43%

Total votes: 7

ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

#12: Oh, Tannerbaum

Post by ALFicionado »

Production #1012 - 22 Dec 86

ALF is looking forward to his first white Christmas, like the ones he's read about, but when he learns that it doesn't snow in Los Angeles, and that the Tanners plan to have an artificial Christmas tree, he talks Willie into taking him to the snowy mountains to cut their own tree.

Written By: Donald Todd
Directed By: Rick Gough

Title: This title alludes to the song O Tannenbaum, which is the German verison of Oh Christmas Tree.
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
ALFsince86
RIP, 1974-2011
ALF Fan Since: 1986

Re: #12: Oh, Tannerbaum

Post by ALFsince86 »

I do not like this episode. ALF's ignroance about Christmas traditions comes off as stupidity. I don't think ANYONE (even an alien from outerspace) would chop it into pieces. Additionally, I don't like how angry Willie gets at ALF (this is a family show and I don't like anytime when there is bad language).
ALFicionado
Asst. Admin, formerly AxelFoley
ALF Fan Since: 1988 (re-born fan 2003)

Post by ALFicionado »

I personally love this episode, another terrific one from the season. I don't see ALF's actions being considerably worse than on other occassions.

I usually enjoy Christmas specials a lot and this is not an exception. Of course, it can't compare with the best damned Christmas special ever filmed; ALF's Special Christmas, but it's very good nonetheless. I especially like the scenes where ALF and Willie are trapped in the car together. They have a nice little chat there. It's too bad they didn't make Christmas episodes for the third and fourth season as well. They made two great ones, two years in a row.

I believe this is the only episode (other than the Pilot) where I noticed/remembered a scene that was cut. I distinctly remember Ochmonek asking for more eggnog, hinting that he only wanted brandy in his refill, which Lynn responds "I know" to. In the US DVD release, that part was cut.

This episode gets a 5-star rating from me. Time to carve the pumpkins!
R.I.P. Mike AKA ALFanatic - You'll be missed.

Visit ALFanatic - my new fansite: http://www.alfanatic.webs.com/
Mystiness EX
Cat Wrangler
ALF Fan Since: 2006

Post by Mystiness EX »

This episode was so-so for me. It was certainly a lot less festive than most Christmas episodes, and there aren't really very memorable jokes in there.