Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

The latest on "ALF: The Movie"

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Re: The latest on "ALF: The Movie"

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I do see see what you saying, if that made is something like the beginning of the movie Ted introduce him at the point he first crashed landed on earth then a brief montage of clips leading up to present day,I see how that could work, although I would miss the ALF and family humor which made the show great, if the movie was a continuation I don't think we would get that. that is why I wouldn't mind so much a reboot for this movie if it had all the great humor in it that the tv series did.

yeah, the way paul fusco operated the puppet made him very life like, almost beyond what jim henison could do. too bad they of thinking of going CG with him for the movie. while yes, ALF did gain some popularity back when in talk show was on, but it was short lived. unfortunately, ALF is not as well known icon as say the muppets, I bet if you asked some random person on the street who ALF was 50% present of the time they probably say no. but thank god for the hub channel for showing ALF again, so hopefully more people will know who ALF is, I think they are doing that to try to get people excited for the movie or just to say to the general public "hey, remember this guy?"
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
D-ALF
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by D-ALF »

Reboot sounds just horrible. CGI and 3-D as well.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

agreed, but you know we have no say over the movie. all we can do is hope the movie will go in the right direction.
Debbie_Anne
Asteroid Polisher

Post by Debbie_Anne »

Quite frankly, I don't have high hopes for actually seeing the ALF movie in theaters anytime soon. I could be wrong, but it seems to have been sitting around too long with no actual news about it. ALF is a product of his time. I really can't see modern kids getting into ALF as much as the original audience did. But that is just my opinion. At least we have the episodes on DVD...
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, all we have heard so far is the movie was green lighted by sony entertainment, so the movie is diffidently going to happen, when exactly the movie is going to come out is really hard to say. you could be right about modern kids not getting into ALF as much, I've heard from a lot of younger kids they think ALF is a little creepy. which I can't see why, but I guess you have of had to grown up with show to get it.
ZigmaRose26
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2012

Post by ZigmaRose26 »

I think that the ALF series should not be rebooted, but should be told from ALF's perspective on what life was for him at the Tanners house because during the 80's sitcom we only get to see what the Tanners went through with ALF.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, that would an interesting new perspective because not only is a huge change for the tanners but for alf as well,he goes from living with own family on his home planet to living with a family on a planet he barely knows about.
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

That's true. The whole thing was probably just as strange for ALF as it was for the Tanners. Imagine having to adjust to an entirely new world from the one you're used to. Living with a new species with new and strange customs you had to learn to adjust to. And all the while knowing you can never go home again because home no longer exists.

I think we may need to face the fact that ALF will more than likely be CGI. That seems to the direction film effects are going for most things. I hate it myself. CGI is a crutch. They use it for everything even when practical effects would be far more believable. But practical effects require more than sitting at a console pushing buttons and a lot of studios don't want to deal with it if they don't have to.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, so talk about a pretty traumatizing experience of Alf, but in the series he handles the big change surprisingly well.

yeah, I have pretty much accepted the fact Alf is going to be CG, which I don't see it all as a bad thing, I see they could use it to their advantage to do a lot more with alf that they couldn't with using the puppet. I understand your beef with CG stuff, but there a difference between good CG and bad CG. good CG can make the movie, but bad CG can also break a movie. we only hope whoever does the CG will try to get as good to the puppet as possible.
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

The movie Ted proves that a small fuzzy creature can be done with CGI and done well. And despite my dislike for it I admit in some cases CGI is a necessity. The Transformers movies could never have been done without CGI, nor could Yoda's fight scenes in the prequels. But it is also possible to combine CGI and puppetry/costumes which is how they created the creatures in Where The Wild Things are.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, good examples, I was impressed with the CGI in ted and in Where the wild things are. I was surprised they used both puppetry costumes and CGI in Where the wild things are because really you couldn't tell the difference. just proves CGI and puppetry can work together if done right.
alfonthehub2013
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1993

Post by alfonthehub2013 »

Haven't heard much about the ALF movie since looking at the screen of it on this site.
Natassja Phillips

"You crawl under people's houses, you hear things!"
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

alfonthehub2013 wrote:Haven't heard much about the ALF movie since looking at the screen of it on this site.
I know, I am starting to get a little worried, to be honest. When I check IMDB, all you see is ALF, Project: ALF, and the animated series'. I feel like with how quick Hollywood works these days, it would at least be moving along a little faster, and have an IMDB page, filled with snippets of news. It's sad that the related ALF news doesn't really haven't anything relevant this year. I just hope Sony Pictures (they are the ones doing it, correct?) gets their butt in gear. It'd be great to see this around 2015-2016.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

I know what you mean, but movies take time, even the not so great ones. there has not been any more news about because they probably don't want any info leaked onto the internet just yet. we just have to be patient
Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

Ninjadragon5 wrote:I know what you mean, but movies take time, even the not so great ones. there has not been any more news about because they probably don't want any info leaked onto the internet just yet. we just have to be patient
You make a good point, especially with how secretive Paul Fusco can be with the character. I'm trying to be positive, but I feel like maybe if we don't see any news in the next few months/end of the year, it's canned. I really hope Sony Pictures proves me wrong, and has an explosion of news in the near future and maybe it will start production in 2014, and we get a 2015-2016 release.
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

yeah, I really hope we get some kind of news by the end of the year because I really want the Alf movie to happen.
afertuna
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the commercials b4 show

Post by afertuna »

ALl I have to say is they had better stay away from the animations like the smurfs that was in my opinion a disaster. He need to stay a puppet!!!!!
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

The Smurfs movie wasn't that bad. It wasn't great by any means but it was watchable. While I too would prefer Alf be a puppet for the movie we have to be realistic. Puppets and animatronics aren't used nearly as much as CGI for creature effects these days. I hate it more than I can express in mere words but it's something I've come to accept. I think there's a better chance Alf will be CGI than he will be an animatronic puppet. I don't like it and I hope I'm wrong but I'll be very surprised if they take the puppet route.
David4
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 7 or 8 Years Old

Post by David4 »

Is there actually an Alf movie or are they actually planning for one? If they’re planning for one? I’m there. If this virus is way gone by the time it comes out? I’m going to see it.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

There were plans a few years back for an ALF movie; however, I have not heard anything in regards to it going forward.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com