Back Forward Stop Play

Active Topics

Why was it canceled?

Discuss ALF's Hit Talk Show here. If you can't find the answer to your question another forum member will be glad to help you.

Moderator: Administration Team

the_one
Asteroid Polisher

Why was it canceled?

Post by the_one »

Yet another show with ALF cancelled can somebody please tell me why it was cancelled?
"Yo - Lucky, my man"
Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

Post by Admin »

There was never a "formal" reason given by TV-Land (not to my knowledge anyways, I could be wrong), but we're all very certain that the ratings were low.

Although I like ALF's Hit Talk Show it definitely didn't live up to it's potential (IMO).
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
the_one
Asteroid Polisher

Post by the_one »

Thats a shame, how can they have low ratings this is ALF. I know there are alot of people out there wondering the same thing. I thought the show was doing pretty well but I quess not.
"Yo - Lucky, my man"
SpazzInPink
Asteroid Polisher

Post by SpazzInPink »

I never even got to see the show. I also agree that there are plenty of Alf fans out there, what happened? Ah well, can't really change it now... Unless we do bring Alf back!
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

Admin wrote:There was never a "formal" reason given by TV-Land (not to my knowledge anyways, I could be wrong), but we're all very certain that the ratings were low.

Although I like ALF's Hit Talk Show it definitely didn't live up to it's potential (IMO).
Out of curiosity, why did the show not live up to it's potential in your opinion?
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFanatic
RIP 1944-2010, Former Asst. Admin

Post by ALFanatic »

Although there were many humorous moments, even ALF's talent could not overcome the mistakes made by those responsible for the marketing, promotion, production, and direction of "ALF's Hit Talk Show".

Mike
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

Yep, Mike nailed it on the head!
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

I don't know who is right here but I got a copy of the Project ALF DVD with a free keychain (which is awesome may I add) and on this DVD there is a commentary by Paul Fusco. Mr. Fusco said that ALF's Hit Talk Show was very successful and that he was hoping the show would get picked up for more episodes. Would Mr.Fusco lie about ALF to the tons of fans who viewed this DVD?
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

melmacian56,

I have the "Project: ALF" DVD, but have nevr opened it as I often watch on my VHS tape; therefore, I am not aware of the Paul Fusco commentary that you mention. While I have great respect for Mr. Fusco, if he did state that "ALF's Hit Talk Show" was very successful, I can only conclude that he was delusional at time of commentary, or he and I have vastly different definitions for the meaning of the word "successful". Perhaps in a future DVD release, Mr. Fusco might offer another commentary expounding on his criteria for success.

Have you seen "ALF's Hit Talk Show"? If not, hopefully someday you will have opportunity to see the pilot plus six additional episodes that were in the TVLand package. Then, I will leave it up to you to form your own opinion.

Mike
melmacian56
ALF Fan Since: Forever

Post by melmacian56 »

No. Sadly I have not seen ALF's Hit Talk Show because it never made it to Canadian TV which angers me. I suggest you check out the Paul Fusco commentary on the Project: ALF DVD because it has some interesting information about the movie as well as the TV series
"Oops, I made a boo boo".
gordonshumway
Asteroid Polisher

Post by gordonshumway »

i never saw it either it sucks
Aaron
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Aaron »

I don't think that it was ever officially cancelled, they should deffinetly make more episodes
Aaron
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Aaron »

Why don't they give it 7 more episodes, and proper promotion, and mabye put it on at talk show time, like 6 in the morning, and see where it goes, I would love to see alf Deal with the News headlines in a way that only Alf could get away with, we should make an online petition, if anyone knows how, I would sign

Also, it should be a daily thing, not weekly, like any other talk show, a humerous alternitive to Regis and Kelly, a talk show that adults could watch without their kids being bored, I think that it could go far, if it were done right
ALFanatic

Post by ALFanatic »

Aaron,

Actually, there was no need to cancel, for the original contract was for pilot and six episodes. For "ALF's Hit Talk Show" to have continued with additional "new" episodes there would need to have been a new contract established.

Mike
Aaron
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Aaron »

I wish that they would either bring the talk show back, or give us a new sitcom, something alf related
Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Admin »

I agree with you - it would be cool to come up with a new ALF sitcom.

As for the talk show, last time I had contact with Paul Fusco (creator and voice of ALF) he still expressed interest in getting more episodes of ALF's Hit Talk Show created and aired.

I THINK one of Paul Fusco's main concerns right now is getting the sitcom back on the air with re-runs. ALF is an aging alien, and people are starting to forget him - at least with the sitcom on the air it would slow ALF's deterioration and keep him fresh in the eyes of many viewers (who probably haven't seen the episodes at all, or at least not in a long time).

So (in my opinion) if there is ever a hope of getting more episodes of ALF's Hit Talk Show Paul Fusco needs to try to get the sitcom back on the air. The sitcom is the backbone to the ALF franchise, and the only thing that will really help get ALF out there is to get him back on television.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, Aaron!!!
Aaron
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by Aaron »

Thanks,

I get it, it might actually be a " hit " talk show, if they had the re-runs first, and people knew what alf was, I haven't really missed alf, because I have the DVD's, but I suppose a bunch of people don't even know what alf is, maybe that is why it didn't get good ratings, it kind of makes you wish you could pull an alf, go back in time to when it was first running, and rig the ratings, to where it looked like millions were watching ha ha
that was from a season 2 episode, ALF was smart, I wish I could have done that lol