Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Another sitcom?

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

JackJames
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2000

Another sitcom?

Post by JackJames »

Would you like to see another sitcom after the movie premieres? What if the movie is a reboot from the show (You know, retelling ALF crashing into Tanner's house and they decide to "adopt him") and is the beginning for another sitcom? Would you like that?
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: Another sitcom?

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

kind of yes and no, i mean yeah, i would love to see a modern reboot of ALF, but could that kind of sitcom really survive in this day and age? what worked well in the 80s, may not necessarily work well in today's media. if there was another sitcom, it would have to learn from all the flaws and mistakes on the original series and perhaps changed the way it would be filmed and of course, there would have to be an entirely new cast. of course there have been several reboots of other 80s tv series before, some have been successful, but some have not. so doing a reboot always as me worried it might not survive with today's audience. of course, there always the case of die hard fans hating it because it is nothing like the original.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
JackJames
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by JackJames »

I think that, the problem with the 80s series, was that it was not as "over the top" as it really could be, I mean, yeah, it could be a little ridiculous at times, but not as ridiculous as it could and should be with a show about an alien protected by a normal family and living with them, sometimes its pacing was "too calm". Maybe it was because of the time and these times it would let them be more over the top.
I also really don't know, it could work or it could not work, but still it would be itneresting seeing ALF returning to the small screen.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

that is very true, a lot of the episodes were very mellow and it could of been more over the top, but I don't see how that would be possible without being to crude or cynical, which I kind of hate about sitcoms today. I think it could work if the series played more the alien side of things, have ALF trying to understand the way of thing in human society on earth.
JackJames
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by JackJames »

Yeah, but if they manage to make it work, it'd be awesome, and hey, even if they don't, is better than nothing lol
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I'd like a continuation of Project: ALF more than anything, not a reboot show that messes with the original concept/characters too much. The original is perfect as is, IMO.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Alf for lif
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1992

Post by Alf for lif »

I'd love to see a series of ALF, it lacks much :cry: !! And the longer it goes and there is nothing more to televison :(
ALF FIN SANE
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by ALF FIN SANE »

They really could use the movie to launch a new sitcom. If that happens I would probably wait for the new sitcom more than the actual movie so yes I would like that very much. I think they will have to introduce ALF to a new generation and that could take the whole movie. Ultimately, I would be happy to see ALF make a second coming. Look at those TMNT! Hopefully they will continue the new sitcom past season 4 this time :)!
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, the new TNMT series is pretty good, not to mention a new transfomers series is coming soon and I read an article a rainbow brite reboot might be planned too. so yeah, I want ALF back!
Alf for lif
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1992

Post by Alf for lif »

Yes it will appeal to generations now, it'll be weird to be back ALF after several years of absence
Melmac98
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: Jan or Feb 2013

Post by Melmac98 »

ALFicionado wrote:I'd like a continuation of Project: ALF more than anything, not a reboot show that messes with the original concept/characters too much. The original is perfect as is, IMO.
I'm with you on that, although I would really love a reboot. Either would surely make the phrase 'ALF fan' no longer conjure up images of a guy with a mullet who still plays the keytar and drives a Subaru GL.
But I don't think a reboot would last, as many a good show doesn't these days, because the networks are getting much quicker to cancel them without giving them a chance (cases in point: Utopia, A to Z, Manhattan Love Story and even Selfie!). I thought for sure all of those would be HUGE hits.
"Traditions are like plates; they're made to be broken"

Land Before Time forum: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php
Balto forum: http://baltofanclub.proboards.com/
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

that is very true, networks seem to run through new tv shows like water these days while keeping some of the old ones to the point of beating a dead horse which kind of makes it really hard for a show like ALF to catch on again before it gets canned again. i mean look at the new dallas series, that only lasted 3 seasons.
AlfAlfa_26
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2014

Post by AlfAlfa_26 »

ALFicionado wrote: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:13 pm I'd like a continuation of Project: ALF more than anything, not a reboot show that messes with the original concept/characters too much. The original is perfect as is, IMO.
I would really love to see a continuation of the sitcom format, and it would not have to be that expensive in production, I would be fine with a lot of "bottle shows" just centered in the same room. That said, I agree with ALFicionado that I only want a continuation, not a reboot.

I think that at the moment Ryan Reynolds is testing how many people will watch ALF on his streaming service and how they will react to the new commercials he produced.
The new commercials begin similar to the sitcom, with a view of a house and after that showing us a room in the house. And ALF is living with a person named Eric :D . I would really like to see something like this as a new sitcom, especially when the original puppet and Paul Fusco will be involved!

Besides of my personal love for ALF, I think that ALF could make a lot of important comments about todays society and the state of the world. There are plenty of topics that were adressed in the original series that are still important; and there are a lot of things the old show never discussed(maybe it would have, if they have had more seasons back in those days).