Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF in 3D!

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

Suburban_Sensei
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1991

ALF in 3D!

Post by Suburban_Sensei »

To start off, I was actually never a huge fan of the 3D for years. The technology has gotten much better, as companies seem to use better cameras. Movies shot natively in 3D, that don't do much of that "pop-out" gimmicky stuff, really help immerse you in the world (Prometheus comes to mind). My question to you guys is...do you hope that the ALF movie gets the 3D treatment? The old me would of said "HECK NO!" but now, if done right, with the right camera's, it'd be great to feel more immersed in our furry Melmacians world.

On a side note, I actually have seen ALF in 3D...sort of..well, let me explain. Just recently, my parents had helped my girlfriend and I out, because they know we watch movies/tv shows, etc. alot, yet had a very small TV. They went out and bought us a 47" LED 3DHDTV. It's another reason I have become more of a fan of the whole concept, after seeing it utilized very well in various 3D blu-rays and such. One of the features on the TV is called 2D --> 3D. Basically, it takes any 2D image and projects it (rather roughly, of course) into a 3D image. Well you obviously know what I popped in first! Safe to say, ALF looked odd, since it is not a proper conversion, but it just got me thinking about how great it would be if a studio actually put time into it. Anyways, let me know your thoughts!
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: ALF in 3D!

Post by samstokes80 »

If it is done well, I'd be all for it. I haven't ever really been that impressed with 3D movies in the theaters. The only really cool 3D movies I have seen are the ones at Disney World and Universal Studios. Anything that I've seen at a regular movie theater pales by comparison.

But if they found a way to make it cool, I'd be interested in seeing it in 3D.
DocJAC
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by DocJAC »

Re: Alf in 3D

I think Alf in 3D would be awesome :o
greattvtowatch
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: the beginning

Post by greattvtowatch »

Alf is already in 3D in every episode of his TV series. (HA, You kill me)
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

I have mixed feelings about that because like you said 3D can be done really good, but also really shitty.I feel the 3D is unnecessary if nothing really exciting or action packed is happening in the movie, like for instance if the movie was of mostly people just talking to each other, what would be the point? now if the movie had a lot of action scenes, I could see how 3D could improve the worth of seeing it in the theater. I saw avatar, how to train your dragon and pirates of the Caribbean 4 in 3D and it worked pretty well for all those movies. all depends on how it would be filmed too, because some cameras can really screw up the look on 3D.
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
ALFreak
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: ALF landed on earth

Post by ALFreak »

In order for them to fully capture ALFs range of movement and emotion, i think they should make a motion capture puppet of ALF that Mr.Fusco could control. I also think that they should try to still only show waist up, as his legs dont really show emotion or anything, ande the sitcom showed us that ALF only needs the top half to show us what he's thinking.
Oh Yeah? Well, You're a Wienier!
D-ALF
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by D-ALF »

Ughhhh! 3-D No! Bring back the ALF Puppet as we all know and love. 3-D is a gimmick that has never worked in my opinion. CGI as well looks just horrible. These directors use it to save cash etc.
robodog
Cat Wrangler

Post by robodog »

ALF in 3D? I can imagine a giant snout poking out through the screen.
Meddle not in the affairs of animatronic beasts for you are crunchy and make an excellent fuel source
alfonthehub2013
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1993

Post by alfonthehub2013 »

I don't think 3D would capture ALF's full look, I mean how would they make the hair realistic, it would have to be probably handled by the same people that created Monster's INC who created Sully the blue monster to get that realistic flow of ALF's fur on 3D viewing. That would take alot of work, ALF just being the way he is, is better in my eyes. :?:
Natassja Phillips

"You crawl under people's houses, you hear things!"
Ninjadragon5
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 2002

Post by Ninjadragon5 »

pixar did sully in monster's inc and I don't think they would work on this movie, but yeah, modeling Alf would a huge undertaking because of all the fur he as, but CGI as improved a lot over the years so i think it could be done. I heard sony entertainment is doing it and they done some good stuff over the years.(cloudy with a chance of meatballs.)
let's face it, I'm unforgettable!
monotheist
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: TV

Post by monotheist »

love ALF and I am sure everyone does. I just hope ALF gets enough media attention for the movie. I think ALF should do something on YouTube like a talk show and maybe get his sitcom on Retro TV or PBS too. Any ideas to get him some attention? :D
SAJID