Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

So, does Sony actually own ALF now?

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

MostMoistMike
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2018

So, does Sony actually own ALF now?

Post by MostMoistMike »

I'll be upfront in saying Sony Pictures is, in my opinion, the weakest major studio active today. They've been pretty consistently putting out low-quality releases for the better part of a decade. This is my personal opinion, and I'm not here to rain on anyone's parade or argue, but it's important that I get that info out of the way, to put context to my incredible concern.

I've read quite a few articles about the potential Sony movie, and while it seems like the future of it is currently uncertain, one thing is stated pretty clearly.

"Sony Pictures has acquired the rights to ALF"

As I understand, Mr. Fusco has always been very protective of the character and the property that is ALF. I have a great amount of respect for him, so I find it hard to believe he would simply sell away ALF outright.

Surely they're talking the sitcom itsself, right? Please tell me Alien Productions hasn't sold my beloved ALF lock, stock, and barrel to Sony, to do with him as they wish for the rest of time. Say it ain't so?
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Re: So, does Sony actually own ALF now?

Post by ALFicionado »

I doubt Paul Fusco would give away the rights for them to do what they please. I don't see him ever doing that.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

If I'm recalling correctly, Sony just got the rights to do the movie that they never did, not blanket ownership of the character, franchise, or anything like that. I'm with ALFicionado; I also highly doubt that Fusco would just sell the rights to do whatever the heck they want to with ALF to anyone.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Alffan1001cec
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2016

Post by Alffan1001cec »

I do not know about this. It seems like a giant mess to me. If Fusco gives the film his approval, we might see a trailer by 2021. :|
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

To my understanding, Sony just optioned the film rights, meaning they contracted with Fusco to have the exclusive rights to make an ALF film for a certain period of time. I would guess that option has expired by now, unless Sony renewed it. Of course, the latest news is that Warner Bros. is developing a new TV series, although I have no idea where they are in that process.
JasperM
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1990

Post by JasperM »

I just hope this film isn't going to end up in the development hell. Alf doesn't deserve that fate.
JaredF
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1990

Post by JaredF »

Does anyone have any contact information with Fusco or confirmation of ownership rights? I know this hasn't been posted on in quite some time but myself and my writing partner have a treatment pilot for a reboot/continuation of the series and would like to get in touch with the right people. We don't have management that is able to help with this at this time.

In my heart of hearts I would love to do right by Alf as I've been a massive fan for a long time. Any information would be helpful. We can't shop the script around for something we don't have any claim to the rights of.
petroben
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: ABCD

Post by petroben »

Hey there,

I completely understand your concern, especially given your attachment to ALF. While Sony Pictures may have acquired the rights to ALF, it doesn't necessarily mean they have full control over the character's fate. Licensing deals can vary, and creators like Mr. Fusco often retain certain rights or creative input. It's always challenging when beloved characters are involved in these transitions, but let's hope for the best and keep an eye on how things unfold.Nick

Best regards,