No votes
50%

Total votes: 2

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Rate & review season 1

Post by ALFicionado »

From 1-10 stars, how would you rate the first season of ALF? Those of you who'd like to could also write a short (or long, if you' prefer it) review of the season.

By the way, I changed the rating system from 1-5 to 1-10 in this poll because I find it much harder to rate a whole season with such a small scale.

R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Re: Rate & review season 1

Post by Mystiness EX »

I think I'd actually rate every season with the same score, because I find every season has its own good episodes and not-as-good episodes. I like that this episode has gratuitous amounts of Dorothy, because I find her conflict with ALF very funny. I find Kate's really nice to ALF when you compare her to her mother. XD
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: 1986

My Review of Season 1

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

SEASON ONE is possibly one of the mediocre seasons of the show. The characters are not themselves and the ALF's voice and look are terrible in the first episodes. Anyway it has some of the greatest episodes of the show.

I'l start with "Unaired Pilot" and "A.L.F.". It's a really mediocre episode, but it is mainly so because it is the episode introducing the show. It's kind of unfunny and the characters are still not quite their own. But it is mainly enjoyable and has a few funny one liners.
2/5

Episode two "Strangers in the Night" is a visible change towards better. In it ALF gets stuck in the house while Raquel babysits. It's a funny, witty and clever episode. I loved it. The first classic episode. 4.5/10

Episode three "Looking for Lucky" is a downside but not a major one. It's kind of likable and funny but ultimately nothing new here. 2.5/5

"Pennsylvania 6-5000" is the ultimate example of how a good episode can be spoiled by a terrible ending. Willie getting arrested and ALF criticizing the USA politics sounds like good grounds for a funny episode but (like i said) ending is terrible and annoying. 2/5

"Keepin' the Faith' is a dull episode one which i don't like watching. The plot is nothing much and the jokes are unintelligible and mainly painfully unfunny. 1.5/5

"For Your Eyes Only" is one of the few drama storylines in "ALF". This one unfortunately sets up a continuing character which is neither interesting nor dramatic. "For Your Eyes Only" mainly just exploits Willie's uptightiness and Lynn's permissiveness to create a dull script. The worst of season one. 1/5

"Help Me, Rhonda" is the second of few drama storylines in "ALF". This one actually succeeds to create drama and is possibly one of the few classic episodes from season one. 4/5

"Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?" is a forgettable episode which has a dull story but produces one of the funniest elements of the show. ALF's terrific music video. 2/5

"Jump" is funny, unforgettable and one of the few classics from season one. 5/5

"Baby, You Can Drive My Car" is hilarious and enjoyable. A must-see. 5/5

"On the Road Again" destroys a perfect storyline and makes it into a cheesy and dull story. It's unfunny and forgettable. 2/5

"Oh, Tannerbaum", "Mother and Child Reunion" and "A Little Bit of Soap" creates an interesting but over-long storyline including Dorothy living in the Tanner residence. Dorothy is clever and a funny character but three consecutive episodes are too much. 2/5

"I've Got a New Attitude" takes the Dorothy storyline to a new level. This one is funny, enjoyable and clever. I love ALF's "ability" to speak with the dead. 4/5

"Try to Remember" is the first two-parter and it's great. Alto i think it is too soon in the series for a clip-show the cover story (with ALF loosing his memory) is fantastic. 4.5/5

"Border Song" is a minor forgettable episode which shows you how the writers of a show can loose their ideas pretty quickly. 2/5

"Wild Thing" is an exceptionally funny episode thou the ending seems a bit rushed. 4.5/5

"Going Out of My Head Over You" is a rushed and forgettable episode i don't really like but can stand because it has one funny joke (ALF sleeping with a box on his head) and introduces a great new character (Larry). 2/5

"Lookin' Through the Windows" is my all-time favorite season one to three episode. It's funny enjoyable and clever. I loved it. 5/5

"It Isn't Easy Bein' Green" has a few of stereotype and annoying characters but it is okay to watch. 2/5

"The Gambler" is one of the funniest episodes of the show. 4.5/5

"Weird Science" is clever, witty and absolutely hilarious. 5/5

"La Cuckaracha" becomes boring after a few viewings but is one of the best episodes.4/5

"Come Fly with Me" is the last episode of season one and one of the best. A great episode. 5/5

BEST EPISODE: Lookin' Through the Windows
WORST EPISODE: For Your Eyes Only

Last edited by ALFIsMyIdol on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I merged your topic to the existing Rate & review season 1 thread, hope you don't mind. If you haven't already, please feel free to also rate the season in the existing poll.

Nice review BTW, though I disagree with a lot of it :) I personally feel it's either the best or second best season of the show, perhaps it's tied with season 2 in that position. I love the look and voice of early ALF. His humor was a bit different, but I don't mind that one bit. I also don't feel that the characters took too long before getting settled in their roles. IMO ALF took off from the very first episode, which I rate as one of the best of the whole show. I love it.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFIsMyIdol
Phlegm Dealer

Post by ALFIsMyIdol »

Well it seems we do disagree a lot. But the tastes are never the same. No i don't mind getting merged. I'm intending to review the other seasons and the Project movie. As i go along in my re-watches. I'm currently watching: Come Fly With Me.
That ain't a vision of love, it's a yoghurt commercial !
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

I agree that the episodes that you have rated the highest are some of the best from season 1. I do, however, think you judged a few of them more harshly than I would, as I tend to agree with AxelFoley that this is actually one of my favorite seasons. Personally, season 4 is the one I enjoyed the least, I think mostly because Lynn started getting more rebellious which got old after a while, and in general, the characters started to be less likeable in some ways (in my perception of it anyway).

Of course, I may be partial to season 1 because I was so young when it first came on and I was so excited about it at the time, so it may be partially that I have such fond memories of it, and of how my brothers and I used to reenact so many of the season 1 episodes.