14%

Total votes: 7

Admin
Forum Admin
ALF Fan Since: September 1986

#16/17: Try to Remember (Parts 1 & 2)

Post by Admin »

Production #1023A/1023B - 9 Feb 87

After a strong electric shock leaves ALF with amnesia, he thinks he's an insurance agent named Wayne Schlegal, and the family tries to refresh his memory by recalling recent events in his life.

Written By: Howard and Bob Bendetson, Donald Todd, and Laurie Gelman
Directed By: Tom Patchett

Guest Cast: Judy Landers (Brenda)

Title: The title is derived from a Tom Jones song with the same name.
ALF TV | The Official Unofficial ALF Fan Site!
http://www.alftv.com
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: #16/17: Try to Remember (Parts 1 & 2)

Post by ALFsince86 »

In the old days when the writers went on strike they didn't show a rerun, they made flash-back episodes. This isn't bad, but I think it was too early in the series for something like this. However, for the people that were just coming to the series--having missed the last fifteen episodes--it was a great way for them to play catch up.
Jessica
Orbit Guard Commander

Post by Jessica »

I like the episode. It was still season one so it was a little early, but I still think it's really good.
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

I agree that it was early, but even for a flashback episode this one had many new jokes which were effective. I like the creative way they portrayed a flashback episode.
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I agree that it's an original way to do this kind of an episode. I also agree that it was a bit early in the season to make this episode. Not early for the series, since a lot of these clip shows were done once per season in the 80's. They should have made this episode as the season finale, or possibly the episode before the finale to give a more satisfactory episode as the last for the season.

It does have some new, funny jokes and has that going for it. Love the way ALF laughs when he thinks he's Wayne Schlegel :lol: I give this episode a strong 3-star rating. Probably my least favorite of the season for obvious reasons, but not bad at all.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
NoProblem86
Asteroid Polisher

Does anyone have the original cold open ZAP?

Post by NoProblem86 »

First of all, there is no #16/#17: Try to Remember (Parts 1 & 2). It aired as #16: Try to Remember, special one-hour episode.

I was almost 14 when I first saw this episode on February 9, 1987. I remember, even then, that it seemed premature to compile a clips episode so early in a freshman season. In retrospect, I realized that NBC knew they had a hit on their hands and used the episode to reintroduce new viewers to the previous episodes they had missed. A brilliant stroke of both marketing and cost-savings. And Wayne Schleigel, Michigan Life & Casualty was very very funny.

I was lucky enough to record the original airing, complete with ALF getting zapped. However, I was not home and set the timer on the VCR to record, so I ended up with commercials. Stupid me decided to re-record the summer rerun over the original February airing to eliminate the commercials. Then, to my horror, I heard ALF fall instead of getting electrocuted, and I knew something was different. Then I saw Anne Scheeden overdub her lines to say ALF fell instead and getting shocked and quickly hit "STOP" on the VCR.

Luckily, I did not lose any more of the original broadcast. All I am missing is the original ZAP in the cold open. Everything else is original, including ALF's public service announcement at the end of the show saying "we had fun tonight" and advising the audience to never mix water and electricity. I copied this onto DVD, but would love to have a copy of the original cold open if anyone has it.
"Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back. HA!"
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

Yeah, I have seen it somewhere before. I think I found it on YouTube. I captured an image from it for the Wiki:
http://alf.wikia.com/wiki/Try_to_Remember_(Part_1)

I will check a little bit later tonight and see if I can locate it again.
samstokes80
Senior Orbit Guard

Post by samstokes80 »

NoProblem86
Asteroid Polisher

Post by NoProblem86 »

Thanx, it was great to see the original opening again. Watching the episode in its entirely, one could view it as the end of the old deep-voiced ALF, which Fusco said was hard on his throat. It is a great retrospective of the best early stuff.
"Before you get up for that final snack, I want you to know I'll be right back. HA!"
ilovealf88
Phlegm Dealer
ALF Fan Since: around 2000

Post by ilovealf88 »

Has anybody noticed that ALF's lines seem to re-dubbed in some clips shown in this episode? I think it was because Paul changed his voice between the earlier episodes and this episode.
ALF: I had a cousin. Pretty Boy Shumway. If he didn't like your shoes...
[imitating gun sound] "ak-ak-ak-ak-ak."
Willie: He'd shoot a person because he didn't like his shoes?
ALF: No. He'd just point at you and go, "Ak-ak-ak-ak-ak."
starryalffan
Apprentice Lint Brush
ALF Fan Since: 2010

Post by starryalffan »

I noticed a voice change too.
ALF :)
ALFer86
Apprentice Lint Brush

Post by ALFer86 »

Rewatching ALF recently when I noticed some of the "memories" shown when they are trying to get ALF to remember are actually clips from episodes that air after this one. Scenes from It Isn't Easy...Bein' Green (let me know when this gets irritating) and La Cucaracha (slime ball) are in there.

Anyone know if it was that was in the original airing? Watching the Region 2 DVDs here, grew up on VHS copies.