No votes
67%

Total votes: 3

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Rate & review season 2

Post by ALFicionado »

From 1-10 stars, how would you rate the second season of ALF? Those of you who'd like to could also write a short (or long, if you prefer it) review of the season.

By the way, I changed the rating system from 1-5 to 1-10 in this poll because I find it much harder to rate a whole season with such a small scale.

R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
NoProblem86
Asteroid Polisher
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: Rate & review season 2

Post by NoProblem86 »

Season 2 of ALF (87-88) brought about some changes. For starters, NBC had a bona-fide hit on their hands and spared no expense in promoting their coveted Monday night line-up. ALF was loved by millions, thanx to a surprise First Season smash. Merchandising hit the streets in leaps and bounds and ALF was everywhere.

However, Fusco got some flak for some of ALF's crass behavior. Most notably, the February clip show "Try to Remember" featured the lovable furball getting electrocuted, causing him to lose his memory. Despite a public service annoucement made by ALF at the end of the episode warning his young viewers about the dangers of mixing electric and water, parents loudly voiced their concerns. Fusco then re-edited the episode to feature ALF slipping on the bathroom floor instead. The original, shocking version is now a rarity and has not been aired since 1987.

NBC made Fusco tame ALF somewhat, and he became more wholesome. Fusco's deeper ALF voice became higher pitched and more fun loving instead of belligerant and rough. In addition, Max Wright dropped his trademark oversized glasses for most of the season, until viewers commented that they liked him better bespectacled. Overall, the raw edge of the show that made it so popular during its freshman season had been smoothed over.

Perhaps as a reflecting of NBC's concerns, the season opener "Working My Way Back to You" features the Tanners giving ALF an ultimatum: shape up or ship out. Fusco used the episode to prove to both NBC and the Tanners that the furry alien could clean up his act without losing his basic fun-loving traits.

NBC, rarely above taking nine bites of the cherry, commissioned a Saturday Morning animated counterpart entitled ALF: The Animated Series, which debuted during the 87-88 season as well. In addition, they were not above spending capital to obtain guest stars. "Somewhere Over the Rerun" featured four cast members from the 60s sitcom Gilligan's Island, while extra expenses were made for exterior shots needed for the hour-long holiday-themed "ALF's Special Christmas". Also, new character Jake was added to the cast mid-season to give ALF a buddy to bounce off of, since Brian and Lynn had limited appeal.

Some notable episodes were "Some Enchanted Evening", where ALF crashes the Tanner's Halloween party; "Something's Wrong With Me" is memorable for ALF's loud, reverberating Melmacian hiccups that nearly destroy Dorothy's wedding, and "Night Train", where Alf and Willie hop a freight train in search of adventure.

Overall, Season Two proved that ALF's success was not a fluke. It was also the last of the four seasons to feature so many high quality episodes.
"Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back. HA!"