have ended with ALF crashing into the Tanner's garage, setting the stage for the Sitcom.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, kind of a shame the cartoon series did not last that long, it still left a lot of things unanswered. but yeah, an episode showing his planet explode might be too sad for younger audiences.
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

That's kind of my problem with the series. As a kid I never thought much about this. I just enjoyed the cartoon because I loved Alf. Once I got older the fridge horror of the animated series hit me. Most of the characters you see on the cartoon are doomed. They're going to die in a horrific planetwide explosion at some point. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy the cartoon now because that would always be at the back of my mind.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yes. the horrible reality that most of all the characters in it are going to die in the future does make it hard to watch sometimes, but later in the sitcom we find out rhonda and skip survived some how, so it makes me think that maybe not all of them died in the explosion, that a handful manged to escape.
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

That's probably true. I'm sure quite a few managed to escape in ships. And chances are good there were quite a few Melmacians off planet when the explosion happened. At least that's what I like to think.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I mean if ALF had a spaceship, I'm pretty sure everyone on melmac did, so they probably knew a lot about space travel to other planets.
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFreak »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:yes. the horrible reality that most of all the characters in it are going to die in the future does make it hard to watch sometimes, but later in the sitcom we find out rhonda and skip survived some how, so it makes me think that maybe not all of them died in the explosion, that a handful manged to escape.
This really put's ALF's situation in full perspective. Having a whole bunch of friends, family, neighbors, and more surrounding you one day, and the next day-nothing.