Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Do you consider The Animated Series canon?

Post any questions about ALF Tales or ALF Animated Adventures here.

Moderator: Administration Team

robodog
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Do you consider The Animated Series canon?

Post by robodog »

That's true. And considering all that it's a wonder Alf manages to stay so upbeat most of the time.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

ALFreak wrote:
Ninjadragon5 wrote:yes. the horrible reality that most of all the characters in it are going to die in the future does make it hard to watch sometimes, but later in the sitcom we find out rhonda and skip survived some how, so it makes me think that maybe not all of them died in the explosion, that a handful manged to escape.
This really put's ALF's situation in full perspective. Having a whole bunch of friends, family, neighbors, and more surrounding you one day, and the next day-nothing.
yeah, which is why I find it odd ALF is so nonchalant about it and remains pretty upbeat, really traumatizing experience if you ask me.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the beginning

Post by BountyHunter »

I consider it canon.

Just wish I could find the complete series somewhere. In English. I really wanna rewatch this show. haven't seen it since it originally aired.
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

BountyHunter wrote:I consider it canon.

Just wish I could find the complete series somewhere. In English. I really wanna rewatch this show. haven't seen it since it originally aired.
You should subscribe to Hulu Plus. Not only do they have the entire animated and live-action series available, they also have ALF tales. My fiance and I have Netflix and Hulu Plus instead of cable, and it was a nice little surprise to see all the Melmacian love on the streaming service.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by BountyHunter »

I'm in Canada, so that's not an option. :(
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

dang, sorry to hear that. :( they really should make hulu international. I did post some episodes on my youtube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/Blueravenfi ... e=g-user-u
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:yeah, I mean if ALF had a spaceship, I'm pretty sure everyone on melmac did, so they probably knew a lot about space travel to other planets.
I think ALF managed to escape because he was in the orbit guard.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

ALFicionado wrote:
Ninjadragon5 wrote:yeah, I mean if ALF had a spaceship, I'm pretty sure everyone on melmac did, so they probably knew a lot about space travel to other planets.
I think ALF managed to escape because he was in the orbit guard.
yeah, that is what I'm thinking too, he was probably in his orbit guard spaceship when it happened.
greattvtowatch
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by greattvtowatch »

The answer is NO, I believe the Animated series to be a flashback series, what was Alf doing before Melmac Blew up and he crashes into the Tanner's Garage, the answers are in the animated series. He was living at home with his parents and little sister and hanging around with his friends Rick, Skip and Rhonda and eating Cat burgers at the local diner. We know almost nothing of Alf life before he came to earth so who to say that the animated series isn't real and if I remember correctly didn't Melmac blow up because everybody plugged in their hair dryers at the same time causing a power overload which blew up the planet.
robodog
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by robodog »

I think Alf was being sarcastic about the hairdryer thing.

As for escape by spaceship, even though the average Melmacian citizen may not have had access to vehicles capable of space travel it's entirely possible that some of the planet's populace may have been evacuated right before the explosion by the government. Alf being on Orbit Guard patrol is probably what saved him, but I like to think there are more Melmacians out there. Chances are good Skip, Rhonda and Alf aren't the only survivors. Being that Melmacians are a space faring species there were probably quite a few off planet when the planet blew up.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I think ALF mentioned the real reason his planet blew up was nuclear war
and yeah, that's how I would imagine it too, there are probably lot of melmacians that survived the explosion, ALF just doesn't know that because he as been stuck on earth, he just knows about rhonda and skip.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

greattvtowatch wrote:The answer is NO, I believe the Animated series to be a flashback series, what was Alf doing before Melmac Blew up and he crashes into the Tanner's Garage, the answers are in the animated series.
This would make it canon then. So the answer should be yes :D
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

okay now I'm completely confused on what canon means.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by BountyHunter »

Canon means it happened in the same continuity. Meaning, the stuff that happened in the cartoon happened to the ALF in the sitcom. They are all a part of the same character's life.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

BountyHunter wrote:Canon means it happened in the same continuity. Meaning, the stuff that happened in the cartoon happened to the ALF in the sitcom. They are all a part of the same character's life.
oh okay thanks. I guess the anwser is yes then.
AlfAlfa_26
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2014

Post by AlfAlfa_26 »

In the past years, I was not sure if I should consider The Animated Series canon. Here is what I am thinking now:

When I rediscovered ALF nine years ago, I used to watch episodes of it on my bed on youtube after school, but I did not find them as entertaining or funny as the sitcom. Still, I was very excited that I could find out about ALFs life before he came to earth, to actually see his family and just what life used to be on his planet. But after a few episodes I stopped watching, because, as I said, I did not enjoy them as much as I did enjoy the sitcom, and because there were many inconsistencies(for example, ALF mentioned a different colour of the sun, the clouds and the sky in the sitcom).

Nowadays I am thinking the series could be considered as semi-canon(and that is partly because the sitcom has some inconsistencies too). I think of The Animated Series as based on ALFs real experiences, but I think he mixed some things in his memories with his experiences on other planets. He was born in the 18th century, so he had already a long life and so has a lot of memories that could change with time.
Since I do not know every episode of it, I do not know what to think of the segment in which there is a TV-Show called H.A.L.F on Melmac in which Willie Tanner crushed on Melmac: Maybe ALF mixed this in on purpose, because he is a TV-fan and thought about a tv-show in which Willie would have to face his fate instead? Or was the H.A.L.F segment in ALF Tales? Then it would not matter what I said in the previous sentence.
ALF Tales is something I would consider as not canon, or maybe as dreams from ALF, because he watches a lot of TV, but never as something that actually happened to him in his life.

So, there is only left to discuss what to do with the puppet-sequences of The Animated Series, because he speaks to his fans in them: I think they could be considered canon in the same way I think the Hit Talk Show(unfortunately, I have not seen an episode of it) and some of his cameos in commercials and other shows and movies could be considered as canon: As long as those apperances do not reference to the sitcom as a sitcom, so they are treating his life with the Tanners as real events, I consider them as happening after him becoming an ambassador in Project ALF(of course that could only apply to his appearances after the movie came out, so something like ALF loves a mystery remains non-canon for me.
The Animated Series came out before the movie in real life, but maybe we could assume it as as real TV-show based on his memories in universe after the year 1996.

This post has become longer than I expected it to be, thanks for reading! :lol:
Beanthatrabbit
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1988

Post by Beanthatrabbit »

yes i consider the cartoon to be 100% canon
Last edited by Beanthatrabbit on Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beanthatrabbit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Beanthatrabbit »

AlfAlfa_26 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:22 pm In the past years, I was not sure if I should consider The Animated Series canon. Here is what I am thinking now:

When I rediscovered ALF nine years ago, I used to watch episodes of it on my bed on youtube after school, but I did not find them as entertaining or funny as the sitcom. Still, I was very excited that I could find out about ALFs life before he came to earth, to actually see his family and just what life used to be on his planet. But after a few episodes I stopped watching, because, as I said, I did not enjoy them as much as I did enjoy the sitcom, and because there were many inconsistencies(for example, ALF mentioned a different colour of the sun, the clouds and the sky in the sitcom).

Nowadays I am thinking the series could be considered as semi-canon(and that is partly because the sitcom has some inconsistencies too). I think of The Animated Series as based on ALFs real experiences, but I think he mixed some things in his memories with his experiences on other planets. He was born in the 18th century, so he had already a long life and so has a lot of memories that could change with time.
Since I do not know every episode of it, I do not know what to think of the segment in which there is a TV-Show called H.A.L.F on Melmac in which Willie Tanner crushed on Melmac: Maybe ALF mixed this in on purpose, because he is a TV-fan and thought about a tv-show in which Willie would have to face his fate instead? Or was the H.A.L.F segment in ALF Tales? Then it would not matter what I said in the previous sentence.
ALF Tales is something I would consider as not canon, or maybe as dreams from ALF, because he watches a lot of TV, but never as something that actually happened to him in his life.

So, there is only left to discuss what to do with the puppet-sequences of The Animated Series, because he speaks to his fans in them: I think they could be considered canon in the same way I think the Hit Talk Show(unfortunately, I have not seen an episode of it) and some of his cameos in commercials and other shows and movies could be considered as canon: As long as those apperances do not reference to the sitcom as a sitcom, so they are treating his life with the Tanners as real events, I consider them as happening after him becoming an ambassador in Project ALF(of course that could only apply to his appearances after the movie came out, so something like ALF loves a mystery remains non-canon for me.
The Animated Series came out before the movie in real life, but maybe we could assume it as as real TV-show based on his memories in universe after the year 1996.

i consider the cartoon to be 100% canon
Beanthatrabbit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Beanthatrabbit »

Beanthatrabbit wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:01 pm
AlfAlfa_26 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:22 pm In the past years, I was not sure if I should consider The Animated Series canon. Here is what I am thinking now:

i consider the cartoon to be 100% canon and i treated the live action segments as non canon and the live action segments cannot take place after project alf because lucky is still alive unless you think that could be lucky 2
Beanthatrabbit
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Beanthatrabbit »

samstokes80 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:49 am This is a tough question. Unfortunately, the cartoon is very inconsistent with the TV show as far as any sort of historical continuity, but on the other hand, the ALF TV series had plenty of internal inconsistencies within itself. To reconcile this, I have taken the viewpoint that the ALF animated series is simply ALF's retelling of the events to the best of his memory, keeping in mind that in his 230s, some of the details might be a little fuzzy and there may be a little historical mishmashing with the correct order of various events.
i consider the cartoon 100% canon