50%

Total votes: 2

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

#42: We're So Sorry, Uncle Albert

Post by ALFicionado »

Production #2016 - 25 Jan 88

ALF is afraid he may have literally scared Willie's Uncle Albert to death.

Written By: Paul Fusco
Directed By: Nick Havinga

Guest Cast: Elisha Cook Jr. (Uncle Albert)

Title: The title is derived from the first line of the Paul McCartney song, Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Re: #42: We're So Sorry, Uncle Albert

Post by Mystiness EX »

I only managed to watch the first part of it. Just what happened to Uncle Albert? Can spoilers be revealed for me?
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

ALF is staying outside in a tent while Uncle Albert is visiting. Unfortunately, ALF has absconded with the TV and is watching it in his tent. When Uncle Albert hears the sound of the TV he goes outside to find ALF in his tent and dies of shock at the sight of ALF. When you watch it, I would recommend watching the uncut episode if at all possible, because at this point ALF begins a big celebration at Uncle Albert's passing, which ALF later explains is a common Melmacian funeral custom (to Melmacians death is a time of celebration) - unfortunately, the scene explaining this is cut from the American DVD sets and makes ALF seem very cruel and self-centered when he is celebrating Uncle Albert's death. Willie is angry at ALF for celebrating because Willie says that this is a very sad thing. Brian is confused and doesn't know whether to feel happy or sad and Willie and ALF both express their opinions. Willie says he should be sad because someone that loved him is gone. ALF says you should be happy, because Uncle Albert is happy because he never has to deal with any of the tedium of life, such as getting up and going to work every morning. All of this is also cut from the American DVD version. This was always one of my favorite episodes because it had some really funny parts but also challenged the audience to consider their own feelings on death. Since I was about 8 when this first came out, I felt a lot like Brian, since I had not yet experienced any loss, and I think this episode has ultimately helped me in dealing with death later on - knowing that it's okay to feel sad and to feel happy when someone passes on.

Pretty heavy stuff for a sit com, eh? :)
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

Oh, thanks so much for the summary! So why did Uncle Albert change to become a good person? Or was it really as he said?
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Post by samstokes80 »

It seems to be for the reason he said - that no one had visited him while he was sick in the hospital.