Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

ALF movie got the Green light!

The latest ALF movie recently given the green light by Sony Pictures Animation. It will be produced by Jordan Kerner, Paul Fusco, and Tom Patchett. Discuss it here!

Moderator: Administration Team

rbendtzen
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: ALF movie got the Green light!

Post by rbendtzen »

Yeah! This is great News!

If the movie is successful, perhaps we'll see an American dvd release of the Alf sitcom containing uncut episodes, with all music intact.
XXBadMushroomXX
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: for a while now

Post by XXBadMushroomXX »

Well we know it's gonna be a cgi alf instead
Of the puppet witch is kinda a good thing!
But I can't wait to see the actual teaser
But it will be a while till that happens! Hopefully
By the end of the year we get a teaser, There
Probably working on the character model right now.
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

It's easy as fans to sit back and be overly critical. I am as excited as ever, and puppet or not this film is going to be amazing! Think of all of the new ALF fans there will be after this :!:
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
Worm Raider
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by Worm Raider »

After having time to mull over recent announcements, I have come to the realization that this is nothing but great news. While some may say people shouldn't be that critical, I think it also shows the passion for the subject. ALF has meant a lot to many people, so to see the character change in any way can be a shock. I don't think most fans are all that upset about the shape the movie will take rather than just having an involuntary reaction to being told something they hold dear won't be exactly as they remember it. I would certainly fall in this group. It seemed like a gut check to hear ALF would not be the puppet I've known and loved over the years.

However, I realize that this is probably the only way ALF could make a true comeback. In today's world, you don't see many shows in the likes of the Muppets. Most shows geared towards children are that of computer animation in some form or another. While the Muppets returned as the puppets we all know, the Muppets as a franchise has been so big that it is widely accepted as such. While ALF was hugely popular in it's time, it did not sustain this popularity for that long. The fan base for ALF might be size-able and diverse, but it pales in comparison to that of say the Muppets. The risk/reward of making ALF CGI might be what gave the project a green light. I would imagine it would be easier to shoot and it gives the character a lot more freedom. In the tv series, ALF is either standing behind an object or he is shot from the chest up. It would be great to see a fully mobile character without the restrictions of how he must be shot. This also doesn't mean the ALF puppet will be going away anytime soon as stated in other posts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the puppet introduce clips. Furthermore, imagine ALF taking interviews for the movie. I would love to see ALF on Conan! This opens up many opportunities for the character to return to tv in some form.

At the end of the day, we all must realize that this movie is a great achievement. I never imagined we'd ever see ALF on the big screen. So, how can I say this is not the way the movie should take shape? All I want is the movie to be a success. I hope a new generation will enjoy the character as much as I did when I was a child. That way ALF may be able to live on.
Ha! I kill me!
Gordo
Phlegm Dealer

Post by Gordo »

Worm Raider wrote:In the tv series, ALF is either standing behind an object or he is shot from the chest up. It would be great to see a fully mobile character without the restrictions of how he must be shot. This also doesn't mean the ALF puppet will be going away anytime soon as stated in other posts. I wouldn't be surprised to see the puppet introduce clips. Furthermore, imagine ALF taking interviews for the movie. I would love to see ALF on Conan! This opens up many opportunities for the character to return to tv in some form.
I disagree slightly. While it's great there will be a movie (we hope, projects dont always get made after this stage) I think they still need to keep the character fairly similar to the original - if he's going to turn into a 3ft full body alien in just about every shot then it will be in danger of looking very "kid" tv. I thought seeing ALF close up above the waist a lot helped put him on a level with the Tanners. He was a strong personality. Also as for using ALF puppet in TV interviews, it may well be they dont do that so as not to confuse the audience - it would be great if they did though.

Taking on the Smurfs director, going full CGI sounds like they are targetting this at 8 year olds, but that just isn't ALF. I'm hoping Paul Fusco or Tom Patchett do interviews as time goes on making clear that ALF will still be edgy but at this stage it just sounds like they have sold the rights to Sony who have other ideas.