Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

The latest on "ALF: The Movie"

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

ALF
Junior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2005

The latest on "ALF: The Movie"

Post by ALF »

Hi everyone,

It has been quite a while since I have last been here, but I just wanted to check in and see what everyone has been up to! What's the latest on ALF: The Movie? Is that a working title, or do you think it will actually be the release title? I can't wait to see what Mr. Fusco's got cookin' for us fans!

Shervin
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Re: The latest on "ALF: The Movie"

Post by Admin »

Personally, I have not heard anything from the Fuscos. No movie title (yet) either.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

It's supposed to start filming sometime in 2013, correct?
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

I have no knowledge of any timeline.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Alf Winchester
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2008

Post by Alf Winchester »

The title should just be "ALF"
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

I know what they shouldn't call it - Project: ALF 2. :lol:
AlfaManiac
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by AlfaManiac »

W/ today's CGI technology an ALF movie should be incedible. The improvements in The Smurfs from they're television show was nothing short of amazing.

Also they need to get ALF an alien friend. Hopefully from melmack or similair planet. He's probably really tired of us stupid humans who don't eat cats. Although < that could be a helluva markteting tool in Vietnam. Ha ha ha ha (Alf humor).
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

I disagree. the CG in the smurfs movie kind of bugged me, the smurfs kind of looked like ceramic figures and the CG on the cat was just awful, but if they did the CG more along the lines of the movie ted, now that would be impressive. I only pray that CG alf does not look too terrible.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
AlfaManiac
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by AlfaManiac »

My hope is the movie will retain alot of the late 80's conservatism which was forced on the producers by the censors of the time since nowadays they'll allow just about anything except full frontal nudity on family tv shows. A little racier ALF sarcasm will be funny but hopefully they won't go too far.

I agree w/ you on the Smurfs movie which I had to endure w/ my 9 yr old son. Its such a shame all the technical wizardly of today is totally wasted on such terrible tv, music, and movies. Having been an extra on the huge flop The Green Lantern I can tell you there is very little artistic integrity in hollywood these days since very few movies are actually made in hollywood today anyway.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I hope so too because I could see alf being more crude and sarcastic and since tv is hell a lot less conservative these days, they probably could get away with a lot. of course, probably being geared more towards kids, best to keep dubbed down some what.

yeah, it really is a shame to see such great technical wizardly wasted on bad movies. I think the problem is there aren't many truly talented directors left in the industry, most are in it to make a quick buck. that is why I'm kind of skeptical on the alf movie, I do want the alf movie to be made, but I'm just dreading it might turn out bad.
Joe Shumway
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: somewhere in the nineties

Post by Joe Shumway »

I think we will have something really good. Because of this absence that Alf had from tv...it just got to be good one.
I belive in Mr.Fusco. He's very talented guy. I remember in some interview of Mr.Fusco that he mentioned if Alf was on air that they would have a great jokes for him, especialy these days where you have any kind of celebrities. :)
Willie: You can't vote ALF, you're not a citizen.
ALF: I'll apply for a green card.
Willie: That's only if you want a job.
ALF: Pass.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, your right, paul is pretty much the only saving grace for this movie because only he knows alf the best. so here is really hoping in turns out good. and your right, with this celebrity gossip and stupidity going around these days, i bet he as a ton of material he would like to use.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the beginning

Post by BountyHunter »

This is gonna be a continuation of the TV series and TV movie continuity, right? Not some reboot.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

BountyHunter wrote:This is gonna be a continuation of the TV series and TV movie continuity, right? Not some reboot.
as far as I know it is going to be a reboot, but that is just from what I heard from the news when sony pictures first got the rights to do the ALF movie, it's not really confirmed yet.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by BountyHunter »

WHY do they always have to reboot everything??? ARGH! Not going if it doesn't include the TV series/movie in its continuity. So tired of reboots.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I can understand your beef about reboots, but you have do understand that went making these kinds of movies, not only does it appeal to the older audience that remembers the show but also the younger audience of today, most young people of today don't know who ALF is, so they introduce the story of the character all over again, otherwise if the movie continued where the previous movie left off, some people might be confused.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by BountyHunter »

That's what the flashback was invented for.

This isn't us getting ALF back. This is us getting a different, new version of ALF.

I want the real one back, not a new version. It's totally easy to make a continuation and fill people who may not know the character in over the course of the movie. It's just easier to retell a story that's already been told then continue an old story, so that's what they do. Hollywood hasn't had a lick of originality for years. It's sad.

It's like the Smurfs. The new movie was a reboot, but there was absolutely no reason it had to be. In fact, I didn't even realize it was until I went on some forums and they pointed out discrepencies between the movie and the old cartoon. For all intents and purposes, it could have been a continuation. And they just went right in and had a Smurfs movie. Not an origin of the Smurfs movie. It took place in modern times, and could have been set a few years after the old TV show. So why can't they just do that with ALF, but keep it in the same timeline.

If they absolutely have to do a retelling, then have the movie open with the REAL Alf going to see a movie about his life. Then any differences can be explained away as he sold the rights to his life story and somebody made a movie out of it. Something like that, I could handle. It would be a good place to have original series/Project:Alf character cameos, too. They're all going to the movie with ALF.
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

Alf Winchester wrote:The title should just be "ALF"
I agree 100%. I think the reason this whole "ALF" movie came about was because The Muppets did so well. I loved that film and felt that it went back to basics. I think for the ALF film to succeed it needs to try and not over complicate itself, and retain the charm that we all fell in love with as kids.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

BountyHunter wrote:That's what the flashback was invented for.

This isn't us getting ALF back. This is us getting a different, new version of ALF.

I want the real one back, not a new version. It's totally easy to make a continuation and fill people who may not know the character in over the course of the movie. It's just easier to retell a story that's already been told then continue an old story, so that's what they do. Hollywood hasn't had a lick of originality for years. It's sad.

It's like the Smurfs. The new movie was a reboot, but there was absolutely no reason it had to be. In fact, I didn't even realize it was until I went on some forums and they pointed out discrepencies between the movie and the old cartoon. For all intents and purposes, it could have been a continuation. And they just went right in and had a Smurfs movie. Not an origin of the Smurfs movie. It took place in modern times, and could have been set a few years after the old TV show. So why can't they just do that with ALF, but keep it in the same timeline.

If they absolutely have to do a retelling, then have the movie open with the REAL Alf going to see a movie about his life. Then any differences can be explained away as he sold the rights to his life story and somebody made a movie out of it. Something like that, I could handle. It would be a good place to have original series/Project:Alf character cameos, too. They're all going to the movie with ALF.
that is true, you got a point there, it could all be done in a flashback, but squeezing the entire series plus a movie might kind of hard, not to mention his backstory say in the span of a hour and half movie. I really don't think alf would change all that much because paul fauso is still around and he is still in charge of own character,his humor and jokes might change a bit to fit modern times, but I think his personality would remain mostly the same. but I do get were your coming from, it would hard to expect the new ALF because it not exactly like the one we grew up with and that trying to make him hip and cool today's audience might ruin his character.
like the alvin and the chipmunks movies, it was very hard for me to expect their new look because it's not the cartoon version I grew up with, but could you imagine a CG version of the cartoon version? it would pretty weird. i think that the problem with these reboot movies, most ride heavy on nostalgia while trying to appeal on a younger audience and they end up falling flat, the only movie that i think almost got it right was the muppets movie. the smurfs movie was a reboot? that's news to me. well, since the smurfs really didn't have a continuous storyline i thought it was a continuation of the series.
but yeah, I too could see the new movie as a continuation of the where the previous movie left off, problem is would that go over well with today's audience, even if it did have a flashback? might be a lot to take in for someone who as not heard of ALF.
BountyHunter
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by BountyHunter »

I'm just saying they COULD easily make it a continuation and still make a movie that everyone could enjoy. They don't need to mention every little thing that happened in the old series. Just have Alf doing a narration at the beginning explaining how he got here (with some flashback scenes thrown in while he's doing it). Takes up 5 minutes at the start of the movie, then fade in from the flashback to current day Alf, maybe telling somebody about his past. Then start the movie from there.

See, I like to look at Alf like Paul Fusco does, meaning that he's real. (Obviously, I know he isn't). The TV show happened, Project: Alf happened etc. After the events of the TV movie, Alf became known to the general populace, which explains his presence on shows like Hollywood Squares, and Alf's Hit Talk Show. I think the movie should pick up from there, with the general populace being aware that he's an alien and living on Earth.